Windows 10: Dictation language can't be changed

Discus and support Dictation language can't be changed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I try to use dictation by clicking Windows key+H an action center notification opens up. It says: Dictation is not available in current language:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Suelu23, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Suelu23 Win User

Dictation language can't be changed

When I try to use dictation by clicking Windows key+H an action center notification opens up. It says: Dictation is not available in current language: Japanese. So I go to the settings, change "Choose the language you speak with your device" to US English, which is what I want, but it reverts back to Japanese when I close the window. Voice recognition works fine in English, just having a problem with dictation.

TIA!

:)

Suelu23, Dec 17, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Dictation not working.

Hello Lina,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you using dictation in Windows or Office application?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: To dictate text:

1. Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2. Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3. Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4. Say the text that you want dictate.

Step 2: You may refer Microsoft article related to Dictating text:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14198/windows-7-dictate-text-using-speech-recognition

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Dictation language can't be changed

Language change

Hi Peter,

It could be that the language pack is missing on your Windows 10 device. With this, we suggest that you try to add the language on your device. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Select Clock, Language, and Region.
    • Under Language, select Add a language.

You may also check the Change input methods on which language are currently installed on your device. You may also click Add a language on the
    Change your language preferences window.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

PreciousLeb, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Dictation language can't be changed

1. Dictation language can't be changed - Similar Threads - Dictation language can't

2. Can't Change Display Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Change Display Language: It's not letting me change the language of Windows to English. I had some issues with my PC and had to reinstall Windows, i'm currently living in Japan so i had no choice but to buy a Japanese one. I thought it was fine, i bought my PC in Vietnam and was able to change the...
  3. can't change language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't change language: why i can't change my display language,in the setting "time and language" when change language also can't find change display language only keyboard language.How can fix this? Thanks...
  4. can't change language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't change language: why i can't change my display language,in the setting "time and language" when change language also can't find change display language only keyboard language.How can fix this? Thanks...
  5. Change input language of Dictation function Windows + H

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change input language of Dictation function Windows + H: Hello,I have two language packs installed on my computer: English and German. Sometimes I want to dictate in German and sometime in English. I have found out that you can change the language by moving the language to the topmost position in the Windows Settings. However it...
  6. Can't change keyboard language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change keyboard language: I can't fit it all in the title, let me explain what I'm looking for exactly: My language pack is fully installed, windows is updated. I'm not trying to Add a language, I'm trying to Add a Keyboard language. The languages I'm looking for are not listed there, but they are...
  7. How to dictate text in German language

in Windows 10 Support
    How to dictate text in German language: Hello, I run English windows 10 with an English speaking country setting. I downloaded the German language pack, but if I try to dictate a text in German by pressing Windows+H key, it only recognizes the text in English. What is the solution? Thanks everybody, regards, Thomas...
  8. Can't change Windows language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Windows language: Hello, I'm working on a laptop that I got from my work so it had a pre-installed Windows on it. The Windows language is set in Dutch and I wanted to change this to English (UK) but whenever I do it seems like the Windows language always gets overridden by Dutch. When you go...
  9. Can't change inteface language

Can't change inteface language: When i'm trying to change my interface language in setting they just freeze and stops answering.Windows updates also failed. When i downloaded update package it show me error 0x80080005. I tried these commands : "regsvr32 jscript.dll" "regsvr32 vbscript.dll" "regsvr32...
  10. Can't change display language

Can't change display language: Hi there! I recently downloaded the Japanese language on my computer just so I could type in Japanese. however I accidentally set it as my display language. I am able to understand the settings but I can't seem to change the display language back to English: when I click on...