Windows 10: Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites"

Discus and support Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I bought Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and am running it on a Lenovo Z50-70 just to gain access to the Device Encryption facility.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by stay_hydrated03, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites"

I bought Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and am running it on a Lenovo Z50-70 just to gain access to the Device Encryption facility.

When pulling up my system information where the device encryption support states the following "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices detected, TPM is not usable".

Can someone explain this to me and how I might be able to enable Device Encryption on my PC? Thank you in advance.

:)

stay_hydrated03, Sep 4, 2020
  2. SL#
    SL# Win User

Device Encryption Support. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-Allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected

Hi, I have a new model of Dell laptop (Inspiron i15- 5593) with Windows 10 Home - 1903 factory installed. Before updating BIOS to the current version, I checked to sure Device Encryption is turned off (Settings --> Update & Security). Thing is, the
    option for "Device Encryption" is not one of options listed in the left panel under the heading "Update & Security". I know that is where it is supposed to be in Windows Home. In System Information: PCR7 Configuration = "Binding Possible". Device Encryption
    Support = "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-Allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected". The system has a TMP chip (tmp.msc): Manufacturer: Intel, Mfg. Version: 500.5.0.0, Specification Version: 2.0. In Device Manager, under Security Devices,
    I have "Trusted Platform Module 2.0". In BIOS, the system is in UEFI Mode, Secure Boot is enabled and "PTT" (Platform Trust Technology) is turned on. In the Registry: Local Machine/System/CurrentContolSet/Control/Power/CsEnabled is set to Value: 1 (on).
    It seems the system configured for Device Encryption (do you agree?) but I'm thinking it is not made available because the Un-Allowed DMA capable bus/devices were detected (do you agree?).

I've spoken to level 2 Dell tech support. They agreed to escalate again but are pushing back that Device Encryption is not a feature of my device. This week I returned a different Dell (i15-5584) because of a hardware failure that did have Device Encryption
    working. Before returning it I verified the 5584 had the same configuration described above, except in System Information, Device Encryption Support: Meets prerequisites. In addition to missing Device Encryption, Windows Hello Face and Windows Hello Fingerprint
    show can't be set up "This option is currently not available".
    I would appreciate thoughts of what else I should check to get Device Encryption working. I know that MS recommends contacting the manufacturer to determine what device is causing this error but not very encouraged by the response so far from Dell. Also,
    does Microsoft require OEM's to design, configure, test and certify to MS that new laptops right out of the box have Device Encryption (in the case of Windows Home) available to be turned on? If so, anyplace I could find whether Dell certified the 5593.
    Thanks for your feedback!!!

3. Restore Windows 10 Home to factory settings - can't disable Bitlocker

Thanks Caledon Ken and Samuria Guru

Samuria Guru - You raise a good point and perhaps I should be thinking about getting the latest version and I'd like that to be the next step although I'd really like to take the pc back to its original settings as a first task (there is a virus on the pc and I'd like to clear it away if I'm able to do that)

Caledon Ken - I looked at the guide which I hadn't seen before and unfortunately although I followed the steps, my PC search results didn't match what was displayed in the guide. So as a first step the guide asked to check the "Device Encryption Support" item (by going to System Information and then selecting System Summary.) In the instruction it says that if it reads "Meets prerequisites", then the computer includes support file encryption. Instead, next to Device Encryption Support it reads "elevation required to view" for me. This meant that I couldn't progress through the other instructions.
    For example when I opened Open Settings and clicked on Update & Security and then looked for "Device encryption" it wasn't there. The steps also say that 'if the "Device encryption" page isn't available, then it's likely that your device doesn't support the encryption feature.' So I'm not quite sure what to do next. Any other ideas you have are greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

GratefulPerson, Sep 4, 2020
  4. jumanji Win User

Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites"

About Device encryption

Hi @JLAF5150,

Wierd anamoly .......!!!!!! May be it is wired into your system. *Smile

What exactly is the model no. of your Dell laptop? Maybe your Dell laptop supports Device Encryption.

To check, type System Information in the search field and run it as administrator.

Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites" [​IMG]

Roll down and check. Does it say " Device Encryption Support - Meets prerequisites ". That's it. Your Dell Laptop incorporates Device Encryption, which is a less rigorous form of Standard bitlocker encryption.

Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites" [​IMG]

Explained here: "Device encryption is available on supported devices running any Windows 10 edition. If you want to use standard BitLocker encryption instead, it's available on supported devices running Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education. Some devices have both types of encryption. For example, a Surface Pro which runs Windows 10 Pro has both the simplified device encryption experience, and the full BitLocker management controls."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...ice-encryption

To be continued after a short break. Coffee time.( I only make my coffee)

jumanji, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites"

1. Device Encryption Support in System Information does not say "Meets prerequisites" - Similar Threads - Device Encryption Support

2. Device Encryption Support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Encryption Support: Hi there!I'm trying to get Secure Boot and Device Encryption working. Before you say it, I know... another post trying to sort it. I've tried for an hour straight trying to sort this. Here's the current issues I'm facing; Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device...
  3. Device Encryption Support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Encryption Support: Hi there!I'm trying to get Secure Boot and Device Encryption working. Before you say it, I know... another post trying to sort it. I've tried for an hour straight trying to sort this. Here's the current issues I'm facing; Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device...
  4. Windows 10: "Device does not have Bluetooth", but System Information says "status OK"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: "Device does not have Bluetooth", but System Information says "status OK": Hi,This is a follow-up to my previous thread about registry corruption which is still being repaired myself, apparently the troubleshooter says "Device does not have Bluetooth":This means that there's a couple problems. Despite having Bluetooth the day I had this PC,...
  5. Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...

Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...: Hello,I am trying to enable Bitlocker encryption on some of my drives. However, I am running into some problems. When I try to turn on Bitlocker in my settings, I get the "Failed to open the BitLocker control panel tool. Error code: 0x800004005" message. I went into my system...
  6. System Information - Device Encryption Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Information - Device Encryption Question: Could someone let me know why I am getting the following message in System Information please? Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable...
  7. System Information - Device Encryption Question

System Information - Device Encryption Question: Could someone let me know why I am getting the following message in System Information please? Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable...
  8. Device Encryption Support.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Encryption Support.: I've noticed in System Information that Device Encryption Support is not enabled. Does anybody know what the error message means? I found a related Microsoft document but don't understand it. "Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected"...
  9. "This device does not meet the minimum requirements to install this software", says the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "This device does not meet the minimum requirements to install this software", says the...: Hi, today I went to Intel's website to find the latest Graphics Driver and download them I think mine is not updated, that's why. It was the latest version, and a 423 MB installer file. Once I downloaded it, I ran it, it asked for administrator privileges, I hit yes and then...
  10. Device Encryption Support

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device Encryption Support: Hi there. I've discovered that I'm having a similar issue to the gent in this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-device-encryption/72e12480-30ec-49d3-bfc8-a452126e5ce7 I am getting the same message despite having a fully licensed copy...