Windows 10: Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs

Discus and support Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; When I look at the Devices section on my MS Account it's obvious which devices are PCs and which are VMs. This is a typical VM designation is thus:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by SoFine409, Jul 26, 2019.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs

When I look at the Devices section on my MS Account it's obvious which devices are PCs and which are VMs. This is a typical VM designation is thus:

Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs [​IMG]

What's not obvious is a way to relate the various entries to the actual VM in Hype-V Manager. Since I have a number of VMs, some active and some long gone, I'd like to start removing the ones that are no longer active from my devices page. Does anyone know how I can relate the designations such as Desktop-GF98LKH to the actual Virtual Machine in Hyper-V?

:)

SoFine409, Jul 26, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Odd change in MS account list of devices

I was just checking my list of devices in my MS account, and I noticed two od things.

1) My Hyper-V virtual machines are just listed generically as "virtual machines" whereas they always used to be listed as "Hyper-V virtual machines". I liked it that way so I could tell Hyper-V machines separately from VMWARE VMS.

2) One of my VMs is now still listed in my MS account, even though I changed it to a local account. Previously device was always removed if you changed from MSA to local account. This is a good move assuming it is a change, not a glitch as this means the digital licence link will be retained if you changed to a local account for any reason.

cereberus, Jul 26, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User
    Odd change in MS account list of devices

Interesting. You are correct - they did say VMware version xxx but now they do not.

For me, VirtualBox (red) is still described as "VirtualBox". VMware (green) and Hyper-V (yellow) both say the generic "Virtual Machine"

Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs [​IMG]

It is definitely retained anyway. My Hyper-V VMs (Yellow above) are local accounts as they are for playing with insider builds. I always clean install and they always activate.

I also have more (old unused but activated) VMs that that are linked to this MS account and don't appear. I think the website shows recently connected VMs but isn't really tied to activation or license. It would be hard to test that though but I'll resurrect an old one and see.

4. Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs

Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs

1. Devices Page on MS Account, Desktop Designations for VMs - Similar Threads - Devices Page Account

2. MS Account>Family: Manage Permissions page is blank.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Account>Family: Manage Permissions page is blank.: MS Account>Family: Manage Permissions page is blank. I need to edit the age my family member who is listed as minor. Details; when he loggs into his MS Account, the DOB is very wrong and is not editable. I used my adult account, added him as a family member but there is no...
  3. Desktop design windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop design windows10: I give up, no mor question but statement: Massive tormenting and harassing ompulsive design solutions and even nerve-wracking design errors must finally be punished. Microsoft's bad design idiots add to disease on a massive scale. and that consciously, purposefully and,...
  4. Connecting devices with MS account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Connecting devices with MS account: I am trying to download an app from the MS store, but it says I do not have any applicable device linked to my MS account. I have had this laptop with MS Windows 10 for two years. How do I connect it to my account?...
  5. Remove Device from MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove Device from MS account: Disregard/Delete this post - pilot error. 117484
  6. Remove Device from MS account

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Device from MS account: I'd like to remove the 2 devices shown below from my MS account. According to Brink's tutorial, click on More Actions and get the Remove PC option. In my account the More Actions isn't "clickable". Any other options? ALSO - how do I delete the device from My Computers?...
  7. Adding devices to my MS Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding devices to my MS Account: I subscribed to Office on one pc; how can I add another pc on the same account? The only selection is add a Local Account, which was denied....
  8. MS Design 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Design 4: I have just downloaded a free copy of MS Design 4 and did a picture combination as a practice, but, it will only save as a design file, and therefore I cannot add it to a web page. Does anyone know, offhand, how to save as a jpg? *sarc It was just a practice effort. I can do...
  9. Devices list under MS account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices list under MS account: Hello I have a desktop PC plus an XBOX one. Both signed into my MS account. Until today (well that's when I first noticed) both the PC and the XBOX one are listed under 'My Devices' when I login to the account.microsoft.com However now the XBOX one listing is missing....
  10. Microsoft Account Device page revamped

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Account Device page revamped: When you own a lot of Windows 10 devices, it’s sometimes hard to keep track of them all and know the status of individual devices. This problem can now be solved, as Microsoft has just quietly rolled out a revamp to the Microsoft account devices page, now displaying more...