Windows 10: Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason.

Discus and support Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I login to my PC I am getting this pop-up after I type in my password. I can't even get into settings. I was downloading Microsoft teams and they... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bambam579, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Bambam579 Win User

Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason.

When I login to my PC I am getting this pop-up after I type in my password. I can't even get into settings. I was downloading Microsoft teams and they asked for a PIN. I tried a few of the pins that I normally use. I tried to reset my PC to finish setting it up and now I can't even login to my PC. HELP!

:)

Bambam579, Dec 2, 2020

2. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason.

'This device has been locked for security reason.'

I am getting this message every time I try to sign in with my PIN. I am able to sign in with my
    password.

But, when I try to change my PIN, I get this:

'The Dictionary Attack Mitigation was Triggered and the Provided Authorization was Ignored by the Provider.'

Windows Hello seems to not recognize me on the lock screen, but subsequently allows me to "Improve Recognition".

I found one other person who had this same issue on his PC:

This device has been locked for security reason. - HP Support Community - 5443577

Does anybody have any ideas?

Surface Pro 4; i5; 128GB

SamuelBianchini, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Skier7667 Win User

As others here, I've had this issue with my Surface Pro 3 and Windows 10 Pro. About 3 weeks ago I could not log in with my PIN, had worked perfectly for 2 years, even if at times I had entered it incorrectly. Then I got blocked. Ran virus check and set
    picture pin. That worked., but I wanted the PIN to work. Read options, to delete folder in Windows/System, but could not due to admin. Changed admin, had to create a 2nd user, then ended up with two admin users and one tied to my Microsoft account and still
    no PIN. I don't mind tinkering, but this was too much. I finally thought that was way to messy and decided to re-install Windows 10 from ISO from MS site - a clean install.

Everything worked fine then this weekend I got a new error - "The dictionary attach mitigation I triggered and the provide3d authorization was ignored by the provider".

Tried to log in, tried to reset PIN, no good. Tried to Log in with PIN, - still no good. So I logged in with picture password. Plugged Surface Pro 3 in for 2 hours while logged in, then tried to change PIN, would fail. I then did normal Shut Down, tried
    to log in with PIN and got the same Dictionary error message. Performed the Shut Down multiple times - no good.

Tried using the Picture Password, waiting 2 hours, then another graceful shut down and still no PIN access and not able to change the PIN.

Last attempt -

1) I set Surface to NEVER Shut Down/NEVER Dim Display when plugged in.

2) Then performed a shut down.

3) Then started it again, but left it on the first Picture start screen for two hours

4) During the two hours I didn't try to log in with any method, just left it on

5) After 2 hours I selected the PIN option, entered the same PIN I had originally set and I was able to log in

Did not use the Admin Run - TPM.mpc - option - which I'm sure it likely works.

My thoughts on this are exactly as one of the first posts indicated in this thread - to plug into power, wait 2 hours and try again. What was missing are the detailed steps in order to accomplish this. It's not just waiting 2 hours, it's how you setup the
    PC while it's waiting for the 2 hours.

It likely doesn't matter whether it's plugged into electrical power or not. What matters is that the PC needs to stay on for at least 2 hours and not turn off. OR run out of battery power, hence why it should be plugged in just in case. It can't go to sleep,
    it can't be logged into a user. It just has to be on
    and the first screen prior to selecting a user log in with credentials is what it need to be on for 2 hours for the error to clear itself. If you log in, then it won't be in that sort of "Limbo" state. No user log in is the trick for the reset
    to take place and have that PC on once turned on to that first visible screen.

This has to be something new (Windows Update) that is triggered due to more stringent security settings. Enter that PIN incorrectly, and it will lock you out.

I hope this will help others that encounter this rather frustrating issue. I rather wait the 2 hours than toy around with security settings if I don't have to.

Skier7667, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason.

I had that same problem. I eventually managed to log on using the email password (not the Microsoft Account one that the tablet requested!). When I tried to change the PIN it told me that I couldn't as it had detected a dictionary attack (me previously repeatedly
    trying the correct PIN!). It did let me delete the PIN, but then wouldn't set up a new one (symptoms as above). I waited for about 3 hours with the tablet idle & plugged into the power (just in case that makes a difference). Then rebooted, logged in with the
    password and was able to set a new PIN (actually the old one). Then I rebooted again & this time was able to log in with the PIN.

Why wouldn't it accept the PIN in the first place ? I've no idea except that it had done a software update the evening before.

Glad it didn't happen when I was with a client.

I'm all for security, but when it stops the real user getting in and there's nothing sensitive on the tablet in the first place, it would be nice to have the option to disable the log on security if the log on request is coming from the devices touch screen
    and associated keyboard - Microsoft please take note.

ThomasCoxon, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered; Device locked for security reason. - Similar Threads - Dictionary attack mitigation

2. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered: Minecraft asked for my Microsoft account PIN while I was trying to download it. I entered it once and it immediately said "The dictionary attack mitigation is triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the provider." I have only ever had one PIN and this happened...
  3. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered: Minecraft asked for my Microsoft account PIN while I was trying to download it. I entered it once and it immediately said "The dictionary attack mitigation is triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the provider." I have only ever had one PIN and this happened...
  4. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...: Hello,I know a thread has been posted before about this issue, but I'm having the same problem, with a different twist.Windows seems confused on whether or not my microsoft account has a Windows Hello Pin. It asks me to create a pin, but says I have one and the account has...
  6. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...: Hello,I know a thread has been posted before about this issue, but I'm having the same problem, with a different twist.Windows seems confused on whether or not my microsoft account has a Windows Hello Pin. It asks me to create a pin, but says I have one and the account has...
  7. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

8. I continually get the message "Microsoft Account Problem, Dictionary Attack Mitigation."

I continually get the message "Microsoft Account Problem, Dictionary Attack Mitigation.": I continually get the message "Microsoft Account Problems, Dictionary Attack Mitigation." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-continually-get-the-message-microsoft-account/cd4cf8ad-a056-4e2f-81c1-ff0fccc92e06
  9. Security Mitigations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Security Mitigations: Under security mitigations in event viewer. I get several warnings of these a day. Process device harddisk volume 3 program files waterfox waterfox.exe was blocked for making system calls to win32k.sys. Is there anything I need to do to not get this worrying and can I just...
  10. dictionary attack

dictionary attack: every time I try to add an email account and add the pin, it wont let me due to a dictionary attack. I have no idea what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictionary-attack/6b927fad-b486-4c34-99ce-6b453f3436a7"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the dictionary attack mitigation is triggered