Windows 10: DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC.

Discus and support DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, i'm having problems with windows 10 lately. I'm experiencing constant freezing and the only way to get back to "normal" for few time due the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by J. Barz, Mar 25, 2020.

1. J. Barz Win User

DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC.

Hi, i'm having problems with windows 10 lately.

I'm experiencing constant freezing and the only way to get back to "normal" for few time due the constantly problem is restarting the PC directly from the case.

Event viewer show me this error ID 131: DeviceSetupManager.

Metadata staging error, result=0x80004005

This freezings happens randomly even if im not using my PC, but most of them appears when a game starts like League of Legends and World of tanks.

I already tried to fix this doing:

SfC scannow with no errors, everything is fine.

:)

J. Barz, Mar 25, 2020
  2. GIL
    gil Win User

Event Viewer Errors 131+122 DeviceSetupManager

HI.

I'm getting swamped with event id 122 and 131.

My gpedit.msc policy of "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" is set to "not configured"
    and "Turn off Windows Updated device driver searching" is set to Disabled.

Under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
    I have "DeviceMetadataServiceURL"="http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc"

So all should be correct, right?

I have no idea why I'm getting this.

attached Event Viewer message log in zip file.

DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC. [​IMG]

administrative_events.zip

3. Event Error 131-DeviceSetupManager-Metadata staging failed

I have recently been besieged with numerous 'Event Viewer Errors 131- Metadata staging failed.' These errors just appeared for the first time three days ago, and have logged over 100 same events since.

Following an earlier thread, for this same complaint ( DeviceMetadataServiceURL Event 131) the 'DeviceMetaDataServiceURL' ,
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669&clcid=0x409, was found to be incorrect. Web search of this link proved to show an invalid and security threat location. Changing the URL location to http://dmd.metaservices.
    microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc, was given as the solution, and evidently had given some users good results. It has not worked for me, and a Web search of the new URL,
    http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc leads to a '404 Not Found' response, and suggestion to clear the DNS cache. Cache was cleared, but URL still led to "404 Not Found' result. What is the correct 'DeviceMetdataServiceURL'?

While it has been proposed that this is more of a nuisance error, than a major problem, and all other programs and computer functions are working well, the amount of Event Errors 131, is frustrating and bothersome. I have run the SFC checker, DISM
    /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth through the Administration PowerShell, all to no avail. Also a 'Clean Boot' was systematically followed, with no problems noted.

My current version of Windows 10, is Version 1903, (OS Build 18362.356), with the latest Cumulative Update (KB 4515384), and .NET Framework Update (KB 4514359), being recently installed, along with Store Updates for numerous Apps. I mention
    these updates as that is the only recent change made to the OS, prior to the appearance of a multitude of DeviceSetupManager - Metadata Setup failures.

Any help or suggestions regarding this issue, would be appreciated ... sans doing a 'Clean Install' or a 'Repair Upgrade from Windows 10 ISO file', as my ISP connection is very..very slow .. and this issue is not terminal .. at least not yet.. A copy
    of one event error below, with all other 131 Errors similar less specified container:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager

Date: 9/15/2019 9:52:37 AM

Event ID: 131

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-RDH6O3N

Description:

Metadata staging failed, result=0x800704C7 for container '{00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}'

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager" Guid="{fcbb06bb-6a2a-46e3-abaa-246cb4e508b2}" />

<EventID>131</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-15T16:52:37.635620300Z" />

<EventRecordID>372</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="11760" ThreadID="13348" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-RDH6O3N</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="Prop_ContainerId">{00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}</Data>

<Data Name="HRESULT">2147943623</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Thanks,

Andy Asmussen, Mar 25, 2020
  4. DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC.

Event ID 131 Metadata errors happening lately.

2 days later and several shutdown and bootups...Im still seeing just one Event ID 131 DeviceSetupManager error. I expect that this error will also disappear on its own soon but I haven't got a clue why this happens. I went from 16 of these errors a week ago. Then it went down to 11 errors...and now just one. All this without any input whatsoever from me. Event viewer application logs show that when these errors are triggered it seems to be just a timing issue, probably caused by Microsoft Servers because straight afterwards the event is actioned. Very strange!

sportsfan148, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC.

1. DeviceSetupManager Error ID 131. Constant freezing and restart of PC. - Similar Threads - DeviceSetupManager Error 131

2. Why am I seeing lots of Event ID 131 - DeviceSetupManager - Metadata staging failed errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I seeing lots of Event ID 131 - DeviceSetupManager - Metadata staging failed errors?: In Event Viewer I am seeing lots of errors and warning related to DeviceSetupManager problems. Judging from other questions, this is happening widely. I have been investigating this issue and believe I have some information which may be useful to Microsoft engineers. I have...
  3. Why am I seeing lots of Event ID 131 - DeviceSetupManager - Metadata staging failed errors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I seeing lots of Event ID 131 - DeviceSetupManager - Metadata staging failed errors?: In Event Viewer I am seeing lots of errors and warning related to DeviceSetupManager problems. Judging from other questions, this is happening widely. I have been investigating this issue and believe I have some information which may be useful to Microsoft engineers. I have...
  4. KB5032278 Update - ID error 131

KB5032278 Update - ID error 131: Since installing the KB5032278 update, I am receiving DeviceSetupManager error 131 in Event Viewer. The only solution to prevent the error from occurring is to disable the automatic download of manufacturer's applications and icons for devices in the device installation...
  5. PC constantly restarts and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC constantly restarts and freezes: I recently bought a new pc after a Windows update broke my old one. This one started to restart randomly but it didn't bother me too much, it seemed random and nothing was normally important when it did so, it always booted up quickly afterwards. But now after a day it...
  6. PC constantly restarts and freezes

PC constantly restarts and freezes: I recently bought a new pc after a Windows update broke my old one. This one started to restart randomly but it didn't bother me too much, it seemed random and nothing was normally important when it did so, it always booted up quickly afterwards. But now after a day it...
  7. DeviceSetupManager Errors (Event IDs 131, 200, 201 & 202)

in Windows 10 Support
    DeviceSetupManager Errors (Event IDs 131, 200, 201 & 202): Hello, Googling this issue seemed a lot more common a few years back, including on this forum. I am getting the same errors and warnings every time I boot my PC, and whenever I click on ' Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers'. Error 131 says: "Metadata...
  8. Event Error 131-DeviceSetupManager-Metadata staging failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event Error 131-DeviceSetupManager-Metadata staging failed: I have recently been besieged with numerous 'Event Viewer Errors 131- Metadata staging failed.' These errors just appeared for the first time three days ago, and have logged over 100 same events since. Following an earlier thread, for this same complaint (...
  9. DeviceSetupManager Error 162 Repeating Constantly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DeviceSetupManager Error 162 Repeating Constantly: I'm having an error 162 event log error constantly in my event log. I've spoken to microsoft support, and the only info I had was that it was going to be fixed in 'upcoming updates'. Does anybody have any tips on resolving this? It only began happening after I updated the...
  10. Event Viewer Errors 131+122 DeviceSetupManager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event Viewer Errors 131+122 DeviceSetupManager: HI. I'm getting swamped with event id 122 and 131. My gpedit.msc policy of "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" is set to "not configured" and "Turn off Windows Updated device driver searching" is set to Disabled. Under...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. devicesetupmanager event id 131 registry fix

2. devicesetupmanager 131