Windows 10: destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res

Discus and support destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My resolution for windows 10 was 1360x768 using a tv fixed the issue once but not sure how beside uninstalling my drivers for my raidion rx 480. i was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zachhoskins, Jun 8, 2020.

1. destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res

My resolution for windows 10 was 1360x768 using a tv fixed the issue once but not sure how beside uninstalling my drivers for my raidion rx 480. i was palying killing floor 1 the first time it happened but it happened again when i played senran kagura it set the screen to 1280x780. so now my destop res is zoomed out/widen i went to my setting and its still on 1360x768 but isnt actually that. changing it and going back hasn't done anything

:)

Zachhoskins, Jun 8, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Does running a game fullscreen at a lower resolution other than the native resolution on your PC hurt or damage the monitor in any way?

It's safe to use standard low resolutions such as 1680x1050, or lower on a monitor with a native 1920x1080 res.

The only disadvantage is the image is not as sharp (not dramatically ) on an LCD monitor when not using

the native res compared to using a lower res on the old CRT monitors.

Anything that is shown on the Display > Resolution tab, or in games graphics setup would be a standard resolution.

- A small drop in res such as this may yield a few extra fps, but lowering or disabling Anti-aliasing

(a higher res is similar to using 2XAA for reducing jagged edges ), or PhysX may be more productive,

followed by texture settings and draw distance.

- Using a 'custom' resolution may damage the monitor, but it is more likely to be rejected and

cause an 'out of range' or similar error message in conjunction with a black screen.

The exception here is if your are using Nvidia's DSR, or the AMD equivalent, to attain a higher than native res

as this is done at driver level.

EDIT: Note the comment ...

"Playing high resolution game in lower resolution may cause problem with the game and the

game may not work smoothly."

is misinformed. The game may not look as good if you use a very low res, but that's the only issue.

- It is also safe to change the monitors resolution (vs using the in game settings), but not it's necessary

with games.

BossDweeb, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Axymeus Win User
    Preventing resolution breaking when playing a game fullscreen

I am sorry if the title sounds misleading, I'm not entirely sure how to best word this. I have a 3840x2160p monitor. When I play demanding games I usually have to play at a lower resolution. However I also want to play fullscreen otherwise the game will be confined to a small window, but then it breaks the resolution of the desktop and of the second screen, moving all the open windows in odd places...

Is there a way to play fullscreen at lower resolution without impacting either the second monitor or other windows size and position? Failing that, maybe a way to play in borderless fullscreen at lower resolution?

Axymeus, Jun 8, 2020
  4. cr3stc3nt Win User

destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res

Using High Resolution on Game using lower monitor resolution on notebook ASUS

I'm playing a game and using GeDoSato game profile that can add custom render resolution that is not on this game. For example, the max resolution is 1366 x 768 on that game.

By using GeDoSato, I can render resolution, for example 3200 x 1800 so I can play using that resolution.

The problem is on GeDoSato we can downsampling it or show it with 3200 x 1800 resolution but its over limit the monitor so what I see is half of display.
    What I want is how to settings it so if I'm using 3200 x 1800 display on 1366 x 768 monitor, it not showing half display.

But showing 3200 x 1800 on a 1366 x 768 monitor is by shrunken display or make it smaller than normal. So what I mean is 3200 x 1800 resolution is FIT on 1366 x 768 without downsampling.

Because I already had an old monitor, that monitor maximum resolution is 800 x 600 as far as I remember. But my graphic resolution until 1024 x 768. I tried setting the resolution graphic into 1024 x 768. So it means over the maximum resolution monitor.

It's working, but with smaller text, picture.

That is what I want. Using High Resolution than maximum monitor and the display is FIT but smaller.

Can someone help me? How to set it?

I'm using notebook ASUS with specification:

1. OS: Windows 10
    2. Display Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    3. VGA : Nvidia GeForce 930M
    4. Max Resolution on my notebook: 1366 x 768
    5. ASUS
    6. Type : A456URK -> A456UR is okay A456URK is newer hardware

Note: what resolution I change is on the game. So when I play the game, I'm using Nvidia GeForce 930M. Intel is only for displaying others than the game.
    Please help me how to show high resolution display on monitor with lower resolution than display example: monitor 1366x768. But I want show 3200 x 1800 display on the game without cut off or only show half. But the display is more shrunken / smaller but FIT without downsampling.

cr3stc3nt, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res

1. destop resolution changes after playing a game with lower res - Similar Threads - destop resolution changes

2. Lower resolution games playing in small window?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lower resolution games playing in small window?: I was trying to play a game at a lower resolution than is my screens normal resolution 1080p instead of 3072 x 1920 and the game made my entire laptop screen into a small window that only took up a a little over a quarter of the screen, with the game playing in an even...
  3. Lower resolution games playing in small window?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lower resolution games playing in small window?: I was trying to play a game at a lower resolution than is my screens normal resolution 1080p instead of 3072 x 1920 and the game made my entire laptop screen into a small window that only took up a a little over a quarter of the screen, with the game playing in an even...
  4. Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution: Recently I bought a 4k monitor and tried to play Apex Legends in full HD resolution. because I want to use it as 4k for programming and 4k requires too much power to play games.But I noticed that when games go into full HD full screen mode, Windows also go into HD resolution....
  5. Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution: Recently I bought a 4k monitor and tried to play Apex Legends in full HD resolution. because I want to use it as 4k for programming and 4k requires too much power to play games.But I noticed that when games go into full HD full screen mode, Windows also go into HD resolution....
  6. Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution: Whenever I try to switch the refresh rate in my display settings from 60hz to anything else, my monitor is 144hz and my graphics card is capable of running it the resolution is immediately lowered quite a lot for my entire pc. It isn't like the higher you make the refresh...
  7. Screen Resolution Changing to Lower Setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Resolution Changing to Lower Setting: I developed an App using Visual Basic 2010. Compiled, packaged and distributed it. The app is working well on most computers. But on some Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series notebooks with Windows 10, the moment my app launches (ONLY MY APP), the screen resolution automatically...
  8. Changing resolution after playing Battlefield Vietnam?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing resolution after playing Battlefield Vietnam?: For some reason after playing Battlefield Vietnam, or any old DOS game, my computer resolution becomes smaller than my default is. I reset it, but it happens every time I play and I'd like to keep my game. Is there any easy fix? thanks!...
  9. Games minimized to destop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games minimized to destop: With the recent automatic update of 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4340917), a problem arises in that I cannot play any games now. All games, within 2 seconds, minimize to desktop and the only solution has been to uninstall the...
  10. Prevent windows resizing when running lower res fullscreen games

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent windows resizing when running lower res fullscreen games: I have a laptop that has two graphics card (Intel Integrated 520 and GeForce 940M G), and not sure if it's the result of the first one, but whenever I run a new game it starts in a very low resolution. Most of the modern games support 1080p (my screen's native resolution),...