Windows 10: Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor

Discus and support Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently developping a composite USB device (4 interfaces: CDC/VCOM + 2 * winusb compatible) on an embedded device (microcontroller). To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ADBNI, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ADBNI Win User

Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor

Hello, I'm currently developping a composite USB device (4 interfaces: CDC/VCOM + 2 * winusb compatible) on an embedded device (microcontroller). To facilitate my device being recognised on a computer, I'm trying to implement "Microsoft Compatible ID Feature Descriptor " and "Microsoft Extended Properties Feature Descriptors" to ensure Windows assigns a winusb driver to my interface. So far, I've only been able to do this for 1 interface but not 2.

The WCID_CompatID_Descriptor and WCID_ExtProp_Descriptor can have multiple sections. Are any working examples available for 2 sections? See what I've done below.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Alan

/* WCID USB: Microsoft String Descriptor */
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_String_Descriptor[] = {
    (8 * 2 + 2), /* bLength (8 Char + Type + length) */
    USB_STRING_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE, /* bDescriptorType */
    'M', 0,
    'S', 0,
    'F', 0,
    'T', 0,
    '1', 0,
    '0', 0,
    '0', 0,
    LUSB_PID, 0,
    };

// WCID USB: Microsoft Compatible ID Feature Descriptor
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_CompatID_Descriptor[] = {
    0x28, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Length 40 bytes
    0x00, 0x01, // Version
    0x04, 0x00, // Compatibility ID Descriptor index
    0x01, // Number of sections
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Reserved: 7 bytes

USB_CDC_LIB_NUM, // Interface Number //AB: this is the bInterfaceNumber of the WINUSB device
    0x01, // Reserved
    'W', 'I', 'N', 'U', 'S', 'B', 0x00, 0x00, // Compatible ID: 8 bytes ASCII
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Sub-Compatible ID: 8 bytes ASCII
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,

0x00, 0x00, // Reserved: 6 bytes
    };

// WCID USB: Microsoft Extended Properties Feature Descriptor
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_ExtProp_Descriptor[] = {
    0x8E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Length 142 bytes
    0x00, 0x01, // Version
    0x05, 0x00, // Extended Properties Feature Descriptor index
    0x01, 0x00, // Number of sections

0x84, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Size of the property section
    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Property data type (1 = Unicode REG_SZ, see table below)
    0x28, 0x00, // Property name length (40 bytes)
    // Property Name ("DeviceInterfaceGUID")
    'D', 0, 'e', 0, 'v', 0, 'i', 0, 'c', 0, 'e', 0, 'I', 0, 'n', 0,
    't', 0, 'e', 0, 'r', 0, 'f', 0, 'a', 0, 'c', 0, 'e', 0, 'G', 0,
    'U', 0, 'I', 0, 'D', 0, 0, 0,
    0x4E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Property data length (78 bytes)
    // Property Name "{88BAE032-5A81-49f0-BC3D-A4FF138216D6}" from winusb.inf
    '{', 0, '8', 0, '8', 0, 'b', 0, 'a', 0, 'e', 0, '0', 0, '3', 0,
    '2', 0, '-', 0, '5', 0, 'a', 0, '8', 0, '1', 0, '-', 0, '4', 0,
    '9', 0, 'f', 0, '0', 0, '-', 0, 'b', 0, 'c', 0, '3', 0, 'd', 0,
    '-', 0, 'a', 0, '4', 0, 'f', 0, 'f', 0, '1', 0, '3', 0, '8', 0,
    '2', 0, '1', 0, '6', 0, 'd', 0, '6', 0, '}', 0, 0, 0,
    };

***Original title: Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0***

:)

ADBNI, Jul 18, 2019
  2. EdTittel Win User

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

The main reason for Unknown Device to display in your Device Manager is because you have a device that is not working correctly. This is very common with the universal serial bus (USB) and IEEE 1394 composite devices.

Most USB and IEEE 1394 devices function correctly without additional device drivers because they’re configured by the drivers that are included with Windows for these bus types.
    However, an additional device driver is needed if the device does not fit the defined and supplied Windows class drivers. If the bus cannot identify the device, it interprets the device as a composite device and then reports it as
    such in Device Manager.

You may try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose ‘Device Manager’.
    • Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’.
    • Right click ‘USB Host Controllers’ and uninstall.
    • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Junaid_A, Jul 18, 2019
  4. titan5800 Win User

a request for device descriptor request failed

my bios is and custom unlocked bios (latest version) (thanks to Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source ) because of lenovo hardware whitlist maybe thats causing the problem???

titan5800, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor - Similar Threads - Developping composite USB

2. how to update usb composite device-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to update usb composite device-: i need to download it.. i think. I cant do it autmaticaly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-usb-composite-device/7d1adea4-f661-4a5a-b7be-4b70c4950ca1
  3. how to update usb composite device-

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to update usb composite device-: i need to download it.. i think. I cant do it autmaticaly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-usb-composite-device/7d1adea4-f661-4a5a-b7be-4b70c4950ca1
  4. Missing Samsung USB Composite Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing Samsung USB Composite Device: I wanted to transfer some music from my computer(a PowerSpec computer from MicroCenter) to my phone(Galaxy S9+), but when I went to plug in my phone to my computer, my computer didn't recognize it at all. No sound or pop up to notify any connection. I opened smart switch on...
  5. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware....
  6. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware. May I please know, How to get rid of this issue? Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)...
  7. USB device descriptor failed.

USB device descriptor failed.: Hi, I can't use my flash mem ory Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed....
  8. Usb composite device setup and ready

Usb composite device setup and ready: Win10. What does this message on boot up mean "USB composite device setup and ready.." ? The machine was just beset with a bug, flashing a message about 'last usb device connected not recognised..' and we couldn't find anything wrong in device manager or anywhere......
  9. USB device descriptor failed

USB device descriptor failed: Most of the threads on this error are old, (2015) so I am starting a new one. I only notice it when I happen to be in the device manager. I have no problems with any of my connected USB devices (that I have observed). I have tried uninstalling it, and rescanning and it...
  10. USB Device Descriptor Failed??

USB Device Descriptor Failed??: [img] So this kept happening before and then it stopped being problematic for a while..unfortunately the issue has once again returned. In Event Viewer it says usbhci or something. When this issue occurs a few things happen: All USB devices cease to function until system...