Windows 10: Destination Path to Long

Discus and support Destination Path to Long in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Gargoyle_934, May 25, 2023.

1. Destination Path to Long

Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that satisfies me. or at all.I have found how much is the largest characters you can place in a file folder what have you, but not when "Destination Path to Long" begins to happen, or how to manage it. Like what are the number of characters allowed in subfolders and how many subfolders you can have with any given account of

:)

Gargoyle_934, May 25, 2023
  2. JayTan08 Win User

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Hi my name is Jay, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

I understand that Long Paths is already enabled in Local Group Policy, can you also do it in the registry as suggested in this article?

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-destination-path-to...

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask questions and keep me on track. I will keep working on this issue until it's resolved, thank you.

Regards,

Jay

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

JayTan08, May 25, 2023
  3. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command:

Code:
    [b]gpupdate /target:computer /force[/b]
    But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error [b]
    Destination path too long The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.[/b]
    Thanks in advance.

StavrosStavridis2, May 25, 2023
  4. XXtanyaXX Win User

Destination Path to Long

"Destination Path Too Long" Error? (?revisted?)

Trying to COPY a 5.x GB folder from a WINDOWS XP PRO drive to a WINDOWS 10 PC - with more and more "Destination Path Too Long" ERRORS.

I can’t tell WHERE the culprits are (I.E. Searching is taking A LONG TIME); how much of the copy has succeeded, (The green graph appears for a millisecond) Or any other possibly useful info.. about the attempted copy.

There are only the 2 options: SKIP or CANCEL (deleting the partially copied contents (trying to) is no easy matter (for the recycle bin - with the path limit).

I would greatly appreciate UP-TO-DATE measures - I already edited the path key in the registry weeks ago - no help.

Shortening every path is not an option.

1. Are there any UP-TO-DATE unbloated <free> utilities people can suggest for this?

2. Is there a patch yet?

3. Could someone post a link on mapping the drive - I cannot find or understand it (assuming it will work)?

Thank you in advance

P.S.

SUGGESTIONS to MS:

A) Include a warning (like the "illegal" filename characters) if path names are exceeding the 200+ character limit.

B) Provide a way to edit the file / path in the error message windows...

XXtanyaXX, May 25, 2023
Thema:

Destination Path to Long

1. Destination Path to Long - Similar Threads - Destination Path Long

2. Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying: I am copying files from a EHD to my documents folder. I get an error saying "destination path too long" and with an option to skip or cancel. I have thousands of files in the folders that I am copying. How do I find out which files have a "destination path too long". Is there...
  3. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  4. Long Paths

Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  5. Destination Path to Long

Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  6. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  7. Destination Path Too Long

Destination Path Too Long: Hello - Does anyone know which builds of Windows 10 Pro support file paths longer than 260 characters on NTFS volumes? Better yet, does anyone know how to remove that limitation? I am using Windows 10 Pro ver. 20H2 It seems that in this version the group policy "Enable...
  8. "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??: Trying to copy/dump a bunch of files & dirs from an external HDD (given by someone else), but getting the ol' "Destination Path Too Long" error ----- even tho i already have "LongPathsEnabled" set to 1 in registry (did this a long time ago). wtf? Why might this happen? HDD...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...