Windows 10: Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate

Discus and support Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ever since upgrading I've been running into issues such as not being able to install updates and not being able to customize my desktop. After doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Carl, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Carl Win User

Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate

Ever since upgrading I've been running into issues such as not being able to install updates and not being able to customize my desktop. After doing some research, it seems that this is because my copy of Win 10 is not activated.

As the title states, not knowing better, I did a clean install of Win 10 from Win 7 without doing the upgrade first. Because of this my copy of Win 10 is not activated and whenever do I attempt to activate it i get an error saying that it is unable to active at this time. When I click the Get Error Code prompt it bring up a box, there is no error code. FWIW, I have Win 10 installed on two laptops (the first upgraded just fine, though I didn't do I clean install on that one). Also, if I go to my Microsoft account, it shows both laptops under the device screen.

I read elsewhere that Microsoft might be having sever issues and that if I wait the problem will correct itself?

If anybody has any insight into this issue or advice as to what I should do it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Carl, Aug 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 Product key?

Windows 10 is an upgrade to a previous qualifying OS. If you did a clean install BEFORE upgrading via windows update you will be forced to either re-install the previous OS, then upgrade to win 10 or purchase a win 10 key.

There are no keys to activate a system that was not validated before doing a clean install.

If you did not clean install you should not be asked for a key to activate.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 activation through clean install (not upgrade) using Windows 7 key

If you did not upgrade to win 10 and activate before you clean installed you will not be able to activate it. Win 10 must first be done as an upgrade, after which you can clean install

No key will activate the OS if you clean installed first. You will have to reoll back (or re-install) the previous OS then upgrade.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 5, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You must do an upgrade first - that gets activated - before doing a clean install. You have two options at this point - re-install Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 and let it fully activate, then do an upgrade.

Or purchase a Windows 10 retail license which comes with a unique license key.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Click on the "If you choose to create installation media" link at the bottom.

Then click on the "How to perform a clean installation of Windows" link at the bottom.

Also:
    Entering a Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key during a clean install of Windows 10 WILL NOT WORK.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate - Similar Threads - Did Clean Install

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  6. Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting: Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then received a prompt about activation. After this I did another clean install of Windows 10 Pro N with the same result. No...
  7. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  8. Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10

Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10: I recently did a clean install of WIN 7 Pro 64 bit. Prior to this I was getting the opportunity to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro but did not do so on the relevant desktop. I have installed all the hundreds of Windows Updates and rechecked for any more multiple times but I still...
  9. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade: My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would...
  10. Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem.: This is a brand new laptop. Only thing loaded on it was the Windows 8.1 OS. The "Get Windows 10" app said that I qualified for a free upgrade to Windows 10. After reading an article on how to do a clean install of Windows 10, I did the following: 1. Upgraded from Windows...