Windows 10: "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

Discus and support "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ?? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Trying to copy/dump a bunch of files & dirs from an external HDD (given by someone else), but getting the ol' "Destination Path Too Long" error -----... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pooch76, Apr 10, 2020.

1. "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

Trying to copy/dump a bunch of files & dirs from an external HDD (given by someone else), but getting the ol' "Destination Path Too Long" error ----- even tho i already have "LongPathsEnabled" set to 1 in registry (did this a long time ago). wtf? Why might this happen?

HDD is Seagate 4TB, NTFS. Originally had the issue trying to copy to a QNAP NAS share (via my windows PC). But NOW just tried copying a local drive and had same problem (tho it was pointing out a different path as the culprit this time).

FWIW, the person who created these dirs uses both a Windows & Mac with this HDD.

I do see recommended work-arounds online like xcopy, but i'm mostly wondering why the reg edit isn't preventing the issue. I'm an American dammit - i deserve better! /s

submitted by /u/Pooch76
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Pooch76, Apr 10, 2020
  2. behsk Win User

Error 'Destination path too long' - File name would be too long for the destination folder.'

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise, I set the 'LongPathsEnabled' to 1 using regedit, I also Enabled the option 'Enable Win32 long paths' using gpedit.msc.

Detail instruction can be found at this link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/?

Unfortunately, the limit still applies in my windows PC even after re-boot, despite hopes of its limit removal.

Any other workaround?

(Shorten the file names is not an acceptable solution, as I work on code base.)

behsk, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Destination path too long

Hi,

Long paths works for NTFS file system only.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/...

Enable Long Paths in Windows 10, Version 1607, and Later

Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.

To enable the new long path behavior, both of the following conditions must be met:

The registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD) must exist and be set to 1. The key's value will be cached by the system (per process) after the first call to an affected Win32 file or directory function
    (see below for the list of functions). The registry key will not be reloaded during the lifetime of the process. In order for all apps on the system to recognize the value of the key, a reboot might be required because some processes may have started before
    the key was set.

Note

This registry key can also be controlled via Group Policy at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > Enable NTFS long paths.

https://mspoweruser.com/ntfs-260-character-wind...

If you wish to utilize this feature, however, you will be required to make some edits to using Group Policy. Follow the steps below:

Open Group Policy Editor (Press Windows Key and type gpedit.msc and hit Enter key.

Navigate to the following directory: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > NTFS.

Click Enable NTFS long paths option and enable it.

Regards,

Lee

Standard Disclaimer: There maybe links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly
    research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Lee Teck Koon, Apr 10, 2020
  4. JayTan08 Win User

"Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Hi my name is Jay, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

I understand that Long Paths is already enabled in Local Group Policy, can you also do it in the registry as suggested in this article?

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-destination-path-to...

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask questions and keep me on track. I will keep working on this issue until it's resolved, thank you.

Regards,

Jay

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

JayTan08, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

"Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

1. "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ?? - Similar Threads - Destination Path Too

2. Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.: I can see this has been reported many times but I can't seem to find any resolution to the issue.I have set the LongPathEnabled to 1 in the Registry Editor and updated Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled in Local Group Policy Editor, and I am still not able to use a file path...
  3. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  4. Destination Path to Long

Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  5. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Path too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Path too long: I downloaded a big file and I need to extract it, but some paths are too long.I worry that if I rename the file stuff won't work as intended, also there are a lot of long files so I don't really know what to do....
  7. Path too long

Path too long: I downloaded a big file and I need to extract it, but some paths are too long.I worry that if I rename the file stuff won't work as intended, also there are a lot of long files so I don't really know what to do....
  8. Destination Path Too Long

Destination Path Too Long: Hello - Does anyone know which builds of Windows 10 Pro support file paths longer than 260 characters on NTFS volumes? Better yet, does anyone know how to remove that limitation? I am using Windows 10 Pro ver. 20H2 It seems that in this version the group policy "Enable...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. path too long despite long path enabled