Windows 10: Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active

Discus and support Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Apologies if this has being asked elsewhere but I couldn't find anything describing this exact problem. I'm not sure how long this has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LeoPekoe, Sep 24, 2018.

1. LeoPekoe Win User

Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active

Hi,

Apologies if this has being asked elsewhere but I couldn't find anything describing this exact problem. I'm not sure how long this has been happening but task manager shows 100% disk usage whenever Diagnostic Policy Service is active. I use windows 10.
    Details tab of task manager shows very large I/O read and write being used by svchost.exe. I've tried a few things but not much luck improving performance.
    Is this a known bug, and does anyone know how to fix?

Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active 9921744d-0977-4b6b-ab19-89aa75c06a03?upload=true.png

Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active 1acce79a-6a3b-47d3-9174-15b198c66bc7?upload=true.png

Thanks

:)

LeoPekoe, Sep 24, 2018
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

The Diagnostic Policy Service is not running

Hi,

To resolve this issue, launch the command prompt as Admin and enter
    these:

• Type " net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice " then press Enter.
    • Type " net localgroup Administrators /add localservice " then press Enter.
    Also, we need to make sure that the following services are started.

1. Press Windows key
    + R.

2. On the dialog box, type services.msc

3. Under Services (Local)
    list, find the services: Diagnostic policy, Diagnostic Service, Diagnostic system host.

4. Check the status of the services is started or not.

5. If the services are not started, you can
    Right
    Click a status and Start a service.

6. Restart your computer.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Sep 24, 2018
  3. guthrie Win User
    Diagnostic Policy Service - high CPU

HP laptop problem
    In the last few days, this laptop started having poor performance, with Task manager showing Diagnostic Policy Service taking up to 30% or more of CPU.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4197dx (ENERGY STAR)

Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active [​IMG]

In the last few days it started having poor performance, with Task manager showing Diagnostic Policy Service taking up to 30% or more of CPU.

Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active [​IMG]

Did upgrade of BIOS, no improvement.
    Downloaded all current windows upgrades – no fix.
    I created a new (admin) user, same problem.
    I ran all of the diagnostics in the HP Support Assistant, all passed – no effect.
    I ran "sfc /scannow." and "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" – no effect.

There is an online thread on this in the HP forums, which does not seem to show any fix.
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...c/td-p/6209980

The HP support is abysmal – it took several minutes for him to echo back “so this is your computer system?”, and then the only suggestion was a factory reset.

guthrie, Sep 24, 2018
  4. Rohn007 Win User

Windows 10 Diagnostics Policy Service fails

OK, take 2 on trying to submit this reply (the system was constipated the first time ... lucky I copied the text before it disappeared)

Actually, I believe the message is "the Diagnostic Policy SERVICE is not running".

No problem, simple fix.

I the Start menu type services

right click on it, select "Run as Administrator"

scroll through the list, find "Diagnostic Policy Service"

right click on it, select Properties

Change the "Startup type" drop down to Automatic

click on the "Start" button under "service status"

click on APPLY to save the changes

OK to close the dialog.

That should fix that problem.

Rohn007, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Diagnostic Policy Service / svchost maxing out 100% disk when active - Similar Threads - Diagnostic Policy Service

2. Diagnostic Policy Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnostic Policy Service: I am trying to start the Duagnostiv policy service and everything I have tried doesn't work and if I try to start it in service and do it from there I get access denied when I try to start, it what can I do?...
  3. Diagnostic Policy Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnostic Policy Service: I am trying to start the Duagnostiv policy service and everything I have tried doesn't work and if I try to start it in service and do it from there I get access denied when I try to start, it what can I do?...
  4. A Diagnostic Policy Service 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Diagnostic Policy Service 100% disk usage: Everytime I play any game and in somewhat demanding scene and the FPS is drop and from what I found out from monitoring my resouces in task manager when there are so many effect on my screen and my game would lag a little but the DPS will start doing something and uses 100%...
  5. A Diagnostic Policy Service 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Diagnostic Policy Service 100% disk usage: Everytime I play any game and in somewhat demanding scene and the FPS is drop and from what I found out from monitoring my resouces in task manager when there are so many effect on my screen and my game would lag a little but the DPS will start doing something and uses 100%...
  6. A Diagnostic Policy Service 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Diagnostic policy service not running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Diagnostic policy service not running: My laptop windows 10 keeps saying diagnostic policy service not running. I have tried fixing it and when I hit start it says error 5. I am the administrator and have all privileges. I have googled the issue and can’t seem to fix it. Previously I had issues with my network...
  8. Service Host: Diagnostic Policy Service 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Service Host: Diagnostic Policy Service 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10: Service Host Diagnostic Policy Service is a crucial service policy that is installed by default in all Windows 10 systems. The function of this service is to detect and troubleshoot the issues on Windows 10 system components. It initiates the corrective action automatically...
  9. SVCHOST using 100% DIsk

SVCHOST using 100% DIsk: I am running Build 18985. System is running very slow and System task is using 100% Disk. I have researched the issue and found process SVCHOST using the disk. I have done the following: Disabled Microsoft Update Disabled all startup process Stopped all services except...
  10. Diagnostic Policy Service

Diagnostic Policy Service: It takes 30% of my PC CPU in last 7 days. It is not normal. Any advice how to fix it? thx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-policy-service/7d1e3ebb-a6e6-495d-98d3-60d4ae01b27f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diagnostic policy service 100 disk