Windows 10: Detaching machine from company

Discus and support Detaching machine from company in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi community, I have recently been given an old desktop PC by my employer now ex-employer as they didn't have any use for it or me it seems!.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ST111625, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ST111625 Win User

Detaching machine from company

Hi community,

I have recently been given an old desktop PC by my employer now ex-employer as they didn't have any use for it or me it seems!. However, I can see it has Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise as the OS name.

I am conscious that this is likely a license registered under the company's license quota given it's "Enterprise".

I would like to completely detach this machine from having any connection to that company moving forward, and make it my own.

I have a feeling it may have had windows 10 home/pro pre-installed when originally bought years ago, but I don't know how to check this. I have seen in other threads that I can use a powershell command to get the original product key wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Under "recovery" option in settings, "revert to previous version of windows 10" is greyed out as windows updates have been installed.

So, I would appreciate the following:

1 How do I check if it actually came with Windows 10 home/pro pre-installed?

2 What are the next steps to revert to this?

3 is the product key obtained from the powershell command actually still useful?

4 If I can't revert to this, what are the steps I need to take to completely wipe any trace of the company from this machine and fresh install windows 10 home/pro?

5 any other advisory steps to take to completely detach this machine from my ex employer and make it my own

Please talk me through if possible as I'm not a huge techie.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

ST111625, Aug 13, 2020
  2. Geethu B Win User

"Ready to Detach" stays on screen after detach and reattach

Hi Auri,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with geeting popup Ready to Detach after detaching.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know if the issue started after installing latest Windows Update?

If yes, I suggest you to uninstall the Windows Update that caused the issue and check if the issue occurs or not.

To uninstall the update follow these steps:

a) Right- Click on Start and click on
    Control Panel.

b) Click on Programs and features.

c) Click on View installed updates.

d) Scroll through the list and find the update.

e) Right-click the update and
    uninstall it.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 13, 2020
  3. problem detaching my surface book

Hi Robert,

If a background app prevents your Surface Book to be detached, we recommend that you disable this application to run in the background. To disable a background app, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Privacy from the list.
    • Select Background apps in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Choose which apps can run in the background, look for the application and toggle it off.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Kafedemy Win User

detachable keyboard not working

I tried it but it didn't work. somebody suggested I get detachable keyboard drivers where and how do I get the drivers?

Kafedemy, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Detaching machine from company - Similar Threads - Detaching machine company

2. is this company a legal representation from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    is this company a legal representation from Microsoft?: I want to know if this company is recognize by Microsoft to sell Microsoft license?https://www.tulicenciaoriginal.com/licencia-office# https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-company-a-legal-representation-from/0c6ef33a-8414-4dd6-b772-7a4c4082636d
  3. is this company a legal representation from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is this company a legal representation from Microsoft?: I want to know if this company is recognize by Microsoft to sell Microsoft license?https://www.tulicenciaoriginal.com/licencia-office# https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-company-a-legal-representation-from/0c6ef33a-8414-4dd6-b772-7a4c4082636d
  4. is this company a legal representation from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Detach Files from Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Detach Files from Account: I just performed a factory reset on my windows 10 machine after choosing the option not to keep personal files. After I booted the thing up and signed in, things such as my wallpaper and most of my files were still there. I am assuming this is because the files on my computer...
  6. How to backup files from an external HD and detached SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup files from an external HD and detached SSD: There are drives that are different sizes in which the files need to be backed up. There is a notebook computer and a 4 TB external HD to backup files. There is no HD enclosure and if needed please suggest types. The drives that have files that need to be baked up are: a)...
  7. Strange email from unknown company

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange email from unknown company: I am using Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 I have received a "no reply" email from a company called GitHub telling me that I am using GitHub and that my password is weak and that I should visit their site and create a stronger password. It also tells me that if I don't change...
  8. Detachable keyboard is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Detachable keyboard is not working: I’ve faced a problem with a detachable keyboard because the text services framework is not working. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/detachable-keyboard-is-not-working/3399e3ad-f30b-4e39-a154-7fad2a242fde
  9. Detach Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Detach Screen: I purchased my 15" Microsoft surface book 2 in January and it is having issues with the detachable screen. I can't turn on my computer unless I detach the screen first and turn it on and then attach it again to the base. It also keeps attaching and detaching several times in...
  10. defender fix from there own company

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    defender fix from there own company: Good Gay All Just checking around if this has been solved Hi contrast settings not playing well with security center Bree i know you had some good info on this just checking back Many Thanks 103448