Windows 10: Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked!

Discus and support Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Firstly, NO process should be able to view from a Webcam or listen from a Mic without specific. clear PRIOR PERMISSION. I do not need to be having my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Doradust, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Doradust Win User

Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked!

Firstly, NO process should be able to view from a Webcam or listen from a Mic without specific. clear PRIOR PERMISSION. I do not need to be having my privacy disturbed by uninvited people or staff from Microsoft!!

Secondly, I am feeling insecure from this Device Census! I blocked the access and it popped up again allowing it. I mean seriously? I blocked it, then it should not allow it. So whoever is on my Surface Pro, just leave me be and stop invading my privacy!

Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked! fe6e1b37-74e0-488f-89db-83f5f8267cda?upload=true.png

:)

Doradust, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Benski256 Win User

Device census is using webcam?

I suspect the notification is from Kaspersky, which I'm also running. The notification is quite new, but is also widespread. I've seen it on different PCs in the last couple of weeks. I suspect a change initiated by Windows Update.

Nobody likes the idea of their webcams being used without them being initiated by the user. Microsoft representatives (on this and other threads) are just explaining what Device Census is, but this is not giving any reassurance that the webcam isn't being
    used for the wrong reasons. Why is Device Census using the webcam in a way that is creating a security alert with Kaspersky? The public worry that something underhand is going on. Can Microsoft do anything to alleviate this concern?

Benski256, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Device Census is Using Webcam

Turning off the “Let apps use my camera hardware” DOESN’T stop the device census is using my webcam notice. This is unacceptable! I have turned off all the apps and it still turns on. I do not want my webcam turning on when i get into my desktop- makes
    me uncomfortable. Mircosoft needs a better explanation for turning the webcam off. Absolutely ridiculous!

katiehaasch, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Device Census is Using Webcam

Hello Penny,

Noting the details that you have provided.

Device Census is a background process that runs to check your device and inform Microsoft which build would fit perfect for an update.

Windows 10 contains a Telemetry service that reports back to Microsoft on hardware usage/errors etc.

Device Census is part of that Telemetry Framework and the process is only gathering data on your usage of the webcam

If you want to restrict this access to your webcam, go to Settings - Privacy - Camera and uncheck the option 'Let apps use my camera hardware'.

This way, you won't have the fear that this will access your computer without you knowing.

Do get back to us should you need anything else and we will be glad to assist you further.

Best,

Anne

Anne Fuj, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked! - Similar Threads - Device Census using

2. Webcam blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Webcam blocked: I have my camera and video permissions allowed on my computer and my web browser. For some reason it still is blocked from use on the web browser. What else would be the cause?...
  3. Webcam blocked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam blocked: I have my camera and video permissions allowed on my computer and my web browser. For some reason it still is blocked from use on the web browser. What else would be the cause?...
  4. My integrated webcam is being used or blocked by another application.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My integrated webcam is being used or blocked by another application.: I'm using an IdeaPad S340-15IWL, I tried everything from checking both Windows and Lenovo's camera privacy settings. I also made sure everything is updated, stoping all apps that use the camera, deleted the driver and installed it automatically and when that didn't work I...
  5. Device Census

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Census: Why does Device Census want to access my webcam......?????? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-census/c76c7141-42ae-40c5-a579-04d0a19fe878"
  6. Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Census is using my webcam even if blocked!: Firstly, NO process should be able to view from a Webcam or listen from a Mic without specific. clear PRIOR PERMISSION. I do not need to be having my privacy disturbed by uninvited people or staff from Microsoft!! Secondly, I am feeling insecure from this Device Census! I...
  7. Receiving Device Census notice every morning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Receiving Device Census notice every morning: Every morning when I open my laptop I have a security notice about Device Census. I tell it to block it. I don't want my webcam being used. It seems that if I block it, I should not get this notice every day. What is this about. Thank you....
  8. Device Census is using webcam

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Census is using webcam: These replies have not been helpful. How can Microsoft justify using the webcam on MY laptop without my SPECIFIC approval. What an invasion of my privacy. Is this not arrogance on the part of Microsift? Have I misunderstood? If so, I am willing to apoligise for my ignorance....
  9. Device Census Stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device Census Stopped working: On Thursday, July 12 2018 I updated Windows 10 to Version 1803, Os build 17134.165. Since then, every time I turn on my computer I get an application failure in Reliability Monitor: Device Census Stopped working. It's always the same : Description Faulting Application Path:...
  10. Device Census

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device Census: Why is my device census has stopped working ando how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/device-census/b52ac796-dec9-48e8-b2a0-4b47026d9b48

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device census using webcam

2. device census app

3. webcam device census

4. device census is using webcam,
  5. what is device census using webcam,
  6. device census gebruikt de webcam