Windows 10: Devices hang after windows updates

Discus and support Devices hang after windows updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi We have multiple devices (mixture of Dell Latitude laptops and Microsoft Surface Pros) that hang on restart after installing Windows updates. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrianMulvany, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Devices hang after windows updates

Hi

We have multiple devices (mixture of Dell Latitude laptops and Microsoft Surface Pros) that hang on restart after installing Windows updates. We will just get either a Microsoft logo (on Surface Pro) or Dell Logo (on laptops) along with a spinning icon. It never goes past this stage even after several hours. I have to go to advanced startup options and do a system restore. This is very time consuming doing it multiple times.

All of these devices are using Bit locker for encryption. This hasn't happened to any of our desktop machines.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Regards

Brian

:)

BrianMulvany, Mar 20, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Devices hang after windows updates

Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Devices hang after windows updates

1. Devices hang after windows updates - Similar Threads - Devices hang updates

2. windows toolbar hangs after recent windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows toolbar hangs after recent windows update: Hi,I just update both my PC and laptop to the latest version of windows. I noticed that after several minutes my toolbar is not responding anymore. The only way i discovered to get out of that "hang" situation is when i press ctrl + alt + del and press task manager. Once the...
  3. windows toolbar hangs after recent windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows toolbar hangs after recent windows update: Hi,I just update both my PC and laptop to the latest version of windows. I noticed that after several minutes my toolbar is not responding anymore. The only way i discovered to get out of that "hang" situation is when i press ctrl + alt + del and press task manager. Once the...
  4. windows toolbar hangs after recent windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hang after installation of update 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hang after installation of update 2004: Hi I have downloaded and install the update 2004 when it was available for my system but failed because of system was hang during installation show error Failed to install on ‎04/‎06/‎2020 - 0xc1900101...
  6. Computer hangs after recent update

Computer hangs after recent update: Since a recent update of W10 I have noticed that my computer hangs. Activating Task Manager seems to get the laptop working again but it keeps doing it. Also I have noticed that right click type windows keep opening randomly all the time. I have tried a complete reset but...
  7. Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.: I've updated four different Surface devices to 1903 (Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Go & Surface Laptop 1. Two issues that I've noticed with all four devices is that the shut down process often (but not always) takes longer than what I'm used to experiencing. I click the...
  8. Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

Windows 10 update hangs after restarting: I am running 1803 and have not received any 1809 updates yet. The laptop is a hp 8640p. With the regular auto update process it downloaded and installed 2 updates (don't know the kb no.). First update required reboot and the second one showed 100% installed. Since I went to...
  9. Restart hangs up after windows update

Restart hangs up after windows update: following windows 10 updates, then going into restart after installing an update, the PC (restart process) just sits there spinning and never completes to a restart. I always must force shutdown, holding power switch. This after waiting in excess of one hour and more......
  10. BSOD - PC Hangs on Device install after reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - PC Hangs on Device install after reset: Received the BSOD on Saturday for no apparent reason - no device or driver changes etc, system was fully up to date with Windows Updates. Original failure message was that it was something to do with power drivers. Attempted booting to Safe Mode but would not accept any...