Windows 10: Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA

Discus and support Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to share my upgrade experience here as Microsoft has several failures here that need to be remedied and addressed, hopefully this feedback won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Leonard_4444, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA

I need to share my upgrade experience here as Microsoft has several failures here that need to be remedied and addressed, hopefully this feedback won't fall on deaf ears here on the community forums.

I just completed another custom PC build for myself, re-used my Windows Pro OS installation from my previous PC that I retired. This is my first time utilizing a SSD as I've seen mixed reviews on its performance. The new build installed great and everything installed smoothly until I tried to install my previous purchase of MS Flight Simulator 2020 which would not allow me to install via the MS Store.

Contact the MSFS support team started a VERY frustrating chain of events, which I would eventually learn were all issues from MS Windows. I was finally directed to a link to contact Windows support using their Phone Support service. Some 10 or so link selections later I finally had a phone number to call only to get an automated message stating that phone service is no longer available and that I should use the web support at support.microsoft.com. Going to this website provided nothing but FAQ, nowhere is there any link or option to contact someone about any type of help/support that could be found. Every link that appeared to lead you to help simply redirected you to some FAQ page or back to the support.microsoft.com page.

Since I was left alone to resolve this issue, I did finally notice a few issues that seemed to be the source of my issue. Using the "Check for Updates" feature repeatedly told me my Windows was up to date, but if I used the System Requirements tab on the MSFS store page, it stated my OS needed 18362.0 or higher and flagged me as not meeting this requirement. It also provided me a link to download a Windows10Upgrade9252.exe file that would manage the update, which I did download.

Immediately after running this application, my PC crashed and the screen went black, no blue screen of death. A few reboots attempts did occasionally allow Windows to restart, but only for a few moments. Once reaching the desktop, the OS was unresponsive, couldn't move a mouse, type, and eventually got a Windows fatal error and the system went black again. A web search reveals I am not the only one to have had their SSD destroyed at the hands of Windows and some tips on how to recover. Checking on the SSD with my BIOS revealed the card now intermittent, sometimes recognizing the presence, but usually not. My conclusion is this card has been fried and now unreliable for use. The card being new with only 2 days of constant use till this point can hardly be considered worn out.

Out with the SSD, in with a HDD and another round of Windows install and I'm back up and running to the same upgrade point I had before, to build version 15063.1418 where Windows updates just stopped. I run the Windows updated I downloaded earlier and that finally appears to have everything up to date and I'm now able to install my MSFS; though I'm out a SSD.

So who do I contact to get my $150 to replace my 1TB SSD card? And more importantly, if I install another one, how do I install Windows on it without frying it again?

:)

Leonard_4444, Mar 22, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Best SSDs?

Samsung 840 Pro because of its Magician software that lets you:
    • Manually purge deleted data (manual optimization), without waiting for TRIM to ruminate on it, getting instant write performance gains
    • Set overprovisioning amount, without destroying most kinds of partition records (some kinds will get destroyed)
    • Download and update the drive's latest firmware with Windows still running (and running off the drive you're trying to update)
    • Detect if TRIM is working like it should
    These are things that [insert SandForce SSD maker] told us couldn't be done.

btarunr, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Hxtsr.exe PITA

scan sfc nothing...

there is nothing on my computer I don't use except Cortana.. which I can't shut off if I want to do a search.... thanks for that one too.. I keep it as free of crap as I can..

I don't make restore points but do back up on an SSD...

This problem crops up with some updates... not all and it is a real PITA.... 5 minutes "wake up"

OldChicago, Mar 22, 2021
  4. user33331 Win User

Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA

1. Destructive Windows update - SSD destroyed - Quite the PITA - Similar Threads - Destructive update SSD

2. Why is Microsoft Update invasive and destructive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is Microsoft Update invasive and destructive?: WTF???Why does Microsoft feel they have the right to force my computer to shutdown and update itself without getting an acceptance prompt from me, the owner and user of the computer? I had work in progress and left it overnight. The next day I found that your invasive...
  3. Why is Microsoft Update invasive and destructive?

Why is Microsoft Update invasive and destructive?: WTF???Why does Microsoft feel they have the right to force my computer to shutdown and update itself without getting an acceptance prompt from me, the owner and user of the computer? I had work in progress and left it overnight. The next day I found that your invasive...
  4. Why was KB4601554 cumulative update so destructive?

Why was KB4601554 cumulative update so destructive?: My system recently received the May 10, 2021 Windows 21H1 update. Immediately after finishing the update windows update automatically download and applied KB4601554 , May 11, 2021-KB4601554 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.After system restart every user...
  5. Flashplayer destroyed by windows update

Flashplayer destroyed by windows update: After being force fed Windows auto update, flashplayer will no longer play. Error #4000/6000. Is there a solution other than rolling back the update?...
  6. Windows Quit Updating

Windows Quit Updating: My computer won't update anymore. Its last update was 11-17-2019. I manually queued the "check for updates" today and it ran for approx. half an hour and never did anything. I queued the windows update trouble shooter and it did the same thing. It just runs continuously never...
  7. Start menu continues to be a PITA....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu continues to be a PITA....: I have uninstalled every update that has been reported to negatively affect Start Menu function, and have installed all the updates that are supposed to fix the Start Menu. Still no working Start Menu. Thankfully, I can still search and my system tray works, so I can get to...
  8. Microsoft Windows update system destruction?

Microsoft Windows update system destruction?: Hello there everyone. Am I doing something wrong? Why is it that "EVERY SINGLE TIME" my system updates, windows apps, windows store and windows features will stop working/break? The software I develop keeps working, every single 3rd party application keeps working....
  9. How do we get microsoft to quit destroying computers?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do we get microsoft to quit destroying computers?: I started using computers in the days of DOS. Computers where stable then. I would by a new computer every few years as technology advanced. It has been years since I have bought a new computer. The reason I do not buy computers is because Microsoft destroys them. After a...
  10. Can't bypass destructive Windows Update from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't bypass destructive Windows Update from Microsoft: On my Win 10 Pro x64. Microsoft is insistent to install an update which trashes my secondary video adapter, an ATI Radeon HD 4600 series card. My global policies point to my WSUS server running Server 2012 R2 x64. On that WSUS, I declined all device drivers for the HD 4600....