Windows 10: detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created

Discus and support detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; All detached files from email are being saved with current date and time instead of the actual date and time they were created. This is not a good way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HarvWhit, Oct 9, 2021.

1. HarvWhit Win User

detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created

All detached files from email are being saved with current date and time instead of the actual date and time they were created. This is not a good way to track important documents forwarded by others. Looking in the meta data is not a productive solution. The correct dates and times should be shown in explorer. Please fix.

:)

HarvWhit, Oct 9, 2021
  2. WernerGg Win User

Wrong file modification dates/times

I use ActiveSync 4.5 to synchronize my Mobile WM6.1 with my PC WinXP, SP3. I synchronize Office items and files.

ActiveSync

• owerwrites file dates (modified date to be specific) with current transmission date
    • sometimes resyncs all files with no understandable reason and then changes all file dates to current date.
    I know this is a known issue but I could not find any reasonable answer on that nasty behaviour. ActiveSync should synchronize files and not spoil them.

Does anybody know exactly how ActiceSync works?

For reproduction of the problem I made an experiment. Protocol follows. Issues that are ok are marked with "+++". Issues that are bugs in my opinion are marked with "---"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

File created on Mobile, later edited,

Not attached to PC

==> On Mobile:

Create Time: 17:32

Modify Time: 17:37

(Note: I have a tool "TreeSize Mobile" that is able to show creation, change and last access date on WM)

Now USB cable attached.

ActiveSync syncs the file to the PC

==> On PC:

Create Time: 17:40

Modify Time: 17:40

--- This is wrong. Time of transmission, not file dates.

+++ But maybe ok because the file is really created on the PC at this time.

==> On Mobile:

Modify Time: 17:37

+++ This is still unchanged and correct

Even after following runs of ActveSync from other reasons these dates stay unaltered since the file is not transferred again.

+++ This is correct but strange, because the file on the PC is newer than on the mobile.

--- Bug or feature?

Now the File is edited on the PC.

The Mobile is still attached.

Immediately after save of the file:

==> On PC:

Modify Time: 18:12

A short time later the file is transferred to the Mobile.

And back again!

--- Why back again?

==> On Mobile:

Modify Time: 18:13

--- This is wrong. Time of transmission, not file date.

==> On PC:

Modify Time: 18:13

--- This is wrong. Time of transmission, not file date.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot reproduce the case when ActiveSyncs resynchronizes all (!) files. But when it happens then all file modification dates on both ends are wrong, namely current transmission date. Creation dates sometimes survive, sometimes not.

All in all: Never use file dates on your Mobile. They are totally unreliable.

WernerGg, Oct 9, 2021
  3. jlai-17 Win User
    How to save attachment from Outlook without changing the Date Modified to current date

Hi,

I noticed that the Date Modified is changed to current date when I save an attachment from Outlook 2016 in Windows 10.

Previously, the Date Modified was based on the date/time of when the file was attached to the email, instead of date/time of when the file was saved from the email.

Somehow, something changed in Windows/Outlook in the last few weeks/month.

Is there a way to revert to either the original date of the attachment or the date the file was attached to the email or the date of the email, INSTEAD of the current date/time of saving the attachment.

This is critical because we will be able to tell if we have already the same copy of the attachment in our folder. If the Date Modified is based on current date/time, we can save it many times and have different dates but not know if the file is the same
    or a different version.

Thanks

Jeff

jlai-17, Oct 9, 2021
  4. Aries Win User

detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created

save date/time shows wrong time

The date and time are accurate in my Windows 10 clock but when I saved a file this morning it came up with 4/25/16 and a time which didn't correspond to the correct time either.

This is the first time it has happened.

I rebooted my computer and then checked the properties on the file in question.

What happened is that the date and time the photo was taken is appearing as the date and time of the file when I am saving it. So I guess there may be some setting which needs adjusting. Apparently the date and time of the original online source is overriding
    my computer's date and time.

I would like for my files to continue to be saved with the date and time that I save them, not the date and time that the photo or creation is appearing according to the original source.

Aries, Oct 9, 2021
Thema:

1. detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created - Similar Threads - detached files being

2. Date and time will not stay current

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date and time will not stay current: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 11. The time and date will not stay accurate. I am able to sync it, but when I close the laptop down then restart it, the time displayed is the time and date it was shut down....
  3. Date and time will not stay current

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Date and time will not stay current: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 11. The time and date will not stay accurate. I am able to sync it, but when I close the laptop down then restart it, the time displayed is the time and date it was shut down....
  4. detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created: All detached files from email are being saved with current date and time instead of the actual date and time they were created. This is not a good way to track important documents forwarded by others. Looking in the meta data is not a productive solution. The correct dates...
  5. detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    detached files being saved with current date and time instead of date and time created: All detached files from email are being saved with current date and time instead of the actual date and time they were created. This is not a good way to track important documents forwarded by others. Looking in the meta data is not a productive solution. The correct dates...
  6. "Date Created" on files resets every time I save!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Date Created" on files resets every time I save!: I sort my music production files by Date created often to remember what I started and when. On my new PC I've found that "Date Created" is acting exactly like "Date Modified" when saving files. Where should I begin to look in terms of fixing this problem? Thanks! submitted...
  7. Files time and date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files time and date: When we do send to a file from any drive or desktop to pendrive does the file get saved in pendrive with that current time or it keeps the time and date when it was created...
  8. date and time.

in Windows 10 Customization
    date and time.: my date and time in the taskbar has gone black how can I fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-and-time/c235de2f-d3bd-4f95-a5a8-73adf29ed4b4
  9. Date and Time

Date and Time: I set my date and time up, when I shut down my laptop or put to sleep, it jumps six hours when I turn it back on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-and-time/c62a9ee8-0b88-4d02-bd88-a619ff60562d
  10. Batch file to current date and time

Batch file to current date and time: Dear expert. Can you help me to batch file to change system date and time to current? Best regards, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-to-current-date-and-time/2c75b187-3561-4604-b9b5-218db993a6f6