Windows 10: DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's)

Discus and support DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I'm not sure how it happened but with Windows Networking -- anything seems possible -- Black Magic is easier to fathom out. I did a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Aug 12, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's)

Hi folks

I'm not sure how it happened but with Windows Networking -- anything seems possible -- Black Magic is easier to fathom out.

I did a few "Clone discs" and used essentially on identical hardware on different machines.

One machine just would not connect -- and also a VM on it wouldn't either or wouldn't even display workgroups folder.

With various ifconfig / ipconfig commands (windows / Linux) I saw that two machines had identical IP addresses assigned -- I wonder if it was cloning the HDD's etc got the MAC id's hosed up. Both Machines had identical hardware BTW.

Anyway I deleted all the fixed leases to the router, re-set the lease times and re-booted the whole network -- working fine now.

I thought Windows couldn't use an IP address if it was already being used -- looks like there's also something in the Router's DHCP server as well -- The computers had different Netbios names.

The Wonders of Windows Networking !!!!!!

I'm not surprised many people have weird and wonderful defects on Windows Networking

Like the old US color TV standard (NTSC --Never twice the same color) I think Windows networking also exhibits the same thing too -- even Gandalf the Wizard couldn't get this stuff to work regularly without having to reset and refresh everything.

Two people IMO destined for the fiery gates of that hot place

UK Railways - UK readers might understand this one -- Dr Beeching who ripped up 60% of the rail network with the consequence of hideous traffic jams today if you travel over there and the person who designed networking on Windows !!!!!!

I shoudn't have had to re-boot and re-set 18 devices to get this working again !! --maybe I didn't need to but I'm not a networking guru -- all I know that this - a bit desparate solution - worked.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2019
  2. bencrutz Win User

Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

yep, pretty much all.

for point #2 if you are having difficulty binding static IP in the router, it is ok to set static IP in the camera instead - just make sure you take a note on which IP is which camera so that you wouldnt put the wrong IP in the port forwarding.

am not sure what you meant. you don't need ddns to access the camera locally (from inside your LAN) *Confused DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers  (VM's) :confused:

bencrutz, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

Hootoo HT-IP210F HooToo HT-IP210F Indoor 640 x 480 MAX Resolution R... So far, it's awesome. I haven't been able to get audio, not sure why. The web interface is flaky on my Droid, but works and there is a 3rd party Android APP that supports the camera.

So at this point, I need to:

• Set aside a range of static IP addresses (by default in the ASUS, ALL of the IP addresses .2 through .254 are DHCP).
    • Assign one of the static IP addresses to the camera (in the router)
    • Assign a port to that IP address
    Side note: LAN addresses 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255 are reserved in just about every router (from what I've been told)

I just wish I could understand how DDNS works locally. *Confused DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers  (VM's) :confused:

Sasqui, Aug 12, 2019
  4. DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's)

Finding IP address

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to find printer’s IP address:

1. Type Devices and Printers in the Windows search bar.
    2. Select on the printer and click on
      Manage.
    3. Click on the Ports tab.
      You will be able to find printer’s IP address under the ‘Ports’ tab.

Few printers also have a “Test print” option on the printer. When you print a test page from network printer, the page shows the IP address along with other details.

Note: If it is set on DHCP mode the IP address will constantly change.
    The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's)

1. DHCP assigned the same IP address to 2 computers (VM's) - Similar Threads - DHCP assigned same

2. DHCP server does not assign IP and Yellow Exclamation mark

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DHCP server does not assign IP and Yellow Exclamation mark: Good Day, I am experiencing a bit of a problem with my DHCP Server Windows Server 2012 R2. For some reason it is displaying yellow exclamation icons next to the server and scope tree items. When this happens, no new machines can connect to the network and automatically...
  3. How to add a LAN and assign an IP address

How to add a LAN and assign an IP address: We have been using Windows 7 on an old Dell Latitude D820 laptop for remote monitoring of an inverter. Have recently purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad which is running Windows 10 Pro. Need to set it all up on the Lenovo with Win10. The software is all setup, however it needs a...
  4. The computer has not been assigned an address from the network by the DHCP server for the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer has not been assigned an address from the network by the DHCP server for the...: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin Source: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client Date: 09/12/2022 17:48:26 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: Address Configuration Status Event level: error Keywords:1 User: Local Service Computer: PC-Achim Description: The computer has not been...
  5. The computer has not been assigned an address from the network by the DHCP server for the...

The computer has not been assigned an address from the network by the DHCP server for the...: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin Source: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client Date: 09/12/2022 17:48:26 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: Address Configuration Status Event level: error Keywords:1 User: Local Service Computer: PC-Achim Description: The computer has not been...
  6. The computer has not been assigned an address from the network by the DHCP server for the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. DHCP Ip assignment Latency

DHCP Ip assignment Latency: HiI seem to have an issue with IP assignment latency. We just upgraded all our pc to faster SSD based laptop. and just really noticed it. Here is the situation. Cold boot the laptop to Domain login prompt. At this point the Wired or wireless NIC says network not found. if we...
  8. Static IP Address Assignment - Does Not Work

Static IP Address Assignment - Does Not Work: Hi. Two of my PC's are identical PC Sticks to which I need to sometimes remote in using their names and sometimes I need to remote into them using their IP addresses. They both run Win10 Pro, remote desktop is enabled and I am easily able to remote into both of them and...
  9. 2004 Update breaks 802.1x DHCP IP address assignment

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 Update breaks 802.1x DHCP IP address assignment: After the last major update, our Ethernet connection doesn't work as before when obtaining a IPv4 address assignment from our Windows 2016 DHCP server. The issue affects all our pc from different vendors. When a domain user authenticates to start a new session, he doesn't...
  10. DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied: Hello I wonder if anyone can advise concerning a series of messages appearing in the logs of my two networked computers? Examples of the messages: ON ALPHA: The IP address lease 192.168.0.3 for the Network Card with network address 0x0024E8F1F44F has been denied...