Windows 10: DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

Discus and support DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After updating existing DFS-N target folders, clients Win10, Win2019, etc. with existing cache DFS-N referral gives ‘Element Not Found’ in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgePerkinsGHCSCW, May 21, 2023.

1. DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

After updating existing DFS-N target folders, clients Win10, Win2019, etc. with existing cache DFS-N referral gives ‘Element Not Found’ in File Explorer GUI or ‘Cannot find path ... because it does not exist’ in CLI errors. Upon investigation, finding DFS-N referral cache entry listed as 'Type: 0x10 OUTSIDE_MY_DOM ' but Expires is not honored and entry is stuck in local cache. The entry is a DFS-N domain path entry, the cached result is incorrect.Work-around: Only restarting the client, or installing RSAT DFS Management tools DFSUTIL can flush the referral cache. Because DFSUTIL is

:)

GeorgePerkinsGHCSCW, May 21, 2023
  2. GeorgePerkinsGHCSCW, May 21, 2023
  3. DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

After updating existing DFS-N target folders, clients (Win10, Win2019, etc.) with existing cache DFS-N referral gives ‘Element Not Found’ (in File Explorer GUI) or ‘Cannot find path ... because it does not exist’ (in CLI) errors.

Upon investigation, finding DFS-N referral cache entry listed as 'Type: 0x10 ( OUTSIDE_MY_DOM )' but Expires is not honored and entry is stuck in local cache. The entry is a DFS-N domain path entry, the cached result is incorrect.

Work-around: Only restarting the client, or installing RSAT DFS Management tools (DFSUTIL) can flush the referral cache. Because DFSUTIL is not something that can be remotely executed, there is no solution without touching the client to install the utility.

Updated DFS-N target folder

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing Jv5ntDfZnx%2bKoS4FciDqhwsUTRQ91pvIape4FN0i94VM2MAuHm98IsAKP%2b9QEtDv6Rxi5TXXvVbH8ZFi9QrXnovEI%3d.jpg

Client referral cache contents

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing RF5gSppFhv4umo6qmnep2gaexuKRFLbtfjNJqRy8LKcceo%2f1RUXQFnwJAxKDat9rSiTVqpG18WscLOW6HWN%2fA7N4U%3d.jpg

Client error message

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing qzWkkGoXt32b1WYfugzHNtUMCMmJXSuH4dMScP2WZeQN4AtpYa0VYdP23SJsaghsd5kJozvKZAjzjPW89denwbIrXSQfM%3d.jpg

Recovery step 1. Delete original DFS-N target folder, re-create a new target to eliminate the false ‘Type:0x10’ ‘( OUTSIDE_MY_DOM )’ error condition.

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing bTLyMX%2bIL%2bUOhpPR5t6%2fYAtbFdF4jq4YaP4xokQmG3DLMHC1Yrw5eYYSgqJVBXSyveQROd67ycb0GqTWFHoCsEg%3d.jpg

Recovery Step 2. Restart Client. Or Use Recovery Procedure 3.

Recovery Step 3a. Add RSAT DFSUTIL to client.

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing QRSeWjreFTOSJEPkJunydU6sYen4l6IlSOQqOcY00VzrCbKu3WHQ5a7%2fJWELVwmmQqlDQsHY4y5lJhZbePcXmpT%2b8%3d.jpg

Recovery Step 3b. DFSUTIL cache referral flush.

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing h9vlAA%2fm%2bfacxYT2QI6Xro40h0iwSa9BX6gOPtVUSX75r8mNUrTwji0h1Oo8LniQLLESIhgSpCo6pX%2f69PXxAlM%3d.jpg

GeorgePerkinsGHCSCW, May 21, 2023
  4. Ruggles_1 Win User

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

DFS cache issue

We have a domain which has 6 different sites, 3 of the sites has a DC and a DFS server. To make this easier to see:
    Site A: DC + DFS + PCs

Site B: DC + DFS + PCs

Site C: DC +DFS + PCs

Site D: just PCs, all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFS

Site E: just PCS all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFS

Site F: just PCs all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFS.

All PCs (all windows 10) in the entire network got built at site A then physically installed at each site.

