Windows 10: Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

Discus and support Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; @Mystere "Yes, this is all speculation. But the fact of the matter is, most users are not technical... They don't know start menu replacements exist...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 19, 2015.

1. besb Win User

Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

@Mystere "Yes, this is all speculation. But the fact of the matter is, most users are not technical... They don't know start menu replacements exist... If you deal with real end users on any regular basis you would know this."

Spot on.
    some 10 neighbours/friends with new PC's asked me how to revert to Win7 as they could not cope with 8/8.1.
    I installed Classic Start booting to the desktop and are now happy - not having a clue about replacement start menus or even using settings to change anything - they live with defaults. Usage email, facebook, shopping, itunes, photos. fullstop.
    Their desktops are covered in Icons that programs installed automatically as are items running on startup that they hardly ever use.

The problem with any forum such as this one is that the members take an interest in the OS itself.
    We represent about 1 in 50,000 using win 8 or 1 in 450,000 using Mystere's numbers - not a representitive sample of the general public. But I would love to know how MS do there sampling.

2. gzt7d8 Win User

I guess I must be in the minority, I actually like the Start Menu in Windows 10 and won't be using a 3rd party software as I am now in Win 8.1. I pin a half dozen of my frequently used apps on the Task Bar but those that I need occasionally will be pinned to the Start Menu. *Biggrin

gzt7d8, May 20, 2015
  3. Tony K Win User
    Not sure what you mean by "sampling", but Microsoft does perform telemetry through the CEIP. Here's an excerpt from a blog.

Source: Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I realize that's a little old, but it's the reason they headed in a different direction with 8. I think the big mistake they made was not introducing the option to boot to the desktop screen as we see in 8.1. Use of All apps screen instead of Start Screen also.

Not sure about you, but I can't tell you how many desktop screens I've seen with icons plastered all over it. I think that's where they got the idea of the Start Screen. Personally I don't understand how people miss the beauty of the Start Screen. Being a "keyboarder" for years the touch-oriented UI actually makes navigation with the keyboard much quicker. At-a-glance personal information also.

To me the Start Screen/All apps combo Start menu in 10 is actually a big step backwards so far as navigation with a keyboard, but at least there's the personal info.

Tony K, May 20, 2015
  4. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

Once people learn about other options, they tend to go that route (taskbar pins, toolbars, even folders on the desktop). There are some firends that I can't get to clean up their desktop - hundreds of icons .. the reason is they know where to click. I've cleaned up many desktops and the complaint is "I can't find anything now" and they put everything back where it was (this is more common than you would think - but there are a lot of left brainers out there 50% *Wink )

I wouldn't categorize it as an obsession with the menu (I really, really dislike the Start reference). I think most members want Win10 to be a huge success and they remember the faux issue with Win8.0 - I for one do not want Win10 to fail on similar issue. Even after Win 8.1 - no one wanted it. There are many members who prefer the Win8.1 Menu and All apps screen - I think the All apps screen is far superior to the tiny alpha-numeric sorted, un-groupable (Ok, you can put all 3rd party apps in a alpha-numeric folder with alpha-numeric sub-folders), frequently used, recently, used, just added, apps. I get tired of clicking to remove these buggers.

Anyway - it's more of a desire to make this thing the best it can be, and not, IMO, an obsession. MS simply rubber banded and bubble gummed a crappy list to a very good menu (again - that's my opinion).

As many members have already stated (and I have ad infinitum)- this iteration of the menu went in the wrong direction. It is less functional than the All Apps and less pleasing to the eye.

Slartybart, May 20, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I like it as well but in Win8.1 I use a third party start menu.

