Windows 10: Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop

Discus and support Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It incorrectly says DESKTOP in Device manager when it is actually a LAPTOP. Also has three alerts saying base system device! The LAPTOP appears to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by The MooresFamily, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop

It incorrectly says DESKTOP in Device manager when it is actually a LAPTOP. Also has three alerts saying base system device! The LAPTOP appears to still work ok but it is disconcerting. Help appreciated.

:)

The MooresFamily, Aug 26, 2021
  2. AndreePin Win User

Imaging Devices missing in Device Manager and Webcam doesn't working

Hi,

Since you mentioned that the said driver is missing in Device Manager, what we suggest is for you to check in the Hidden Devices section on Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps below:

• On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.
    • Click on View and select
      Show Hidden Devices.
    • Check for the webcam under Imaging Devices.
    • If the webcam is listed, then right-click on it and select
      Update Driver Software
    • Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software and follow the prompted steps.
    Please post back with the result for further assistance

AndreePin, Aug 26, 2021
  3. My laptop is not showing other devices or unknown devices

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Some devices might be listed under hidden devices in Device Manager, I suggest you to open Device Manager then click on View option and click on Show hidden devices. Once it is done, check whether you can find the device.

As an initial step of troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the device with other USB ports and check if it is detected (If you are connecting through USB).

Also, try updating the USB drivers and check if it helps. Follow the below steps.

-Open Device Manager.

-Find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

-Right-click on each driver listed and click on Update Driver Software

-Restart the system after updating the drivers.

-Try connecting the device and check if the issue still persists.

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Aug 26, 2021
  4. Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop

device manager not showing correct cpu

this one has me confused, .When i look in device manage under processors it is still showing my old q8200 cpu and ive upgraded to the q9650. why would it not show this in device manager? , The bios shows it, cpuiz shows the q9650, the vista basic information shows it but not under device manager/ should I be concerned about this ? any ideas would be great thanx Dragon

DTV DRAGON, Aug 26, 2021
Thema:

Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop

1. Device manager wrongly shows my laptop as being a desktop - Similar Threads - Device manager wrongly

2. My device shows wrong storage amount

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My device shows wrong storage amount: Hi! My HP computer uses Windows 10 Home, version 19045.3930. I have an issue with my device showing the wrong amount of storage. When I check on this device, it is saying that I have 377GB available. However, when I check my device on diskpart, it only says I have 6144kB...
  3. My laptop gpu is not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop gpu is not showing up in device manager: It’s been 2 days. I opened my laptop and it wasn’t connecting to my monitor so I went to device manager and it’s not showing up it’s an rtx 3060 it’s in the hidden devices u tried to uninstall it but now it’s just not there any way to fix this ?...
  4. My laptop gpu is not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop gpu is not showing up in device manager: It’s been 2 days. I opened my laptop and it wasn’t connecting to my monitor so I went to device manager and it’s not showing up it’s an rtx 3060 it’s in the hidden devices u tried to uninstall it but now it’s just not there any way to fix this ?...
  5. My laptop gpu is not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Desktop Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Device Manager: so i have a issue where DWM desktop windows manager is using nearly 100% of GPU i have tried all the fixes to no avail. the thing is if i open windows settings it goes down to 5%. I close settings and it instantly jumps back up? this make zero sense to me. any help greatly...
  7. Desktop Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Device Manager: so i have a issue where DWM desktop windows manager is using nearly 100% of GPU i have tried all the fixes to no avail. the thing is if i open windows settings it goes down to 5%. I close settings and it instantly jumps back up? this make zero sense to me. any help greatly...
  8. Error showing that my device is being managed by my organisation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error showing that my device is being managed by my organisation: [ATTACH] I tried using Virus and Threat protection but this keeps showing up every time. Need help ! How do I fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-showing-that-my-device-is-being-managed-by/fe408138-37d9-4799-baae-2cb346d6d756
  9. showing wrong location of my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    showing wrong location of my desktop: my desktop is showing wrong location. how can i correct this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/showing-wrong-location-of-my-desktop/4d8f6cf4-25da-45e2-a8a2-38735a5a33e0
  10. The Find My Device function shows my desktop computer in the wrong city

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Find My Device function shows my desktop computer in the wrong city: Hi, I was looking at my account information and clicked the Find My PC option. It showed a map and it said my PC was located inside the circle. Well, the circle was around a whole city. It happens to be the wrong city. I live about 28 miles away roughly from the center of...