Windows 10: device manager ghosts

Discus and support device manager ghosts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has probably been asked before but I was checking my device manager to see if everthing was working right and turned on show hidden devices. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thomaseg1, Apr 4, 2019.

1. thomaseg1 Win User

device manager ghosts

This has probably been asked before but
    I was checking my device manager to see if everthing was working right and turned on show hidden devices.
    It showed a number of duplicates and drives ghosted. a couple were from when I was combining
    some usb drives and another for a printer I got rid of last year.
    Should I delete/uninstall them or just leave them? Do the these ghosts have any effect on
    the system?

:)

thomaseg1, Apr 4, 2019
  2. Novgorod Win User

Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device

Thanks for the suggestion, but it can't remove the NIC:

device manager ghosts [​IMG]

It's the only Intel I219-V that shows up in the device list of the DeviceCleaner program (it shows only non-present devices as I understand). Otherwise, the tool works - I found a ghost replica of the integrated GPU (Intel HD 530) and could remove it. Only the NIC gives this error message on removal, which is probably the reason I can't remove it the normal way through the device manager.

Novgorod, Apr 4, 2019
  3. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Apr 4, 2019
  4. device manager ghosts

No hardware listed in Device manager?

I don't konw whathappend but in Device manager and in my Network connections there is nothing where there used to be a Modem listed and all my hardware in Device Manager. What happend and how do I fix this?

device manager ghosts What%20the%20Crap.jpg

AphexDreamer, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

device manager ghosts

1. device manager ghosts - Similar Threads - device manager ghosts

2. Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?: i've installed a game with terabox then deleted it entirely, but now there's a ghost device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/probable-ghost-storage-device-how-to-remove/5d93b565-7a97-4a3e-b682-26e3be29d8c2
  3. Unknown ghost device in device manager under Universal controller device keep reappearing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown ghost device in device manager under Universal controller device keep reappearing...: Hi there, Around 3 weeks ago I start getting annoying warnings that a "USB device" was disconnected and reconnected and as time moved on it kept increasing,Looking on the Device manager under Universal controller devices I found an Unknown Device that don't belong to...
  4. Unknown ghost device in device manager under Universal controller device keep reappearing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown ghost device in device manager under Universal controller device keep reappearing...: Hi there, Around 3 weeks ago I start getting annoying warnings that a "USB device" was disconnected and reconnected and as time moved on it kept increasing,Looking on the Device manager under Universal controller devices I found an Unknown Device that don't belong to...
  5. Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...: This issue is something that has been haunting me for some time now and just recently I discovered what could be the culprit. I came across this because of a videogame called osu!. Long story short, the game renders your cursor by itself ( so no windows pointer or...
  6. Ghost Devices in 20H2 Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ghost Devices in 20H2 Device Manager: Why are there a bunch of ghost devices in 20H2 when I show hidden devices in Device Manager? Some of those ghost devices are floppy drives and controllers, PS/2 mouse and keyboard, two COM ports, IDE controllers, Intel 82371AB/EB IDE bus master controller, a bunch of...
  7. Can't remove ghost devices from Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't remove ghost devices from Family: Can someone please help me remove ghost devices. I have a couple of devices that were under my kids' accounts. When I log into their individual Microsoft accounts and check the Devices page, I don't see the ghost device. But when I log in as me parent and go to the Family...
  8. device manager ghosts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    device manager ghosts: This has probably been asked before but I was checking my device manager to see if everthing was working right and turned on show hidden devices. It showed a number of duplicates and drives ghosted. a couple were from when I was combining some usb drives and another for a...
  9. Many ghost routers in Devices and Printers

Many ghost routers in Devices and Printers: It seems that every restart of my router adds to Devices and Printers new router ghost. How to avoid this? [img] 81892
  10. "Ghost" devices

"Ghost" devices: EDIT to save you time: This thread has some useful tools to help rid your computer of old driver packages and ghost devices. Turns out my issue was a registry problem, that was resolved on the 2nd page. ORIGINAL POST: Hey guys, I have this problem where a...