Windows 10: Detecting but Wont Open LaCie External Hard Drive

Discus and support Detecting but Wont Open LaCie External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a LaCie external hard drive (this one here) that was given to me by a friend, and for one reason or another W10 wont show the external drive as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GNTSquid, Jun 11, 2016.

1. GNTSquid Win User

Detecting but Wont Open LaCie External Hard Drive

I have a LaCie external hard drive (this one here) that was given to me by a friend, and for one reason or another W10 wont show the external drive as an option under Devices and Drives when selecting "This PC" or My Computer. I can see my SSD with the OS and the internal 2nd drive but not the LaCie. The only place it shows that it knows a drive is connected is in the task bar where it gives the option to eject the drive and in "Devices and Printers". And selecting the drive from there doesn't provide many options, it just opens the properties window for the drive. I don't even see anything telling me what format the drive is, but I have a sneaking suspicion its formatted for a Mac. Is there a way I can get this drive to show on my computer?

The only thing I can think of is to try installing some firmware updates from LaCie's website, but since this drive contains film footage (that im not sure has been backed up or not so its possible this is the only copy of the footage) I want to be absolutely certain that installing the firmware wont erase anything on the drive.

:)

GNTSquid, Jun 11, 2016

2. my external LaCie drive that I use on mac with no issues  wont show up on windows 10

I have a problem ;my external LaCie drive that I use on mac with no issues , but it wont show up on windows 10, it recognized by windows but it wont show under this pc so I can use it ... plz help me

MohammedElhammani, Jun 11, 2016
  3. JOHND

I have my desktop to Windows 10. My computer no longer recognizes a LaCie External Hard Drive (which it did before). Any ideas?

JohnDavenportNX, Jun 11, 2016
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

You are probably right that the drive is formatted HFS+ for Mac.

With the drive connected, open Disk Management (search for Computer Management > Disk Management). Here you can see what the drive looks like to Windows.

If you right click on the LaCie drive shown you may have the option to format the partition(s) NTFS for windows, or you could convert the entire disk to a MBR Disk.

If the procedure is not obvious you could post a screenshot of the Disk Management window for us to look at.

Thema:

1. Detecting but Wont Open LaCie External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Detecting Wont Open

2. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  3. external hard drive cant be detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive cant be detected: when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?...
  4. External Hard Drive wont boot

External Hard Drive wont boot: Hi, I have a WD 2TB HDD1021 external drive and when I connect to my Windows 10 PC I get what looks like the partition in the drive ( 31 GB)which shows the following files; Bootmgr.efi bootmgr setup.exe autorun.inf boot efi sources support All my back-up files are not showing...
  5. External hard drive wont auto start

External hard drive wont auto start: I have a an external hard drive that shows in the devices but does not open on my windows 10 can you help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-auto-start/5bb24d53-d0fc-41e5-b088-a5e1e4939240
  6. My computer running Windows10 can't detect my LaCie external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer running Windows10 can't detect my LaCie external hard drive: I know this is a common issue with this hard drive, as other people have reported this online, but I can't seem to find a solution for it. When I check device manager, it shows up their, but it doesn't show up in files. Does anyone know how to solve this? I know it's a hard...
  7. Unable to detect external hard drive

Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  8. LaCie Hard Drive not recognized by Windows 10

LaCie Hard Drive not recognized by Windows 10: In the last 24hours, 2 separate Windows 10 computers, no longer recognize my LaCie '2tb LaCie 2big triple interface 7200rpm usb' connected via the USB2 interface. Despite moving the cable around to different USB ports, no luck. Fortunately, i had an older laptop still...
  9. lacie external hard drive

lacie external hard drive: since I installed windows 10 I cant use my LaCie external hardrive, to access pictures, from way back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lacie-external-hard-drive/c674c2dc-0746-4491-9095-b4875030781a
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...