Windows 10: Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting

Discus and support Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Often, when I'm repairing a computer, I need to know what OS was running on one that won't boot. However, I can boot using a live CD and examine the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fred3, Dec 2, 2017.

1. fred3 Win User

Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting

Often, when I'm repairing a computer, I need to know what OS was running on one that won't boot.
    However, I can boot using a live CD and examine the files. Maybe a Linux live CD.

So, now that I can see the files, where does one look in order to know what the Windows OS version is/was?
    I figure one can determine 32 vs. 64 bit by looking for a Program Files (x86) folder as its presence at least suggests 64-bit.
    Windows 10? Windows 10 Pro? winver? etc.

:)

fred3, Dec 2, 2017

2. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a new ssd and make this the boot drive. I would like to keep the old WD 1T hard drive as a storage drive. What is the best/easiest procedure for extracting the old windows 10 OS from the old hard drive.
    I'm not sure that I know how to properly identify the OS files.

ThomasSchlimmer, Dec 2, 2017
  3. Windows 10 product key.

Hi all

I'm still having problems installing windows 10 from an ISO file , I've downloaded the file to a portable hard drive, plugged in to my PC and booted up, selected the hard drive, but no OS was found, even though its clearly on there.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Hellier, Dec 2, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

I think running WinPESE instead of Linux would be a better alternative. You can then right-click ntoskernel in system32 of the broken install to get the build info from properties or load the software hive to get other info.

Superfly, Dec 2, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    @Superfly
    Your ShowKeyPlus would be good if you can add more info such as build # and system type (32/64)

topgundcp, Dec 2, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Hmmm... yup. I can add it - extend product description *Wink

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting - Similar Threads - Determine Version hard

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. Removed Hard Drive, Computer still Boots with OS and apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed Hard Drive, Computer still Boots with OS and apps.: I removed my hard drive from the computer, disconnected external back up ...but my computer still boots with all my apps, the O.S., everything is still there ...with no hard drive! How is this possible?...
  5. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive: Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD...
  6. Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS: I upgraded my HDD to an SSD and starting fresh on the SSD and reinstalling everything. How can I boot into Windows 10 on the old HDD that is now in an external USB enclosure? I am trying to review some of the settings on the old setup so I can match on the new install. Thank...
  7. Boot from usb hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from usb hard drive?: I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...
  10. OS on separate hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. determine windows version on hard drive

2. how to determine windows version on hard drive that cannot start

3. how to identify os on a hard drive

4. how to tell versio of windows on a hdd,
  5. how to determine windows version from non booting drive,
  6. how to check os version on hdd,
  7. How determine windows version from HDD?