Windows 10: Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits

Discus and support Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am currently trying to fix a touch issue with my Surface Pro 3 and it requires me to install a new driver. This driver is supposed to be included in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Konrad L, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Konrad L Win User

Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits

I am currently trying to fix a touch issue with my Surface Pro 3 and it requires me to install a new driver. This driver is supposed to be included in the human interaction device but was not there and restarting did not reinstall the device automatically. Therefore, I decided to download and install the driver myself. However, when I right click on devices in the device manager, the only options that are shown are "scan for hardware changes' and "properties." Scanning for hardware changes does nothing for the situation I am in, and when I go into the properties, it is blank. This only happens for the devices and systems, the drivers themselves give me the option to update or uninstall them, like they should. I have looked up ways of fixing this issue but there seems to be no solution on the internet. I have restarted the computer many times, made sure plug and play is running, scanned for corrupted files, ran everything as admin, updated windows to the most recent version. I have spent so much time on this and have not even found a hint as to how to fix this issue.

:)

Konrad L, Jul 26, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

'Allow a device to connect' is greyed out

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your USB Port. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top
      right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check the Bluetooth Settings and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel by clicking the
      Windows + X,

• In the Control Panel search box, type
      Bluetooth, and then click Change Bluetooth settings.

• In the Bluetooth Settings dialog box, click the
      Options tab and do any of the following:

• To make your computer discoverable to Bluetooth enabled devices, select the check box for
      Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer.

• To allow you to add Bluetooth enabled devices to your computer, select the check box for
      Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer.

• To be notified when a Bluetooth enabled device is trying to connect to your computer, select the check box for
      Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jul 26, 2020
  3. No hardware listed in Device manager?

I don't konw whathappend but in Device manager and in my Network connections there is nothing where there used to be a Modem listed and all my hardware in Device Manager. What happend and how do I fix this?

Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits What%20the%20Crap.jpg

AphexDreamer, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits

USB devices have yellow marker in device manager under 'Other devices'

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of your devices?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check.

• Press the Windows + X,
      and click on Search.

• Type troubleshooting and select
      Troubleshooting

• Click on Hardware and Sound and select
      Hardware and Devices

• Click on Next to run the troubleshooter

Method 2: Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.

• Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.

• Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.

• Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits

1. Device Manager Not Allowing Any Edits - Similar Threads - Device Manager Allowing

2. Is there any way to force device manager to show the actual name of a device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there any way to force device manager to show the actual name of a device.: I'm trying to troubleshoot a USB issue with a few devices but how do you find the device when all you see is generic naming in the device manager? Is there any way to rename these device labels? I don't have this many devices. I have 6 USB devices plugged in. But windows show...
  3. Is there any way to force device manager to show the actual name of a device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to force device manager to show the actual name of a device.: I'm trying to troubleshoot a USB issue with a few devices but how do you find the device when all you see is generic naming in the device manager? Is there any way to rename these device labels? I don't have this many devices. I have 6 USB devices plugged in. But windows show...
  4. "Allow my organization to manage my device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Allow my organization to manage my device": Hello,I am confused about the “Allow my organization to manage my device” setting, or how work/school accounts work in general. If I sign in through my work account on my home computer, will they be able to see what I do? What can they change or see on my device?It would be...
  5. "Allow my organization to manage my device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Allow my organization to manage my device": Hello,I am confused about the “Allow my organization to manage my device” setting, or how work/school accounts work in general. If I sign in through my work account on my home computer, will they be able to see what I do? What can they change or see on my device?It would be...
  6. Allow my organization to manage my device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allow my organization to manage my device: Hello Everyone, I have a question, currently my work IT requested that in Microsoft Teams installed on my PC to check "Allow my organization to manage my device". Noting that I do not have the pass for this Microsoft Teams account, since the IT input it whenever MS Teams...
  7. Removed a device- cannot find any trace of it in device manager.

Removed a device- cannot find any trace of it in device manager.: I accidentally "removed" my apple airpods from my PC, I meant to disconnect. I cannot find the device anymore. I went to Device Manager, then I downloaded a few third party applications, Ghostbuster and Devmanview, to try to find the airpods. I cannot find anything that...
  8. What is "Allow my organization to manage my device"?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What is "Allow my organization to manage my device"?: I recently signed in with my work account and I was prompted with this. Can my organization wipe my data and control Windows settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-allow-my-organization-to-manage-my-device/231ab7ea-1acb-4b03-9f63-3e8350279388
  9. any unistall from device manager hangs

any unistall from device manager hangs: I'm using windows 10 home, trying to uninstall some devices from the device manager, however, every time I initiate an uninstall it prompts the warning you are about to uninstall. Click uninstall and it says uninstalling devices and has the screen bar scrolling. At this point...
  10. Can’t Update ANY driver in device management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t Update ANY driver in device management: It all began when I got my Logitech g29 driving wheel yesterday and spent hours trying to get it to work with no success. After a while I landed on a video that suggested to update the g29 drivers. After I did and restarted, I found out nothing changed. So I tried to change...