The DFS issue is that we have 2 shares Share A and Share B that get pushed out via gpo to all users and all sites and PCs. The issue is Share A and B both appear but when you click on them it says "K:\ is not unavailable, if the location is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still cant be found, it might have been moved or deleted." If you wait about 20 minutes or so then the Shares both work at site E and F. This does NOT happen at every site. Sites A, B, C, and D are fine. Site E and F have the issues. All sites have the exact same group policies. If I rebuild a PC at site E or F and rejoin it to the domain they pick up the shares and they work fine. But I dont want to have to rebuild every PC that has the issue. If I clear the DFS cache on the PCs that cant access the shares using the commands (as an admin) "dfsutil cache referral flush" or even "dfsutil /spcflush" it flushes the DFS cache and then after about 2 minutes, the shares appear and work. The issue is though, when I reboot the PCs at sites E and F after clearing the cache they then have the DFS issue after reboot as if it picks up its cached DFS issue from somewehre again. The only way is to rebuild them, which long.

I have checked ADSI to see if there are any old DFS servers or paths still around, there isn't. I have checked that all DFS servers have access based enumeration checked on both shares, they do, they all match. I have ran "DFSDiag /TestDFSIntegrity /DFSRoot:\\domain.com\Fileshares /Recurse" on all servers, there all ok. I have ran dcdiag on the DCs, all came back ok with no issues. if I run 'dfsutil /pktinfo" on a faulty client PC they point to the correct share paths.

One thing I did notice which was a bit weird was that when I ran 'dfsutil /spcinfo' on each DFS server, I found Site B DFS had a * symbol within its actual name output below (but the PCs with the issues are trying to pull the shares from Site A I believe as thats where it gets them from when they do actually work):
    [*][2003server1.contoso.com*contoso.com] - There should not be a * symbol within the name itself as shown here.

[*][CONTOSO]

[*][contoso.com]

[+][CONTOSO]

[-2003server2]

[+2003server1]

[-][contoso.com]

I am out of ideas... any ideas help will be gratefully appreciated. Is there somewhere I can see where the cached DFS info lies or gets pulled from?

Ruggles_1, May 21, 2023
Thema:

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

1. DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing - Similar Threads - DFS Referral Cache

2. OneDrive Referral not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Referral not working: I wanted to refer my friend to OneDrive but the link didn't generate for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-referral-not-working/3abcfe99-6cba-4db1-b7a6-f93e16a7976c
  3. DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing: After updating existing DFS-N target folders, clients Win10, Win2019, etc. with existing cache DFS-N referral gives ‘Element Not Found’ in File Explorer GUI or ‘Cannot find path ... because it does not exist’ in CLI errors. Upon investigation, finding DFS-N referral cache...
  4. DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing

DFS Referral Cache Is Invalid and Not Automatically Refreshing: After updating existing DFS-N target folders, clients Win10, Win2019, etc. with existing cache DFS-N referral gives ‘Element Not Found’ in File Explorer GUI or ‘Cannot find path ... because it does not exist’ in CLI errors. Upon investigation, finding DFS-N referral cache...
  5. My cursor is refresh automatically and it refresh the webpage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My cursor is refresh automatically and it refresh the webpage.: Every in 1 to 2 min my cursor refresh automatically it will affect the browser also. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-is-refresh-automatically-and-it-refresh/5774e323-6527-4aba-a996-460bc1679d67
  6. My cursor is refresh automatically and it refresh the webpage.

My cursor is refresh automatically and it refresh the webpage.: Every in 1 to 2 min my cursor refresh automatically it will affect the browser also. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-is-refresh-automatically-and-it-refresh/5774e323-6527-4aba-a996-460bc1679d67
  7. DFS cache issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DFS cache issue: We have a domain which has 6 different sites, 3 of the sites has a DC and a DFS server. To make this easier to see:Site A: DC + DFS + PCsSite B: DC + DFS + PCsSite C: DC +DFS + PCsSite D: just PCs, all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFSSite E: just PCS all PCs point DNS to site...
  8. DFS cache issue

DFS cache issue: We have a domain which has 6 different sites, 3 of the sites has a DC and a DFS server. To make this easier to see:Site A: DC + DFS + PCsSite B: DC + DFS + PCsSite C: DC +DFS + PCsSite D: just PCs, all PCs point DNS to site A plus DFSSite E: just PCS all PCs point DNS to site...
  9. icons refreshes automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icons refreshes automatically: hi whenever I open any folder in any of my apps all the icons in my computer gets refreshed automatically though when i open anyfolder individually there is no such refresh problem Should i be worried that in long run i might lose all my data? or my computer might...
  10. Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?: Hi. I have two SSDs in my laptop, one of which contains Windows and a few programs, and the other drive is Bitlocker encrypted and contains documents, pictures and games. I am noticing that just recently, my thumbnail cache has rebuilding itself quite frequently, often after...