Windows 10: DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

Discus and support DHCP lease renewal resetting my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tenvisitor, Jul 17, 2020.

1. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working fine except that Windows network gets interrupted. The ssh connection (MobaXterm) to Linux drops, manual reconnection works. After DHCP lease renewal, the IP stack of all four machines remains unchanged and the renewal happens very quickly. Even tried IP reservations in the DHCP server, which did not help. Dropping ssh connection is not only annoying but often results in lost work. Linux-to-Linux ssh connections are not affected.

Why simple action like DCHP renewal should have such a destructive effect in Windows and how to fix it?

:)

tenvisitor, Jul 17, 2020

2. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working fine except that Windows network gets interrupted. The ssh connection (MobaXterm) to Linux drops, manual reconnection works. After DHCP lease renewal, the IP stack of all four machines remains unchanged and the renewal happens very quickly. Even tried IP reservations in the DHCP server, which did not help. Dropping ssh connection is not only annoying but often results in lost work. Linux-to-Linux ssh connections are not affected.

Why simple action like DCHP renewal should have such a destructive effect in Windows and how to fix it?

tenvisitor, Jul 17, 2020
  3. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

If these are always wired, why not just used fixed IP addresses? If you don't use DHCP you won't suffer from the effects of lease renewal ... if any.

margrave55, Jul 17, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

Hi there
    you state in the post that for your Linux - manual reconnection works but you don't manually reset your Windows network -- in any case Linux was built from the start as a multi user system with networking integral right from the start so services like ssh(d), samba etc would be re-started after any temporary interruption -- also depending on some distros -- FEDORA, CENTOS, RHEL etc the basic network app ensures network is re-connected on temporary loss of network .

Those type of distros were designed on Robust Servers which rely on solid networking connections -- nobody wants to use a server if connections are often interrupted.

Windows was designed as a home single user system (OK I know there are server editions around but we aren't considering those) and therefore networking is more "Client" based than "Server" based (although you can install open-ssh server in the optional programs section). That makes Windows a bit more robust when network gets interrupted temporarily as the open-SSH server service then re-starts.

To me Windows Networking has always seemed about as scientific as Gandalf the Wizards magic in "The Lord of the Rings" -- sometimes it just works, other times it just fails whatever one does to try and mend it.

You could though minimize the problem by giving really long lease times -- depending on your router --what about 999 days if it goes up that far --- while Linux NAS and servers are often left for very long periods indeed before a reboot --I doubt if there's a single HOME type Windows machine that will go for almost 3 years before being re-booted. On re-boot the lease starts again from 0 so it should fix the windows problem --baring in mind that at least for me I rarely find anything in Windows networking repeatable and predictable --apart from the 100% certainty it will fail regularly !!!.

For all sorts of reasons I don't use Static IP addresses on network - but that's also another thing to consider - it can also make it easier to SSH or RDP into computers when you are on the Internet outside your own home LAN.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

1. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network - Similar Threads - DHCP lease renewal

2. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The DHCP scope lease duration: The DHCP scope lease duration is 8 days but the device lease expires every 30 minutes. I can't figure out why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dhcp-scope-lease-duration/1d5574e8-df11-44c6-96af-dd78250ec884
  3. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The DHCP scope lease duration: The DHCP scope lease duration is 8 days but the device lease expires every 30 minutes. I can't figure out why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dhcp-scope-lease-duration/1d5574e8-df11-44c6-96af-dd78250ec884
  4. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. DHCP lease time

DHCP lease time: What is the best DHCP lease time ? I stick to the default setting which is 120 minutes. And what yours ? 177138
  6. Is there a way to view inactive DHCP Leases on Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to view inactive DHCP Leases on Windows?: Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's a way to view DHCP leases from networks that aren't currently connected on Windows. I'm working on getting an employee's laptop connected via VPN, but want to make sure their home network doesn't have the same addressing as our work one...
  7. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

in Windows 10 Support
    DHCP lease renewal resetting my network: I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working fine except that Windows network gets interrupted. The ssh connection (MobaXterm) to Linux drops, manual reconnection works....
  8. DHCP lease expiring every hour

DHCP lease expiring every hour: I have run the course with our ISP, and nothing seems to be wrong with our computers. The same thing is happening on multiple computers in our household, all wired directly into the modem. We are only getting a one hour DHCP lease, and our internet provider insists it's not...
  9. IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for Network Card denied by DHCP server

IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for Network Card denied by DHCP server: Each time I switch on my W10 PC, I get an Error 1002 "Address configuration status event" show up in event viewer, and its error description is - The IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the Network Card with network address 0x00..snip has been denied by the DHCP server...
  10. Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically: For the past month the lease on the Ethernet Adapter has stopped renewing automatically. This means that when the lease expires it has to be renewed manually by running the Network Troubleshooter. It then renews for 24 hours, at the end of which the connection is again...