Windows 10: "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

Discus and support "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I installed 3 identical network printers on Windows 10 Pro fully updated, 21H1. No single problem, they all print fine and have the names as specified... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MarkMRJ, Oct 15, 2021.

1. MarkMRJ Win User

"Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

I installed 3 identical network printers on Windows 10 Pro fully updated, 21H1. No single problem, they all print fine and have the names as specified during the installation. Then I tried to install another identical model. When the installation ended, the "Devices & Printers" panel shows the new printer with driver's name, instead of the name I speficied. When I open "Printer Properties", the name on "General" tab is as expected/specified. I verified that in Print Management the name is also "as expected", but, again, in "Devices and Printers" the name shown is driver's name.Is this b

:)

MarkMRJ, Oct 15, 2021
  2. pepanee Win User

Changing printer device name

EDIT: Follow Shawn Brink's tutorial on how to do it. Much more in-depth and easier to follow than my steps. Check his post below.

1) Search for, and open, Control Panel
    2) Under Hardware and Sound, press: View devices and printers
    3) Right click on the printer, and press: Printer properties
    4) From here you can rename the printer.
    That's how I could rename my printer. Hopefully that works for you too.

"Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab [​IMG]

pepanee, Oct 15, 2021
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Printer Naming

Go to search and type control panel and open it.

Go to Hardware and sound and click Devices and Printers.

Right click the printer an select 'Printer Properties' NOT properties.

On the General tab change the name.

SarahKong, Oct 15, 2021
  4. "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

Changing the name of the printer

Hi PatriciaMartin7.

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor.

I would like to help you.

The first thing we have to do is open the Windows 10 Configuration page and once there navigate to the option Devices> Printers and scanners.

There we will find a list with all the printers where we can change the name to each one of them or to those that we are interested in. We click on the printer that we want to change its name to select it and we will automatically be shown three buttons. Click
    on Manage, we will see another window of the system configuration and there we have to look for the Printer Properties option.

This will open a window with the properties of that printer in which we can change the name from the General tab through the Change properties button and then save the changes.

If this does not work for you, you can try this other option:

Through the Control Panel. Therefore, we open the Panel and go to Hardware and Sound> View devices and printers. There we will find all the recognized printers in our computer, therefore, we have to find the one that we want to change the name and click on
    it with the right mouse button.

Next, we select the option Printer Properties from the context menu and the Properties window of the selected printer will open again. As we did before, we go to the General tab and there we can change the name of the printer. You should not ignore confirming
    the changes to be applied and so we can identify each of the printers with the name we want without any problem.

DouglasMillar69, Oct 15, 2021
Thema:

"Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

1. "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab - Similar Threads - Devices Printers show

2. [PRINTER] The printer's name is wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [PRINTER] The printer's name is wrong: HelloI have two printers on the network which are not on a server, you add them in printer and scannerThey have almost the same name but it's the model number and users often confuse them, so I have changed the name directly on the printer's configuration pageWhen they are...
  3. [PRINTER] The printer's name is wrong

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [PRINTER] The printer's name is wrong: HelloI have two printers on the network which are not on a server, you add them in printer and scannerThey have almost the same name but it's the model number and users often confuse them, so I have changed the name directly on the printer's configuration pageWhen they are...
  4. [PRINTER] The printer's name is wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab: I installed 3 identical network printers on Windows 10 Pro fully updated, 21H1. No single problem, they all print fine and have the names as specified during the installation. Then I tried to install another identical model. When the installation ended, the "Devices &...
  6. "Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab

"Devices & Printers" show driver name instead of name from printer's props General tab: I installed 3 identical network printers on Windows 10 Pro fully updated, 21H1. No single problem, they all print fine and have the names as specified during the installation. Then I tried to install another identical model. When the installation ended, the "Devices &...
  7. Forward slash "/" in printer driver name and sharing

Forward slash "/" in printer driver name and sharing: This is to inform Microsoft that "names" of any printer driver for windows 10 should not include forward slash "/". Including forward slash "/" in the printer driver "name" will cause issues at sharing time from other PCs. Sharing will not possible because windows will...
  8. Displayed shared printer names

Displayed shared printer names: Hello, I have a problem with shared network printer. We have one Ricoh IM C4500 printer and I made different shared printers each with a specific configuration to choose from when you want to print: Size A4 of A3, black or color print... I made 6 shared printers on my...
  9. Changing the name of the printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the name of the printer: How could I change the name to the printers in windows 10? This will help me not to get confused since I have several printers connected and sometimes I do not know which one I need. Thanks in advance....
  10. Printer Naming

Printer Naming: How do I change the names of the printers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-naming/06320b82-a0ca-4353-9e54-6e9c834760a3