Windows 10: Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

Discus and support Detail questions about NTLM and SMB in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; These questions concerns Windows in general, not only Windows 10. What combinations of auth (LM, Net-NTLMv1, Net-NTLMv2, Kerberos) and SMB (1,2,3)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by A. Nonymous_588, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

These questions concerns Windows in general, not only Windows 10.

What combinations of auth (LM, Net-NTLMv1, Net-NTLMv2, Kerberos) and SMB (1,2,3) are possible? All?
    Are all available authentication-mechanisms listed in my question or is there any missing method?

Regarding SMB encryption and signing:

1. Which parts of the communication are signed when SMB signing is used? How does it prevent MITM (e.g. using ARP spoofing) and how does the key exchange work? I would expect that the Domain Controller is used as a CA for a PKI, is that true? How does this work if no domain is present (and thereby no trust-anchor)?

2. When does SMBv3 start to encrypt a transfer (if agreed upon)? At Auth already, starting with the requests or only the payload (e.g. files)?

3. Are signatures always evaluated, or is it possible that a SMB-server signs and a SMB-Client does not check/verify signatures? If possible, when does this happen?

Regarding Net-NTLM v1 and v2:

1. Is the SID included in Net-NTLMv1 and v2 authentications or only domain name and user name? Can a server be asked for the SID that corresponds to a user name?

2. NTLMv1 does "usually include LMHash and NTHash" - but under which circumstances are which hashes included and are which hashes checked? If there is no LMHash (Vista and newer) is NTLMv1 not usable? Is it possible to obtain a LMHash by asking for Net-NTLMv1 in domain-Levels > 2013 ?

3. What is the client challenge in Net-NTLMv2 good for? I guess it is for optional server authentication, but how can the client verify? Or does the server track the client challenges in order to not allow the same client challenge again (replay prevention)?

Thank you very much.

:)

A. Nonymous_588, Mar 21, 2019
  2. emelsom Win User

How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am hoping Microsoft themselves, is picking this question up, and taking this seriously, and will answer this urgently, as it is causing us all so much frustration.

emelsom, Mar 21, 2019
  3. emelsom Win User
    How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Mar 21, 2019
  4. emelsom Win User

Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

1. Detail questions about NTLM and SMB - Similar Threads - Detail questions NTLM

2. Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2: Hi everyone,I recently did some tests about the SMB multichannel, and the results made me confusing, and I hope someone can tell me what went wrong.Hardware:A Synology NAS with 8*14TB HDDs, RAID5, four built-in 1Gbps LAN ports. The transfer speed of the disks array could...
  3. Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2: Hi everyone,I recently did some tests about the SMB multichannel, and the results made me confusing, and I hope someone can tell me what went wrong.Hardware:A Synology NAS with 8*14TB HDDs, RAID5, four built-in 1Gbps LAN ports. The transfer speed of the disks array could...
  4. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    Look at details for questions it’s about bios: I really need help when I hold shift and click on restart then click advanced options then click UEFI Firmware Settings it doesn’t send me into bios instead it sends me into a page asking to select a language I click English then click the only other button reset and it just...
  5. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Look at details for questions it’s about bios: I really need help when I hold shift and click on restart then click advanced options then click UEFI Firmware Settings it doesn’t send me into bios instead it sends me into a page asking to select a language I click English then click the only other button reset and it just...
  6. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

7. My Question is at the Details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Question is at the Details: Hi there I found my old Acer laptop that running Windows 7 when I try to upgrade to Windows 10 there is a error code is 0x80072F8F-0x20000 I hope anyone can help me because I wanted to give this to my brother....
  8. My Question is at the Details

My Question is at the Details: Hi there I found my old Acer laptop that running Windows 7 when I try to upgrade to Windows 10 there is a error code is 0x80072F8F-0x20000 I hope anyone can help me because I wanted to give this to my brother....
  9. smb question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    smb question: No problem, just a question. I am wondering why in my case access to shares between two desktop PC's takes place with smb v2 and not with smb v3. W10 Pro, v1909 As said, communication is ok, no problem. 152266
  10. Question about disabling SMB 1.0/CIFS Client!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about disabling SMB 1.0/CIFS Client!: Hello, I have 4 computers on my home network. And I know it is very important to disable SMBv1 on Windows. So I disabled SMB 1.0/CIFS Server which does not cause any issues but if I also disable SMB 1.0/CIFS Client it stops my computers from showing in the network folder....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntlm v1 or smb 1

2. ntlm an sbm

3. smb win 2019 ntlm

4. does win10 support ntlm v2,
  5. disable ntlmv1 and ntlmv2