Windows 10: Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network

Discus and support Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Gigabit Network Connection network adapter is disabled on my computer that talks to my router over wi-fi, not through a cable. I don't recall having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wisewiz, May 4, 2021.

1. Wisewiz Win User

Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network

Gigabit Network Connection network adapter is disabled on my computer that talks to my router over wi-fi, not through a cable. I don't recall having disabled it, but I clearly don't need it when my wi-fi router is only 8 feet away, and everything internet- and home network-related works beautifully and fast as lightning. Bothers me, though that Device Manager always has Network Adapters expanded, clearly to call attention to the fact that the GNC adapter is disabled. Should I uninstall that adapter and its driver software to calm the Device Manager? Would uninstalling it make the Device Manager happier? (See Computer specs, System 2) Win 10 Pro 20H2

:)

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  2. Wisewiz Win User

Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network [​IMG]

That's how it looks when I open it. I didn't expand the Adapters. It's automatic when there's something to check, as you know.

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  3. Wisewiz Win User

Tweaker, you old fellow-Canuck,

You've covered it for me. And your two screenshots answered my question about where I saw the "unplugged" notice. I'm going to go with your solution. Many thanks for taking the time to do the shots and address my problem. Stay safe. *Warning

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  4. Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network

Hi Wisewiz,

Sometimes settings just seem to magically change state without warning, especially with Windows OSs. *Smile

Your device manager is designed to open in an expanded state to draw attention to any deficiencies. While you may be happy to have your Ethernet Controller disabled, Windows just doesn't agree and wants you to know about it.

I only use an Ethernet connection for testing and quite rarely, so I understand your thinking that having it enabled isn't necessary. Remember, we only lease Windows and Microsoft always knows best. *Smile

When I disable my Ethernet Controller and then open the device manager, the Network Adapters section is expanded and the icon for the controller is altered like yours.

I too dislike seeing the Network Adapters expanded and choose to keep my Ethernet Controller enabled so that when I open the Device Manager, everything looks as it should, no sections appear expanded and no unusual icons. *Smile

If you uninstall the adapter, it will install again after the next boot. As Berton mentioned, your bios settings may have an option to disable the Ethernet Adapter, however; this action will create a new task should you ever decide to use an Ethernet connection.

Whenever I to use an Ethernet connection, I plug in the RJ45 connector and I'm done. No closing all apps and restart to access bios settings. That just sounds like too much effort. *Smile

If you choose to enable the ethernet controller, this entire issue will disappear. *Smile

W10 Tweaker, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Device Manager: Network Adapters always expanded -- Gigabit Network - Similar Threads - Device Manager Network

2. Wireless Network Adapter not showing in Device Manager or in Network and Sharing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless Network Adapter not showing in Device Manager or in Network and Sharing.: I bought a ASUS TUF Gamming F15 FX506LHB 1 year ago and the Network adapter has abruptly stopped working. It had been working fine beforehand.It is not showing up in Network and Sharing Centre. It was hidden in Device Manager. In fact the Bluetooth options have disappeared as...
  3. Wireless Network Adapter not showing in Device Manager or in Network and Sharing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless Network Adapter not showing in Device Manager or in Network and Sharing.: I bought a ASUS TUF Gamming F15 FX506LHB 1 year ago and the Network adapter has abruptly stopped working. It had been working fine beforehand.It is not showing up in Network and Sharing Centre. It was hidden in Device Manager. In fact the Bluetooth options have disappeared as...
  4. Wireless network adapter is hidden in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless network adapter is hidden in device manager: My Laptop Windows 10 can't connect to wifi can't find wifi option. When I check my wifi adapter in device manager it was missing, then when I click on View>>Show hidden devices. I saw my wifi adapter is disabled and I double click on it. It says "currently this hardware...
  5. Network adapter shows device not connected in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network adapter shows device not connected in Device Manager: I'm setting up a new SURFACE Pro 7 to replace my Pro 4. New machine won't connect to the Internet via my home wi-fi. Device manager lists the adapter and says the driver is current. However, the General tab says "Currently. this hardware device is not connected to the...
  6. Gigabit Network Card is only showing 100mbps in network adapter>status

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gigabit Network Card is only showing 100mbps in network adapter>status: I'm using 3600+B450 tomahawk max mobo with CAT6 LAN cable plugged in. I'm using Win10 1909 18363.815 All the while it has been 1Gbps until few days ago it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting by its own. And when reconnects it shows 100mbps. Cable should be working fine as...
  7. gigabit network connection

gigabit network connection: I have lost my network on my desk top. I have tried downloading the drivers to a USB and installing them but system says corrupt files I Have done a fresh install of windows 10 and still no network. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?...
  8. Wifi adapter plugged in/in device manager, no networks

Wifi adapter plugged in/in device manager, no networks: The problem arised after I had come back from a month of using an ethernet connection which I no longer have access to, so I switched back to this, to find it not working at all. The Wifi adapter doesn't even show up in network connections. In device manager, it shows up and...
  9. Network Adapter Ok in Device Manager not in network connections etc

Network Adapter Ok in Device Manager not in network connections etc: So originally I upgraded my mini PCI card and was trying to get that working... It was recognized in the device manager but not the network connections.. I could not see the adapter to use or enable/disable etc despite having the drivers up to date. Now I have my old card...
  10. Shortcut to Device Manager/Network Adapters/. . .

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to Device Manager/Network Adapters/. . .: I'd like to make a shortcut to Device Manager/Network Adapters/Nvidia nforce networking controller. Or, better still, a batch command to disallow the device from waking the computer. The problem is that it frequently reverts to allowing wake, thus making it impossible to...