Windows 10: DHCP lease time

Discus and support DHCP lease time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What is the best DHCP lease time ? I stick to the default setting which is 120 minutes. And what yours ? 177138 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by teots, Apr 5, 2021.

1. teots Win User

DHCP lease time

What is the best DHCP lease time ? I stick to the default setting which is 120 minutes. And what yours ?

:)

teots, Apr 5, 2021
  2. idahebert Win User

dhcp lease

how do I renew my DHCP lease

idahebert, Apr 5, 2021
  3. graye Win User
    DHCP lease expiring every hour

I'd be looking at your own modem.... since that device is acting as the DHCP server for your home network. It's typically the DHCP server (the modem) that determines the lease time.... the DHCP Clients (the PCs) don't really control the lease time.

I'd recommend that you consult the modem's webpage to see how you can control the DHCP options

BTW: Why is this a big deal.... I can't image that a short lease would be causing you any issues...

graye, Apr 5, 2021
  4. DHCP lease time

KB4493509 causes 6 second IP drop at DHCP lease expiry

I'm not sure why this problem suddenly showed up in
    KB4493509

But one of the updates that this Cumulative Update replaces was KB4490481, and that update:

• Addresses an issue that causes Windows to reuse an expired Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) lease if the lease expired while the OS was shutdown.

So someone at Microsoft has been patching the DHCP code, and it looks to me like they created a new bug.

TechnutCanada, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

DHCP lease time

1. DHCP lease time - Similar Threads - DHCP lease

2. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The DHCP scope lease duration: The DHCP scope lease duration is 8 days but the device lease expires every 30 minutes. I can't figure out why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dhcp-scope-lease-duration/1d5574e8-df11-44c6-96af-dd78250ec884
  3. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The DHCP scope lease duration: The DHCP scope lease duration is 8 days but the device lease expires every 30 minutes. I can't figure out why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dhcp-scope-lease-duration/1d5574e8-df11-44c6-96af-dd78250ec884
  4. The DHCP scope lease duration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots: I've had a problem with my Internet connection for a long time at least since January 15, 2023 and since I'm really fed up, I'm asking for help on this forum. When I share a connection between my Android phone and the computer, I manage to connect but the Internet only lasts...
  6. Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots: I've had a problem with my Internet connection for a long time at least since January 15, 2023 and since I'm really fed up, I'm asking for help on this forum. When I share a connection between my Android phone and the computer, I manage to connect but the Internet only lasts...
  7. Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Problem with automatic extention of DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with automatic extention of DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots: Since January 2nd I'm experiencing some strange behaviour while having my Windows 11 laptop connected to the internet over mobile cellphone hotspots. It suddenly started disconnecting from the internet after the one hour DHCP lease is over, without automatically extending the...
  9. Problem with automatic extention of DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

Problem with automatic extention of DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots: Since January 2nd I'm experiencing some strange behaviour while having my Windows 11 laptop connected to the internet over mobile cellphone hotspots. It suddenly started disconnecting from the internet after the one hour DHCP lease is over, without automatically extending the...
  10. DHCP client doesnt make a new DHCPREQUEST within lease time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DHCP client doesnt make a new DHCPREQUEST within lease time: HiI have some routers with a short DHCP lease time of 15 to 30seconds which is valid according to RFC2131.With most of my previous laptops this has not been an issue, but now I'm trying out some new Dell Latitudes where the network connection is lost multiple times within...