Windows 10: Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running

Discus and support Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm a PC enthusiast, running Windows 10 Pro on my home computer, and I've been exploring the possibilities of the built-in security... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DexSK, Oct 17, 2018.

1. DexSK Win User

Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running

Hello everyone,

I'm a PC enthusiast, running Windows 10 Pro on my home computer, and I've been exploring the possibilities of the built-in security features as an alternative to buying an antivirus license from other established vendors.

I've been experimenting with Device Guard on my PC, had it enabled and running, and then two things popped up:

First, there were some devices with incompatible drivers that wouldn't function after enabling DG, and from elsewhere I've come to understand that this is due to the hardware vendors not writing drivers that would be compliant to a set of driver compatibility requirements:

• Opt-in to NX by default
    • Use NX APIs/flags for memory allocation - NonPagedPoolNx
    • Don’t use sections that are both writable and executable
    • Don’t attempt to directly modify executable system memory
    • Don’t use dynamic code in kernel
    • Don’t load data files as executable
    • Section Alignment must be a multiple of 0x1000 (PAGE_SIZE). E.g. DRIVER_ALIGNMENT=0x1000

Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2015/05/22/driver-compatibility-with-device-guard-in-windows-10/

No way around it, so I accepted it as it is.

The second thing upsets me more, Device Guard keeps my Windows Store Apps from running at all, it doesn't interfere with any other software I have installed. I like the MSN Weather app and Netflix and MS News and Google News, but after starting them they instantly crash back down. I've tried to do the re-registering of the apps via the Get-AppXpackage cmdlet as described in online tutorials, even did a WSReset, to no avail, until I discovered that it was indeed DG blocking them, so I disabled it again.

Now there's a ton of articles about Windows Defender Application Control policies, but when I try to run the New-CIPolicy cmdlet, it exits with an error about an unsupported Windows edition, I presume this is possible only on Windows 10 Enterprise:
    New-CIPolicy : Device Guard is not available in this edition of Windows.

Is there any way for me to unblock Windows Store apps from running, or do I have to live with them being unavailable, or would anyone suggest posting this as a kind of bug report/feature request to Microsoft? Device Guard along with Windows Defender looks very promising to me, wouldn't want to ditch it altogether.

Thanks alot for any answers

:)

DexSK, Oct 17, 2018

2. Your Organization used Device Guard to block this app - contact your support person for more info

Does the computer-in-question belong to you or your employer?

Cite:

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 17, 2018
  3. Your Organization used Device Guard to block this app - contact your support person for more info

Followed the steps and disabled it and restarted laptop - still cant download off internet same message pops up

Your Organization used Device Guard to block this app - contact your support person for more info

ZachShaievitz, Oct 17, 2018
  4. John Sarc Win User

Windows Firewall blocks App Store from downloading new apps

Hi,

Let's try to check if the app store you're referring to if it's really blocked by Windows Firewall. See these steps:

• Open Windows Firewall from the taskbar >
      Firewall & network protection
      > Allow an app through firewall.
    • A new window will show up containing the list of the apps that ca be allowed through Firewall.
    • Look for the app you want to be accessed, and make sure that the Domain, Private and Public are ticked. That would allow the app store to be accessed.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestion.

John Sarc, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running - Similar Threads - Device Guard blocking

2. Credential guard not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential guard not running: After the newest update Credential guard disappeared from Windows Defender. Registry shows it`s turned on but it`s not present in the Core Isolation tab. System info doesn`t show it as a running service....
  3. Credential guard not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credential guard not running: After the newest update Credential guard disappeared from Windows Defender. Registry shows it`s turned on but it`s not present in the Core Isolation tab. System info doesn`t show it as a running service....
  4. Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Wireless_Life [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l7w0j3/windows_10_device_guard_and_credential_guard/
  5. Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified: While helping Windows Enterprise customers deploy and realize the benefits of Windows 10, I've observed there's still a lot of confusion regarding the security features of the operating system. This is a shame since some of the key benefits of Windows 10 involve these deep...
  6. Turn off Credential Guard or Device Guard

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off Credential Guard or Device Guard: Whenever I try to run a vm in vmware,it gives this error: VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard. Any help?...
  7. Turn off Credential Guard of Device Guard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off Credential Guard of Device Guard: Whenever I try to run a vm in vmware,it gives this error: Any help?VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard....
  8. Windows blocking app from running

Windows blocking app from running: Hi, I have been having problem w/ window 10 pro 64 bit problem every few months on my Nuc7i5. it would block me from running a downloaded app from https://pacs.garfieldmedicalcenter.com/novaweb/ Normally, this works and there is an option to let it run. but every few...
  9. Your organization used Device Guard to block this app" error on ACER Laptop

Your organization used Device Guard to block this app" error on ACER Laptop: Hi, Just enabled the upgrade from Windows 10 S to WIN 10 pro because I could not install any of the programs I wanted and now O get the error message below when I try tro install new Apps :- Your organization used Device Guard to block this app Can anyone help ?...
  10. Blocking Specific Windows Store Apps from changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocking Specific Windows Store Apps from changes: Hi all! I have been having issues with third party Windows Store apps. I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1607. The specific apps in question are Wifi Commander (which I purchased) and Netflix apps, but any third party app I try to install has the same issue. The problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. your organization used device guard to block