Windows 10: DFS Namespace issue

Discus and support DFS Namespace issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got an issue with network shares containing shortcuts of themselves. This creates and endless loop when searching, among other issues. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dfosterMB, Jul 29, 2019.

1. dfosterMB Win User

DFS Namespace issue

I've got an issue with network shares containing shortcuts of themselves. This creates and endless loop when searching, among other issues. When attempting to delete the shortcuts, I would receive errors. Using fsutil i was able to find that these shortcuts are DFS Reparsepoints, and also was able to remove the reparsepoints and delete the folders (article). But they kept coming back.

It took a really long time, but I finally figured out that each of the shares with this issue has a DFS Namespace set up, and I believe that the issue is how the targets were created. For instance the shares with this problem exist as such: \\Server1\Share1 and \\Server2\Share1 (these are replicated to each other). The namespace is listed as \\DomainName\Share but its namespace path is \\DomainName\Share1\Share1. I believe this is causing the namespace to create this reparsepoint INSIDE the share instead of AS the share.

I hope this isn't coming across as gibberish. How do I fix this? I can't simply edit the namespace path, and I'm afraid deleting the namespace itself will break everything.

:)

dfosterMB, Jul 29, 2019

2. Correct way to permanently decommission FS1 without effecting the DFS namespace and replication?

Hi, we are looking to decommission our old DFS file server (FS1). FS1 was the original file server where we setup the DFS and replicated to FS2 and FS3. We had all three servers replicating the correctly
    for the past few months. Now we have decided it’s time to decommission FS1. We shutdown FS1 to see if the everything would still function. With FS1 offline, FS2 and FS3 are still replicating without issue.

Can you tell me the correct way to permanently decommission FS1 without effecting the DFS namespace and replication? When I open DFS Management on FS2 I see an error on our namespace. “The namespace cannot
    be queried. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be connected”.

Environment: 3 File servers, 1 namespace, 3 replications

FS1 – Server 2008 R2 (Need to decommission but original creator of DFS namespace)

FS2 – Server 2012

FS3 – Server 2012

1 Namespace

\\domain.com\dfs

3 Replications

\\domain.com\dfs\profiles

\\domain.com\dfs\smfiles

\\domain.com\dfs\test

JEIMY RAFAELLOVERA DAHUAS, Jul 29, 2019
  3. DFS Namespaces on Windows7/10

Hopefully someone can help me figure out this issue we are having...

We want to use DFS Namespaces to house files in one central location across all branches, it is setup and working properly at the central office the namespaces are setup at regardless of operating system (windows 7/10). Heres where the confusion comes in,
    at all other offices, no one using windows 7 can access the namespaces or the network shares that the namespace replicate from. They will get an arbitrary error saying you dont have permissions to access this, which they do, and when they would go to access
    a network share being replicated from it wants a domain login which none work...even a domain admin account will not grant access. Windows 10 users, no problem, they can access everything.
    What is windows 10 doing differently than windows 7 to enable this access or where did we go wrong setting up the namespaces?

MarkAmendola, Jul 29, 2019
  4. DFS Namespace issue

how to sync dfs namespace server into work folders??

we have data in DFS name space server, we need to sync DFS server with work folder, how to integrate DFS to work folder?? if its possible suggest the way to do it.

srithanigaivel, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

DFS Namespace issue

1. DFS Namespace issue - Similar Threads - DFS Namespace issue

2. How to recreate Fileserver running DFS replication and DFS namespaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recreate Fileserver running DFS replication and DFS namespaces: I am currently having issues with our fileserver which is a VM running Windows server 2016 and hosts the DFS replication and namespace of our company. I am having issues with the WinSxs folder and no type of cleanup helps resolve the issue of this folder eating up disk space....
  3. How to recreate Fileserver running DFS replication and DFS namespaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recreate Fileserver running DFS replication and DFS namespaces: I am currently having issues with our fileserver which is a VM running Windows server 2016 and hosts the DFS replication and namespace of our company. I am having issues with the WinSxs folder and no type of cleanup helps resolve the issue of this folder eating up disk space....
  4. Failure to add new DFS domain-based namespace

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to add new DFS domain-based namespace: Hi,I would like to add new DFS domain-based namespace but it could not be completed - "The object identifier does not represent a valid object"However, add namespaces to display also failure - "The RPC server is unavailable"But stand-alone namespace no problem.Could you...
  5. Failure to add new DFS domain-based namespace

Failure to add new DFS domain-based namespace: Hi,I would like to add new DFS domain-based namespace but it could not be completed - "The object identifier does not represent a valid object"However, add namespaces to display also failure - "The RPC server is unavailable"But stand-alone namespace no problem.Could you...
  6. Failure to add new DFS namespace

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to add new DFS namespace: Hi,I would like to add new DFS namespaces but it could not be completed.Could you please help to fix this issue ?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failure-to-add-new-dfs-namespace/14dc1fdc-ac4a-4f0a-a9f2-d21e898de3d2
  7. Failure to add new DFS namespace

Failure to add new DFS namespace: Hi,I would like to add new DFS namespaces but it could not be completed.Could you please help to fix this issue ?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failure-to-add-new-dfs-namespace/14dc1fdc-ac4a-4f0a-a9f2-d21e898de3d2
  8. DFS cache issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DFS cache issue: We have a domain which has 6 different sites, 3 of the sites has a DC and a DFS server. To make this easier to see:Site A: DC + DFS + PCsSite B: DC + DFS + PCsSite C: DC +DFS + PCsSite D: just PCs, all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFSSite E: just PCS all PCs point DNS to site...
  9. DFS cache issue

DFS cache issue: We have a domain which has 6 different sites, 3 of the sites has a DC and a DFS server. To make this easier to see:Site A: DC + DFS + PCsSite B: DC + DFS + PCsSite C: DC +DFS + PCsSite D: just PCs, all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFSSite E: just PCS all PCs point DNS to site...
  10. Network Shares mapped to DFS namespace. On boot PC cant see the path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Shares mapped to DFS namespace. On boot PC cant see the path: OK i have been scouring the internet to find the issue but i cant seem to figure this out. About 2 weeks or so we started to have an issue where on boot user drives wont map correctly. We have the user drives mapped to a folder in the \\domain\Public namespace but for some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. possible cause of dfs namespace not accessible

2. the namespace cannot be queried dfs

3. windows 10 dfs share slow

4. DFS issues,
  5. DFS issue,
  6. Windows cannot access \\<Domain Name>\<DFS Namespace>,
  7. windows 10 dfs issues,
  8. the namespace cannot be queried unable to update the password,
  9. Issues with Windows 10 and DFS share