Windows 10: Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time

Discus and support Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings! I have two identical HP xw4600 Workstations running Windows 10. They each have an add-on card for USB-C. Connected to that USB-C expansion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AGSJunior, May 20, 2019.

1. AGSJunior Win User

Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time

Greetings!

I have two identical HP xw4600 Workstations running Windows 10. They each have an add-on card for USB-C. Connected to that USB-C expansion card is a USB-C hub that has 3 standard USB 3.0 ports plus two card reading slots. Again, both machines have this same external hub.

I noticed today that one machine runs the "Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device" every time I plug in a USB Flash Drive. The kicker is, that it also runs if I plug this into the built-in USB ports on the front of the machine.

On the second desktop, this does not happen on either the hub or the built-in ports. I checked to see if there was anything in the Autoplay settings and there was nothing setup. In Services, Device Setup Manager is not even running on both machines.

We have multiple other Windows 10 desktops in our office that has the USB-C expansion card and the hub and this behavior does not happen. They are different models, but I wanted to make that note.

Any help that can be provided as to why this behavior is happening on this one machine would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
    Albert

:)

AGSJunior, May 20, 2019
  2. KevH123 Win User

how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hi there:

I have a Seagate USB portable drive and I mainly use it to connect to my ASUS Oplay! media player to watch the content on TV.

This device use to be an USB mass storage device.

Recently, I noticed whenever I eject my seagte portable drive, the device is showing as ""USB attached SCSI mass storage device" instead of a regular "USB mass storage device". This is when my media player stopped recognising the portable drive (showing
    the device is not supported). The portable drive works fine on my Windows 10 PC, just not recognising by my media player anymore.

Wondering if anyone can point out how I can restore my portable hard drive back to a generic USB mass storage device instead of being a "USB attached SCSI mass storage device".

Thank you.

KevH123, May 20, 2019
  3. KAL
    Kal Win User
    Block USB access, but allow only specific ones (in particular, one USB mass storage device)

Following @Ramhound's suggestion, I got it working using group policy.

The general direction is documented here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2007.06.grouppolicy.aspx

In particular, the "Prevent installation of removable devices" rule is what I need.

So here's a summary of what I ended up doing:

1. In Device Manger, uninstall all USB devices that I don't want, including the ones that are currently not connected - there's an environment variable called DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES that enables the display of installed, but currently disconnected devices; just search the web for "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES";
    2. Install the USB device that I want; in this case, a USB mass storage device;
    3. Enable the "Prevent installation of removable devices" rule in Group Policy.

Caveat emptor:

1. Group policy probably can't effectively block some devices that don't expose a unique serial ID. E.g if a certain vendor model of USB mass storage device doesn't expose a unique serial ID, and you have installed one, then group policy might allow any other instances of the same vendor model to be mounted. I don't have such a model of USB mass storage device with me, so I can't really verify.
    2. As far as I understand, USB device IDs are not signed and thus cannot be verified - i.e. if a USB device claims to be a certain device, with a particular serial ID, there is no way for the computer to tell whether that's true. A bad guy could build a USB device with forged USB device ID and forged serial ID, in order to get it accepted by you computer, though even then.

With all that said, this solution works if you assume that all your devices expose unique serial IDs and that nobody tries to forge a USB device to get it accepted by your computer.

4. Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time

USB Mass Storage device is an older USB device and moight not work with USB 3.0

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Hardware and Devices

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click the USB Mass Storage Device in the list

Click Uninstall

Restart then check if its detected and working.

Other things you can try:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2019
Thema:

Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time

1. Device Setup/Installing USB Mass Storage Device Runs Every Time - Similar Threads - Device Setup Installing

2. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device": I have a piece of software that I MUST use to make flash cards for some equipment. The flash cards are essentially the equipment's hard drive and they have a mix of Linux and Windows partitions. Here is the problem I'm having...I have a flash card reader made by Onn that...
  3. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device": I have a piece of software that I MUST use to make flash cards for some equipment. The flash cards are essentially the equipment's hard drive and they have a mix of Linux and Windows partitions. Here is the problem I'm having...I have a flash card reader made by Onn that...
  4. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  6. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  7. USB Mass Storage Device (Code38)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Mass Storage Device (Code38): Hi All I've been working on this issue for a few weeks months now and still no joy. My issue is as follows and I hope someone can point me in the right direction; If I boot the workstation fresh my external USB drive is present and works. That night I am able to run...
  8. Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device: It is getting to the point where every time I leave a USB device plugged into my computer for more than 5 minutes, when I try to eject it, I get the INCREDIBLY annoying message: “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device. This device is currently in use. Close any programs or...
  9. USB mass storage device problem

USB mass storage device problem: I am running a windows 10. AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.5Ghz 8GB Ram 64 Bit Windows Version 1803 I am trying to do some work where I need to write data (3D print files) to an SD card for printing. It is part of a product testing cycle. When I first turn the...
  10. Problem with the USB mass storage device driver

Problem with the USB mass storage device driver: Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the control panel, but said there was a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. I reinstalled the mass storage, and it...