Windows 10: Device Location Is Incorrect

Discus and support Device Location Is Incorrect in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am having an issue in which the location service is showing the system in Oregon, despite the system being in Denver. I haven't been... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Chris Crow, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Device Location Is Incorrect

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue in which the location service is showing the system in Oregon, despite the system being in Denver. I haven't been able to get it to recognize the correct location. The steps that have been taken so far are:

- Attempted to get the system to ping its own location through the Maps app, no change
    - Cleared Location History, no change

- Set default location correctly, no change because it think it's correctly in Oregon

Bit of a strange one, anyone have any ideas?

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042

System is on the 20H2 version right now

:)

Chris Crow, Jan 12, 2021

2. Location incorrect in weather app and find my device

Windows 10 has several settings that control access to a device's location. They can be found under:

Settings -> Privacy -> Location

The first two settings are called Location and Location service. If either one is turned off, then Windows will NOT REVEAL your location to apps that ask.
    Location is a system-wide setting, and if turned on, then
    Location service
    controls location access for the current user only.

• Make sure that Location and Location service are both turned on.

The next setting lets you specify a Default location to be used whenever Windows cannot determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. I'll come back to this setting in a moment.

This is followed by a way to Clear your location history stored on this device, as well as
    some links to manage or review information concerning your location online.

After that, you should see a list of Apps. This is where you can allow or deny location access on a per-app basis.

• Make sure this setting is turned on for the "Weather App" and "Find My Device".

Please note that despite having identical names, this more general Windows 10
    Default location
    setting does NOT work in the same way as the Default location setting in the Weather App. The Weather App will
    always use its default location if one is specified. Windows 10 only uses its more general default location setting if all else fails. I have devised an experiment, which exploits that difference. I think it should be able to identify the
    underlying location problem on your system.

1. Start the Weather App and select the Settings tab. Make sure that
      Launch Location is set to "Always detect my location".
      Exit the Weather App.
    2. Go to the general Windows 10 Settings -> Privacy -> Location and temporarily set your
      Default Location to somewhere that's way off - wrong by thousands of miles (let's say Timbuktu in Mali).
    3. Note which of the following networks are up and accessible form your Surface Pro 2017:

(a) Ethernet, (b) Wi-Fi, (c) Bluetooth, (d) cell phone connectivity (via optional LTE-Advanced modem).
    4. Start the Weather App again and select the Favorites tab. Make a note of the first listed favorite (the Launch Location), and exit the Weather App.
    5. If it is Timbuktu (Windows hasn't got a clue where you are), then go to Step 9.
    6. If it is Cape Coral (Windows THINKS it knows where you are, but it's WRONG), then go to Step 8.
    7. If it is Knoxville (Windows got it right), then the
      Location Service works correctly when Windows has access to the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3. Go to Step 8.
    8. To reproduce the problem and perhaps isolate the cause, disable all the networks listed in Step 3. Then re-enable each of the networks ONE AT A TIME, repeating the steps from Step 3 each time. If you ever get to Step 6, then the one-and-only enabled network
      that time is the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM. If you ever get to Step 7, then ADD the one-and-only enabled network that time to YOUR LIST of reliable location sources.

SOLUTION A:

(a) Ensre that a network on YOUR LIST of reliable location sources is up and available.

(b) Whenever you require an accurate location, ensure that the network observed to be the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM is neither up nor available.
    9. Using the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3, Windows was not able to determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. Enable as many of the networks listed in Step 3 as you can. Restart the experiment at Step
      3. If you still end up here, then you MUST EITHER modify the general Windows 10
      Default location
      setting every time you need an accurate location OR ...

SOLUTION B:

Move back to Cape Coral, Florida.

Phew!

Christopher Jeffrey Benson, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Karen Her Win User
    Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Device Location Is Incorrect

device location

Hi Rosdan,

We need more information regarding your concern. Which device are you pertaining to? Are you talking about the
    Find my device feature of your Microsoft account? Are you talking about the location settings of your device? If you are using a desktop computer with no Wi-Fi capability, your location will be based on your IP address. Because of that, the
    results can widely vary in accuracy, resulting in an incorrect location for your device. You can set your address as your default location in the Maps app so that Windows, apps, and services can use it when the system could not detect a more exact location
    of your device. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Launch the Maps app.
    • Click on
      Device Location Is Incorrect 7431b6a7-1a63-47ba-88dc-ef981ec4be2f.png
      , then click on
      Settings.
    • Under Default location, click on Change default location.
    • Click on Set default location, type in your current location, then click on
      Choose location.
    • Click on Set.

Kindly get back to us with the information that we asked for so that we can assist you better with your concern.

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Device Location Is Incorrect

1. Device Location Is Incorrect - Similar Threads - Device Location Incorrect

2. Windows is detecting an incorrect location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows is detecting an incorrect location: Hi,I've been having an issue with Windows detecting an incorrect location when connected to my home IP. This happens on various different devices but only through Microsoft products. When searching through google or firefox, it shows the correct location. I'm not sure how...
  3. Laptop detecting incorrect location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop detecting incorrect location: Hi, so I opened my laptop today and it has for some reason decided I am in Australia I live in the UK. This is the second time this has happened, the first it corrected itself after a few hours but the time zone on my laptop is locked in Adelaide and won't let me change...
  4. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account: After the latest update in March 2024, the location of my computer in my Microsoft Account is shown as Vacaville CA and the address shown in Settings is Rockwood PA, the correct Address. I can't change the address in my Microsoft Account. Geek Squad tried to fix it and after...
  5. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account: After the latest update in March 2024, the location of my computer in my Microsoft Account is shown as Vacaville CA and the address shown in Settings is Rockwood PA, the correct Address. I can't change the address in my Microsoft Account. Geek Squad tried to fix it and after...
  6. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows location and timezone incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows location and timezone incorrect: We have an office of about 40 users and more than half of these are reporting their location and timezone as Brussels. We are located in Perth, Western Australia. So this is a very large shift in location. If we disable the WIFI adapters the location almost immediately...
  8. Device Location Is Incorrect

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device Location Is Incorrect: Hi everyone, I am having an issue in which the location service is showing the system in Oregon, despite the system being in Denver. I haven't been able to get it to recognize the correct location. The steps that have been taken so far are: - Attempted to get the system to...
  9. Incorrect Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect Location: Built my computer a couple months ago, have not been able to change to the correct time zone for more than a day. I’ve changed the time zone to the correct one and it just defaults back to the incorrect one. Ive changed the CMOS battery, enabled Windows Time service, and...
  10. Windows Reports Incorrect Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Reports Incorrect Location: Hello, Unfortunately it seems that windows is reporting the wrong location on my laptop. Worse yet, since the location it reports is across a time zone the wrong time is reported for my location. While I can manually set the time zone, I'd prefer not to. If I search on Bing...