BunnyJ, May 20, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    I have played with 3rd party options, but I prefer an 8.1 start over all others

7. meebers Win User
    I use 3rd party on 8.1, will probably use it with 10 as well on my PC. I unpin every app from the desktop except the recycle bin. The apps on the desktop remind me of a 3rd grade coloring book starting with win8. I'll do textual "flyouts" from the taskbar if the 3rd party is unsatisfactory. On the otherhand, will stick with apps on my window phone screen. *Biggrin ..and no I am not going with Linux, will ride W7 to the end and then put it away wet.

meebers, May 20, 2015
  8. Trust_No1 Win User

I am not certain that, that is an accurate reflection. Personally, I use Start8, loaded it on at least 10 different systems, and that I think is the most popular since Stardock has been around for years, and had a built in customer base. There are a couple of others. I didn't even know Classic Menu existed until reading about it here. In many of the article I read about menus, Start8 is the one most mentioned.

So, I believe the numbers may be skewed just a bit. I think 3rd party menus have a substantially larger usage than one might think.

Trust_No1, May 20, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    That's why I doubled the number, to account for some percentage of users who have replaced their start menu but did not try Classic Shell. I think that's a fair estimation, but you are free to believe whatever you want.

Mystere, May 20, 2015
  10. On Win 8 I have used Start8 - but in Win8 style, which is more or less what Win 10 Start Menu is now, and even then it is only for checking live tiles, go for Settings or search for anything. The same was in Win7 - Control Panel, search. No Programs folder drilling...

Olivir2014, May 21, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    You guys know you can remove all the apps on the menu by selecting unpin from start. Then your just left with the menu itself. No distractions.

swarfega, May 21, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Yup.. I did that and it's great.. *Wink

BunnyJ, May 21, 2015
  13. dmex Win User

Bring back ProgMan! *chuckle

Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On [​IMG]

Too many options/choices/customization has always proven to be a bad thing in the past. *Huh

14. BunnyJ New Member
    How?? When a third party start works why is that a bad thing?? *really

BunnyJ, May 21, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Stardock has a 30 day trial of Start10 available. I'm using it and like it but then I liked and use Start 8u on Win 8.1 as well.

I wish this Start Menu / no Start Menu would just go away. Let people use what they want and stop denigrating one or the other. Both ways are useful so let people decide what they want to use.

Ztruker, May 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On - Similar Threads - Despite Third Party

2. windows third party virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows third party virus: So i have this problem where i apperently have a third party virus. i have tried many diffrent ways to get rid of it but i still cant get it to go away so if you know anything about it please reach out and help me...
  3. windows third party virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows third party virus: So i have this problem where i apperently have a third party virus. i have tried many diffrent ways to get rid of it but i still cant get it to go away so if you know anything about it please reach out and help me...
  4. third party calls.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    third party calls.: Is anyone having issues with making third party calls ? im using windows I already install and uninstall skype and restarted my computer. im using the latest version of skype. there is no dial pad available and it happen to several people.Moved from Spanish Forum...
  5. Windows 10 suspending third party programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 suspending third party programs: A couple weeks ago Windows started suspending a third party program that's installed on my computer, upon executing the program you can see it on a 'running' state in the Task Manager but then it shows a 'Suspended' state, it's removed from the processes list and doesn't...
  6. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  7. Third Party Free

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Third Party Free: If the likes of Kaspersky Free or Bitdefender Free are downloaded does Windows 10 stop updating completely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/third-party-free/2137ca8d-a7d6-4bd1-8b93-714c0f810ec0
  8. third party reseller

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    third party reseller: Is purchasing Microsoft products from Brytesoft.com legal? Their website says “When big businesses buy in bulk, sometimes they end up with more licenses than they need. We buy them cheap and pass the savings on to you. It’s the same software at a much lower price.” Does...
  9. Third party drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Third party drivers: I recently purchased a microscope and a microscope camera so I could view the microscope on screen, I loaded the driver and this seemed to be OK, however, when I connected the camera a fault code came up and the computer would not allow me to run the camera. I later found out...
  10. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

in Windows 10 News
    A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...: Windows 10 will finally bring back the Start menu, after approximately three years of struggle and criticism coming from users who couldn't figure out an easy way to work on their computers without such a feature. However, Microsoft decided that, together with the...