Windows 10: Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup)

Discus and support Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a 1366x768 laptop, set to 100% scaling, connected to an external 4K monitor set to 150% If a dialog box opens on the external monitor it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SteveWhiting1, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup)

I have a 1366x768 laptop, set to 100% scaling, connected to an external 4K monitor set to 150%

If a dialog box opens on the external monitor it is correctly scaled. However if it opens on the laptop screen, or is moved to that screen, it is scaled to 150%, and I can't find any way to fix this

Is there a way tro force dialogs to rescale to the smaling multiplier of the screen they are on?

:)

SteveWhiting1, Jan 9, 2019

2. Dual Monitor Setup issues - 4k and 1080p combination

The issue is worse than it seems at first. I have a 4k display (200%) scaling and a 1080p display (100% scaling) and even office apps look blurry on the 1080p display. If I unplug the 4k display and reboot the problem goes away. I believe the problem is
    present on all apps and is a system issue. It's been suggested that to get the 100% scaling everything on both monitors is generated at 200% and then the part on the 1080p display is downsampled to 100%, resulting in the poor quality.

As it is Windows 10 is almost unusable with a very different DPI dual monitor setup.

RichardLittlewood, Jan 9, 2019
  3. BobWyre Win User
    one High res monitor and one low res monitor

I have one monitor that is 3840 x 2160 (4K monitor) and the other is 1920 x 1440

Using the dual monitor app creates one monitor that is great looking but the low res monitor is so big it is hard to use....

any way to fix this?

BobWyre, Jan 9, 2019
  4. BriC Win User

Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup)

when screen asleep it's as though monitor switches to low res (from 4k)

I just got a 4k (3840x2160) monitor and am using it with windows 10.

When my monitor 'goes to sleep' (computer still active ... not hibernating), and I wake it up with the press of a key or wiggle of a mouse, all the things that were open are resized smaller and squished into the top left of the screen. The resolution is
    still native resolution of the monitor but it's like it switched res to small, then back to native ... thereby leaving the open items squished up into the top left.

So, explorer windows, browsers left running, any applications... all are resized small and to the left when the monitor wakes.

Any suggestions? I have the latest driver running on an Nvidia GTX 950. Otherwise, an older Intel core2duo e8500.

BriC, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup)

1. Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup) - Similar Threads - Dialog box scales

2. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  3. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  4. Multiple 4k Monitors -

Multiple 4k Monitors -: Need help, I have a 4 monitor setup, was 2 1080 and 2 4k monitors, all fine. Decided to replace a 1080 for a 3rd 4k monitor. 2 Identical Samsung and one Benq. The problem is with the Samsungs. One of them can't go into UHD. DxDiag detects its UHD capabilities. Latest NVidia...
  5. scaling hd resolution down to low res screen

scaling hd resolution down to low res screen: hey guys, new build on my part, using an older nvidia 980 card. custom build using a crt 1024x768 4:3 monitor. is there a way to scale down higher res content to my lower res monitor? im picturing 16:9 content, 1920x1080, being letterboxed on my screen. any ideas?...
  6. Dialog Boxes open between monitors

Dialog Boxes open between monitors: I have 3 monitors, 1 4K 3840 x 2160 150% Scaling and 2 standard 1920 x 1080 100% Scaling. Some dialog boxes like UAC Prompts, dialog boxes and even some windowsopen up in-between monitors, usually the 4K and my main screen which is 1920x1080. I have to move the box with the...
  7. 4k and 1080P Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4k and 1080P Monitor Setup: I recently purchased Samsung 32-Inch UJ59 UHD 4K with 3840x2160 resolution. I'm running on a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo Graphic Card TURBO-GTX1080-8G. The 1080p monitor is a Acer G276HL Gbd 27-Inch (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor. My question is, first is that graphics...
  8. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  9. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...
  10. Scaling with multiple monitors

Scaling with multiple monitors: Hi there, I've got a 15 inch Dell laptop with 4K screen. Using the Dell docking station, I'm running 2 external monitors connected over DP ports (LG's 2560*1080 and Dell's 1920*1080) - both external screens run at their respective native resolutions in the extended desktop...