Windows 10: Diagonal Screen Tearing

Discus and support Diagonal Screen Tearing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the past month or so, while watching videos or scrolling through web pages, i noticed that there was some diagonal screen tearing (Top Left to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joegti, Nov 4, 2018.

1. joegti Win User

Diagonal Screen Tearing

Over the past month or so, while watching videos or scrolling through web pages, i noticed that there was some diagonal screen tearing (Top Left to Bottom Right). I have no idea how this has happened and i can't stop looking at it. Is there any way to fix this? It happens in chrome and firefox.

:)

joegti, Nov 4, 2018
  2. Jackjt8 Win User

[1 and a half years!] Diagonal Screen Tearing still unfixed.

So before we start, this is not regular screen tearing, it's diagonal.
    Skip to the end for my question
    . Please see the following picture if you don't know what Diagonal screen tearing is:

Diagonal Screen Tearing 02647c45-9577-410b-9500-4724c19540d4.jpg

---

The issue:

(i) Only occurs when a mobile Nvidia GPU to process applications (does not occur when using an Intel GPU)

(ii) Occurs mostly on the internal screen though it can also affect external displays.

(iiI) Only occurs in applications that use the Directx 9, OpenGL, or Vulkun APIs. So far no issues with DX1-8 & 10-12.

(iv) It does not matter if the application is rendering in fullscreen or windowed mode.

(v) Nor does vsync matter.

Affects mobile Nvidia GPU from the 800 series and up.

Nvidia Forums topics on the issue:

1 - Diagonal Screen Tearing Issues on GTX 860M/870M/960M/965M/970M/980M...

2 - Strange screen tearing in DirectX windowed mode on GTX 970M & GTX 870M

There are many different reports of Diagonal Screen Tearing on Google. I'm not going to list them all, but they are there for your viewing pleasure.

Support response:

MSI support has stated that it is an issue with Windows, while Nvidia only say that they know about it and are working on a fix. Other than avoiding the conditions outlined above the best you can, it is NOT fixable by the user. Rather only work arounds exist
    which can, and most likely will, limit functionally in some way, shape or form.

You can see the support responses here: Imgur Link

---

The question: It's been over a year since the issue of diagonal screen tearing was first reported, and yet it still hasn't been fixed. Is this issue even acknowledged by Microsoft? Or have MSI, Nvidia and possibly other manufacturers been
    lying about this?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.*** --
    Funny, this doesn't just affect games. What's the point of putting in Gaming on Windows 10 then?

Jackjt8, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Jackjt8 Win User
    [1 and a half years!] Diagonal Screen Tearing still unfixed.

AkiranoEri, sadly that doesn't fix the problem for most games. In fact, fallout 3 itself never had diagonal screen tear for me.

Jackjt8, Nov 4, 2018
  4. Diagonal Screen Tearing

Diagonal tearing on games

Hello.

I have a horrible diagonal tearing on some games, i have tried Vsync on and off, fullscreen or not, all drivers updated, windows 10 updated.

If i could have a fix it would be really appreciated, thanks.

Geforce 950M

intel core i5-6300HQ

6GB RAM

1920 X 1080 (60Hz)

maxlemaitre, Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

Diagonal Screen Tearing

1. Diagonal Screen Tearing - Similar Threads - Diagonal Screen Tearing

2. Screen Glitching / Tearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Glitching / Tearing: I have an Asus ROG STRIX GL502VMK laptop. After doing the latest update of Windows 10, my laptop has started to have issues with the Windows UI and certain parts of other applications looking pixelated and shifting, like a tearing. Its not constant, and if I leave the Windows...
  3. Screen Glitching / Tearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Glitching / Tearing: I have an Asus ROG STRIX GL502VMK laptop. After doing the latest update of Windows 10, my laptop has started to have issues with the Windows UI and certain parts of other applications looking pixelated and shifting, like a tearing. Its not constant, and if I leave the Windows...
  4. Screen Glitching / Tearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Screen Tearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Tearing: Screen tearing on some websites, including my own. It then causes CPU usage to go up to amounts that make my fans spin up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-tearing/4d40ff08-f771-46dc-95df-9d5131f24a91
  6. Perpetual Screen Tearing issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Perpetual Screen Tearing issues.: So I noticed for a while now that for some reason, as i use my tv as a monitor for my pc, at random intervals my screen will tear and blink. Currently it is connected to my desktop via HDMI cable got it from the guy that put up the tv, and its not just when I play a game....
  7. Screen tearing disappearing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen tearing disappearing?: When I start my pc the screen tears on the bios screen and as the computer warms up it slowly just receeds down the screen into the windows task bar before completely going away. Any ideas whats happening? submitted by /u/dwally161 [link] [comments]...
  8. Screen Tearing with WIN 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Tearing with WIN 10: [IMG][ATTACH]Hello I bought laptop lenovo IP 320 with the following features with windwos 10 https[ATTACH]/www.mytek.tn/pc-portable/12255-pc-portable-lenovo-ideapad-320-i5-7e-gen-4go-1to-2go-dediee-.... so after 6 months of sifting I have problems with all the program...
  9. screen tearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen tearing: I have an Acer Nitro 5 and whenever I play roblox it gives me screen tearing, can anyone help? I've tried vsync but it didn't work ' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-tearing/2dd117fa-c9e3-4776-8dc6-17cc6e5874d1
  10. Screen tearing with D3D in full screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen tearing with D3D in full screen: Hi, at the moment of writing, PC is running with factory setting but it's all up-to-date (Windows updates, Asus updates). When I launch an app (emulators, in the specific case) at full screen, only the 60% (approx.) of the left side of the screen is showing correctly when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diagonal screen tearing