Windows 10: Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons

Discus and support Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Accessing Devices and Printers in Control Panel does not show enhanced icons for my mouse and my printer at all. However, when refreshing the Devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PilotRain942054, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons

Accessing Devices and Printers in Control Panel does not show enhanced icons for my mouse and my printer at all. However, when refreshing the Devices and Printers window, each tiny clock stalls on some devices, meaning 'Device set up in progress'. This happens after reinstalling Windows 10. Does anyone else experience this problem?

:)

PilotRain942054, Oct 13, 2019

2. Representative Printer Icons Replaced by Generic Printer Icons

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to remove the icon and add the icon again.

If this doesn't helps, uninstall and Reinstall the Printer's Driver.

Step 1: Uninstall the Printer's Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Printer from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove
      the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Step 2:Go to the Printer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the printer model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Oct 13, 2019
  3. PC Pilot Win User
    Change Device Icons with Custom Icons - Devices & Printers

Hi All,

Wondering if you can offer me some pointers here......

Brink put together an excellent tutorial on this process for Windows 7 (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tom-icons.html) and with some adaption for the revisions to the Metadata Authoring Wizard contained in the Windows 10 Drivers Kit I have already customised my device icons and even provided some (limited) assistance to others grappling with the task (iPhone shown as Unspecified in Devices and Printers).

All that is, with a couple of pesky exceptions namely the main system icon which remains set at it's somewhat bland generic Windows 10 image and I am at a loss as to how to change it to a more representative custom image....

Secondly, the (ugly) generic icon representing the WiFi Gigabit Router (always shown under the custom name assigned to my network) is inaccessible ("greyed out") such that selecting properties (right click) and bring up the properties dialogue offers the usual "General", "Hardware" and "UPnP" tabs but the "Properties" button on the "Hardware" tab is "greyed out" and thus non of the required Hardware ID's can be accessed.

Returning to the "System" icon customisation I am able to access the Properties and from the Hardware Tab to select "ACPI x64-based PC" from a very comprehensive "System Devices" list and then to select the "Properties" button and from the resulting "Details" tab selecting the "Hardware ID" simply reveals just "acpiapic"

Using the Metadata Authoring Wizard and selecting "Device Only Metadata" for the "Package Type" (step 1) and then "Computer*Biggrinesktop" or "Computer:Tower" from the tree in "Device Categories" (step 2) produces the following error (see screen shot)...

Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons [​IMG]

choosing "Yes" reverts the selection in (step 1) to "Internal Devices" whilst selecting "No" simply deselects the chosen "Device Categories" (step 2).

Proceeding as an "Internal Device" to "Locales" (step 3) and selecting "English (United Kingdom) en-GB" from the tree allows proceeding to "Device Info" (step 4) into which under "Model Name" the following text string representing my Motherboard was inserted "Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer 64 Bit Windows PC" along with the corresponding details for "Manufacturer", "Model Number", "Description 1" & "Description 2" together with a representative icon. See screenshot.

Proceeding to "Hardware Info" (step 5) and opting to add a Hardware ID offers the following choices which with the assistance of CPU-Z I completed with the representative entries on the following screenshot before generating the error message in the subsequent screenshot referring to two GUID's hardware for which I have been unable to identify in either the Windows directory or the Registry....

see here

Cancelling the error and proceeding to "App Info" (step 6) which I left unfilled (default?) then to "Windows Info" (step 7) in which all I did was to check the box for the item "Show the device when it is disconnected" moving finally to "Finish" which resulted in the error message displayed in the final screenshot below

For ease of reading the full text reads:

The following errors must be fixed before your metadata package can be created:

Hardware info

: Each OEM hardware ID must have associated SMBIOS information to successfully submit to the Windows Hardware Dev Center Dashboard. If you have a device manifest file (devicemanifest-ms), you should edit it instead of editing the device metadata file (devicemetadata-ms). Otherwise, you can enter the SMBIOS information on the Hardware Info page.

Hopefully, someone can identify exactly what I have omitted....

One final thought, is customising this item likely to have any influence on the "Digital Entitlement" held by MS's servers for automatic activation/re-activation?

All advice much appreciated as ever....

Thanks in advance,

PC Pilot, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons

New Printer Not Showing in Devices & Printers (But Does Show in Device Manager)

Now I have no printers and Devices and Printers at all, not even a banner (but it still shows in Device Manager).

I have uninstalled all the new Brother printer driver & utilities programs (again) and rebooted (again). I also turned off MS XPS print services from Programs and Features, just in case. In Device Manager, I clicked ‘Show hidden devices’ and found
    three instances of the old printer plus the old Prolific Parallel – USB adapter cable (now returned & refunded). All these were ghosted out but I uninstalled all of them anyway.

I checked ‘spooling’ in ‘Services’ and this is set to ‘Automatic’ (and is ‘Running’).

These posts did not help:

1)

Windows 10 - Epson C88+ not showing in devices and printers

Let us try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to update the drivers for printer in Device Manager:

• Right click on Start button and select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Print queues, right click on the drivers and click on
      Update driver software.
    • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter
    Step 3: I suggest you to run Printer troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel, select
      Category and then select Large or Small icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View all in the left pane.
    • Select Printer and follow on-screen instructions.

2)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/17420/windows-printer-problems

= ‘Fix printer problems’ on MS Support

I do not understand why I’m having so many problems but am desperate for help – please!

Chris

ChrisOfTheOT, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons

1. Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons - Similar Threads - Devices Printers Show

2. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  3. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  4. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic icon: [img] Greetings, I have notepad files on the desktop, but the icons for these are generic (the last file in the picture). Someone else had this problem. They were told to delete a file: %localAppData%\IconCache.db I have deleted the file and rebooted but the icons are...
  6. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Generic icons showing instead of pictures: I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?...
  7. some icons show blank generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    some icons show blank generic icon: i have a problem with my windows 10 desktop (1903 built 18362.952) where the icons will be blanked (see the attachement with the red squares) - how do i reset it? it also appears in file explorer. it does not effect my programs operation however. 149110
  8. Devices and Printers doesn't show the printer official icon

Devices and Printers doesn't show the printer official icon: Hello i installed the official driver for LEXMARK MS510dn but i noticed that after installation the icon of the printer is shown as generic. After clicking properties i noticed that manufacturer is empty under device information. How can i restore the official icon of the...
  9. Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10: I run an application that requires printing to the Generic Text only print driver. Hsve been running it for years - fitst in WinXP, then in Windows 7 and it ran fine - no problems. Renently set up new computer with win10 pro x64 and cannot get the generic only text driver to...
  10. Install Printer using Generic / Text Only

Install Printer using Generic / Text Only: We have receipt printers which connect via parallel port. We are changing to newer printers which connect via USB port. Because of an important application (from our Application Service Provider), the receipt printer needs to use the Generic / Text Only driver (which also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 changed icons for printers

2. devices and printers how to change keyboard icon windows 10

3. how to change device icon on printerd and device

4. Replace generic device icons with enhanced icons Windows 10,
  5. devices and printer windows phone icon,
  6. windows 10 only shows generic printer and microsoft printers,
  7. missing icons in control panel devices and printers,
  8. How to change generic devices icons win 10,
  9. FING icons generic devices,
  10. devices and printers enhanced icons,
  11. keyboard mouse and printer icons not showing in control panel devices,