Windows 10: Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

Discus and support Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 19, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

Source

labeeman, May 19, 2015

2. I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't want a Start Menu of any kind, Microsoft or third party. I like the current Windows 8.1 Start Screen / All Apps setup. Don't really like the current Windows 10 Start Menu / Screen all that much. Will have to wait and see what the final version looks like I guess.

:)

alphanumeric, May 19, 2015
  3. Third party apps ALL disappeared despite OK compatibility check

Hi Herman,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

Once you upgrade to Windows 10, you can either check the Program Files within the Windows.old folder or the Program Files outside the Windows.old folder. You may also access the Programs and Features screen to check for the applications.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, May 19, 2015
  4. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

Third party apps ALL disappeared despite OK compatibility check

Running the Win10 "Check your PC" shows that my hardware has no problems and "Apps: 0 incompatible". HOWEVER ... when I run the install to completion and everything seems to be running fine, I notice that 100% of the non-Microsoft apps that were installed
    on my Win7 computer have not been brought over. The only files in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories are Microsoft installs like Office, etc. I, of course, immediately reversed the process and restored my Win7 install and everything is back
    in place. Subsequently I have been trying to sort out how to deal with this and find no help available. There is NO APP LIST available after I run the compatibility test. What am I missing here?

Herman Chelette, May 19, 2015
  5. besb Win User
    I rarely use it. I have Object Dock on the desktop - with program grouping. Fences hiding Folders/Shortcuts on the desk top.
    However I also have Classic Shell cascading across the desktop running when I have to drill down.
    Some 100 plus programs/applications which expands to 300 if you count all the exe's (update, configure, uninstall etc.)
    Tiles do not cut it for me to much real estate.

6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

7. Gary Win User
    I bet you loved Windows 3.1*Smile

8. Mystere Win User

God Softpedia are morons.

The majority of Windows 8 users do not use third party start menus. Most Windows 8 users don't even know they exist.

Mystere, May 19, 2015
  9. I agree and have fed MS many times.

It's really a simple thing:
    1) Offer a menu list ala Win78
    2) Offer a most often used menu and All apps menu ala Win8
    3) Offer a conceptual whatever MS thinks is cool menu ala the Frankenstein's monster they have now on 10.0.74
    4) Off a DIY menu builder
    (I have a lot of cool ideas myself - the pieces are there I just can't figure out how to stitch them together and not make the menu static)
    Make me an off I can't refuse

It can't be a design issue - they keep changing it anyway
    It can't be an implementation issue, they already did 3 of the suggestions in previous build
    It can't be a coding issue (oh wait, it might be, they containerized the menu - still, the pieces exist, they just need to containerize the pieces)

So what can it be? Arrogance and lack of vision.

I came across this which I think sums up the issue:

Cloud: A time of momentum
    Cloud: A time of transformation
    Cloud: From Delivering value
    to Driving change

Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On [​IMG]

I understand what it really means, but the subtext also says to me that Windows 10 is change for change sake and more importantly, there's no need to deliver value any more. The other emphasis is wrongly placed on Developers and IT professionals.

It all starts with the end user - developers and IT professionals understand technology and products driven solely by these people rarely result in excellent consumer products. Sure, they're great technological products, but to most people "It's all Geek to me"

The menu isn't as hard as melding the platforms into a single development path.

Slartybart, May 19, 2015
  10. If only these developers could make a Start Screen as in Win 8

Win 10 would be almost perfect for me then

paulsalter, May 19, 2015
  11. Trust_No1 Win User
    Are there facts that support this? or just opinions?

Everyone that is a Windows 8 user (not many) that I know, all use a 3rd party menu.

Trust_No1, May 19, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    I recall seeing recently that Classic Shell, one of the largest free start menu replacements only had 25 million downloads (I think this was in April). Since this number almost certainly includes multiple downloads (each new version is downloaded by the installed base), and there have been 57 releases... let's be generous and say that even if this accounts for 5 million users, that's still only 5% of the total Windows 8.x market. Now, you might argue that this is only one vendor... but the fact is, most users will try out multiple replacements to see which one they like, and it's likely that most users would try Classic Shell, even if they don't use it, so at least a large percentage of those users would be accounted for in other replacement products. So even if we are generous and double it to 10 million. That's only 10% of the users.

Yes, this is all speculation. But the fact of the matter is, most users are not technical... They don't know start menu replacements exist... If you deal with real end users on any regular basis you would know this.

Windows 8.x currently has 11.16% of the market of almost 900 Million PC's. Or, roughly 100 Million.

Mystere, May 19, 2015
  13. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

I do not.

alphanumeric, May 19, 2015
  14. linw Win User
    I support friends in my district and none of them know or care about start menus. I don't care about them, either.

With my win 8 clients I start them booting into the desktop, with commonly used shortcuts on the taskbar and a few on the desktop. Just like we are used to!

Just can't understand the obsessing over the start menu. Are the obsessors people who have 2,000 progs installed?? If so, they certainly aren't in the majority.

15. The stuff I use everyday is pined to my taskbar. The other frequently used stuff is on my Start Screen. Anything else I need I go to All Apps for. The Start Menu part of the Windows 10 Start Menu/Screen is just a waste of my screen space. I also boot to desktop.

alphanumeric, May 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On - Similar Threads - Despite Third Party

2. windows third party virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows third party virus: So i have this problem where i apperently have a third party virus. i have tried many diffrent ways to get rid of it but i still cant get it to go away so if you know anything about it please reach out and help me...
  3. windows third party virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows third party virus: So i have this problem where i apperently have a third party virus. i have tried many diffrent ways to get rid of it but i still cant get it to go away so if you know anything about it please reach out and help me...
  4. third party calls.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    third party calls.: Is anyone having issues with making third party calls ? im using windows I already install and uninstall skype and restarted my computer. im using the latest version of skype. there is no dial pad available and it happen to several people.Moved from Spanish Forum...
  5. Windows 10 suspending third party programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 suspending third party programs: A couple weeks ago Windows started suspending a third party program that's installed on my computer, upon executing the program you can see it on a 'running' state in the Task Manager but then it shows a 'Suspended' state, it's removed from the processes list and doesn't...
  6. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  7. Third Party Free

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Third Party Free: If the likes of Kaspersky Free or Bitdefender Free are downloaded does Windows 10 stop updating completely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/third-party-free/2137ca8d-a7d6-4bd1-8b93-714c0f810ec0
  8. third party reseller

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    third party reseller: Is purchasing Microsoft products from Brytesoft.com legal? Their website says “When big businesses buy in bulk, sometimes they end up with more licenses than they need. We buy them cheap and pass the savings on to you. It’s the same software at a much lower price.” Does...
  9. Third party drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Third party drivers: I recently purchased a microscope and a microscope camera so I could view the microscope on screen, I loaded the driver and this seemed to be OK, however, when I connected the camera a fault code came up and the computer would not allow me to run the camera. I later found out...
  10. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

in Windows 10 News
    A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...: Windows 10 will finally bring back the Start menu, after approximately three years of struggle and criticism coming from users who couldn't figure out an easy way to work on their computers without such a feature. However, Microsoft decided that, together with the...