Windows 10: Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

Discus and support Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, my laptop was plugged in to an outlet, and certainly charging. However, when I check for updates, it said: "Plug in your device to continue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KhoiDo Dinh, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

Hello, my laptop was plugged in to an outlet, and certainly charging. However, when I check for updates, it said: "Plug in your device to continue installing this update". As you can see, this is a firmware update. How is it possible that already plugged in device but still says "Plug in". I also disabled the option to install manufacturer's update Dell from "advanced system settings" and capsule firmware updates from UEFI. My laptop is a Dell Vostro 3405, processor Ryzen 5 3500u with radeon mobile gfx, 8GB ram.

:)

KhoiDo Dinh, Jan 19, 2022

2. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Jan 19, 2022
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jan 19, 2022
  4. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

Headphones output device is not plugged in

A quick update about additional steps I tried:

1. Uninstall KB4512508 (no effect)
    2. Re-install KB4512508 (no effect)
    3. Disable and re-enable High Definition Audio Device via device manager (no effect)

As a last ditch I booted the PC with a live OS from USB storage and to my surprise the Headphones socket on the front panel was detected and worked fine. I think this should rule out a hardware-related issue.

Once again, I would appreciate any suggestion to solve this problem.

Best regards,

randomisator, Jan 19, 2022
Thema:

Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

1. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this... - Similar Threads - Device plugged Update

2. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...: Hello, my laptop was plugged in to an outlet, and certainly charging. However, when I check for updates, it said: "Plug in your device to continue installing this update". As you can see, this is a firmware update. How is it possible that already plugged in device but still...
  3. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...: Hello, my laptop was plugged in to an outlet, and certainly charging. However, when I check for updates, it said: "Plug in your device to continue installing this update". As you can see, this is a firmware update. How is it possible that already plugged in device but still...
  4. Device plugged in but Windows Update said "Plug in your device to continue installing this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. HDMI device "Not Plugged In"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI device "Not Plugged In": The HDMI software/driver for my laptop has suddenly stopped working. I've made sure to update Windows currently using 10 and all my drivers, but the when an HDMI is plugged in, the laptop doesn't even sense it, much less plug it in. I don't believe this is a hardware issue,...
  6. HDMI device "Not Plugged In"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI device "Not Plugged In": The HDMI software/driver for my laptop has suddenly stopped working. I've made sure to update Windows currently using 10 and all my drivers, but the when an HDMI is plugged in, the laptop doesn't even sense it, much less plug it in. I don't believe this is a hardware issue,...
  7. HDMI device "Not Plugged In"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. plug-and-play device

plug-and-play device: So I don't know why but for a few days my pc crashes or got blue screns with the error codes: irql not less or equal kmode exception not handled kernel security check failure I looked in the program perform record what the problem is and it turned out that there is an...
  9. Plugged in devices not detected

Plugged in devices not detected: I plugged my mic which the computer didn't even detect, while it does detect my headset but does not show the attachment in devices connected. Also it turns the audio recorded from my headset to static. i updated and everything but the problem persists...
  10. Headphones output device is not plugged in

Headphones output device is not plugged in: Hello! Today I found myself in the following situation: I I did some gaming on my desktop PC with headphones plugged in to front panel. Afterwards I unplugged them to use them with another device and left the PC running. When I returned and plugged in headphones again, they...