Windows 10: Device Guard + VMware Workstation Pro 12.5

Discus and support Device Guard + VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi All I'm hoping someone who knows something about Device Guard and virtualisation can help me with a question I have. I recently rebuilt my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by xy677, Apr 30, 2017.

1. xy677 Win User

Device Guard + VMware Workstation Pro 12.5

Hi All

I'm hoping someone who knows something about Device Guard and virtualisation can help me with a question I have.

I recently rebuilt my desktop with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit Creators Update. I use VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 daily for my work from home.

One of the features I would like to make use of in the Enterprise version of Windows 10 is Device Guard to help protect my machine from malware.

Unfortunately you need to enable the Hyper-V role to be able to use Device Guard. This means that VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 stops working.

So I was wondering since Hyper-V supports nested virtualisation in the Creators Update is there ANYWAY I can enable Device Guard on my machine AND still be able to use VMware Workstation Pro 12.5?

Before someone says "Just use Hyper-V to run your VMs", I did try this and a) Didn't like Hyper-V and b) Had issues using VPN connections from my VM under Hyper-V so using Hyper-V for my VMs isn't an option.

I'd really like to use Device Guard but don't want to give up VMware Workstation.

Thank you!

:)

xy677, Apr 30, 2017

2. Credential Guard

When will Credential Guard be supported on the same Windows 10 Enterprise device as Barkly and VMWare Workstation Pro.

It would be nice to be able to run these products without sacrificing Credential Guard.

Moved from Insider

IvanPiacun, Apr 30, 2017
  3. John Ado Win User
    VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible

Hi Bimal,

The topic that you raised is beyond the scope of support for this site which focuses more on home and personal end users. You may re-post this question to the

TechNet Forums
    for further assistance.

Best regards.

John Ado, Apr 30, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @xy677

you could do this with a 2 level nested virtualisation i.e create a VM with your VMware workstation - and then on that VM create Enterprise Windows VM with HYPER -V -- but there are plenty of good ways of preventing Malware - not sure why you have to use Device Guard -- even bog standard windows can prevent things like non admin users plugging in or using USB devices etc.

If you use nested VM's the main bugbear on performance will be slow HDD's so you'd probably need commercial SCSI or Fibre SAS connected controllers.

Another way you could do it is to use ESXI (from vmware) - but it's quite picky over hardware required to run it. The Esxi OS is TINY so ZERO overhead and your VM's will run at around 99% of Native speed - especially if you pass thru most of the hardware stuff.

You could run Esxi as a VM on Vmware workststion, then add a Windows Enterprise with HYPER-V as a VM on the Esxi VM system. In this case the overhead won't be too hideous - as I said the esxi OS is TINY but you'd need to use another machine as a console to access the VM's on ESXI unless your work place gives you access to Vsphere.

Running Esxi as a VM gets over the rather picky hardware requirements it has so a possible OK solution --it will easily boot in a few seconds from a small SD card if your machine can boot from a built in SD card reader.

Download VMware vSphere

RDP works just fine though from Windows Hosts to access the VM's on the ESXI machine. Esxi is free -- not sure though about the latest versions of Vsphere. You can run Esxi ( free earlier releases) without Vsphere -- a bit of Googling I think is what you need here -- hopefully I've given you some possible ideas to research.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Device Guard + VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 - Similar Threads - Device Guard VMware

2. Problem with VMware Workstation 16 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with VMware Workstation 16 Pro: This program was working perfectly fine a few months ago and after updating Windows 10 now is not working. What is the problem? Is there going to be a Fix soon?...
  3. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  4. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 Support
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  5. VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard not compatible in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard not compatible in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you try to power on the VM (Virtual Machine) inside VMware Workstation Player on Windows 10, you receive the error message VMware Workstation […] This article VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard not compatible in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  6. VMware Player and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Player and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible: I have this error with vmware w. player 15.5, is this a bug and, if possible, what does it means? Thanks! BTW this happens if I enable "core isolation", I understand core isolation is necessary to avoid hardware bugs in intel cpu. 142004
  7. Installing vmware workstation pro error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing vmware workstation pro error: I am trying to install app name VMware workstation pro from edge but when i am running the setup,it shows me"an error occurred while attempting to create directory: C:\Users\Public\Desktop" please help...
  8. VMware workstation 12 player

VMware workstation 12 player: I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable that? [img] 23361
  9. vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10: Hi there VMWARE users - Workstation release 12 is now available - specially built for W10 VMware Workstation: Multiple Operating Systems Linux, Windows 8 More | United States Cheers jimbo 19848
  10. Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze: Hello all, Im having an interesting issue where it seems like any guest OS I install into VMWare crashes or freezes shortly after being powered on. Right now I have a Windows 8.1 x64 VM and a Fedora Workstation 25 x64 VM and they both lock up on me. I have no idea whats...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vmware workstation pro 12

2. vmware workstation 12 windows 10 1903

3. vmware workstation 12.5 windows 10 1903

4. windows 10 update 1903 vmware workstation 12.5,
  5. vmware workstation pro 12 on windows 1903,
  6. windows 10 version 1903 vmware 12.5,
  7. windows 10 update 1903 vmware workstation pro 12,
  8. vmware workstation not working windows device guard,
  9. vmware 12.5 device guard