Windows 10: Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot...

Discus and support Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, A bit of a background before the problem: I have a laptop which has a 1TB HD and a 120GB SSD. Because of WiFi problems, I had to do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Idonotwanttohaveausername, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot...

Hi,

A bit of a background before the problem:

I have a laptop which has a 1TB HD and a 120GB SSD. Because of WiFi problems, I had to do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. Earlier, My SSD had a Windows Recovery partition with the OS. Now upon formatting and deleting all drives and starting from scratch on the SSD, Windows somehow messed up and created Windows RE on my 1 TB drive. Here is what it looks like now:

Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot... ca6bf260-13ea-48c0-b99c-0c1c6d023fde?upload=true.png

I would not bother about this but the problem is my device doesn't boot on first try. It says "a required device could not be accessed". I have to open UEFI settings and use F9 to select Disk 0 in order to boot.

Is there a way besides a clean install again to overcome this i.e. create Windows RE on the SSD so that it boots correctly? Thank you for the answers.

:)

Idonotwanttohaveausername, Sep 12, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 12, 2019
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot...

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot...

1. Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot... - Similar Threads - Did clean install

2. Computer isn't booting up and doesn't detect boot option of SSD after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer isn't booting up and doesn't detect boot option of SSD after clean install: Have an ongoing issue yesterday where my computer is stuck on the boot up loading screen.I tried whatever I could to get it to boot from ssd and also the media installation usb stick that I used to install windows on the ssd 4 months ago. I updated my motherboards bios but...
  3. Computer isn't booting up and doesn't detect boot option of SSD after clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer isn't booting up and doesn't detect boot option of SSD after clean install: Have an ongoing issue yesterday where my computer is stuck on the boot up loading screen.I tried whatever I could to get it to boot from ssd and also the media installation usb stick that I used to install windows on the ssd 4 months ago. I updated my motherboards bios but...
  4. Computer isn't booting up and doesn't detect boot option of SSD after clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...: This is a somewhat unusual problem. I built a friend a new pc and installed windows from a cd onto the PC's ssd. After shutting down the pc after setting up windows I removed the CD drive and proceeded to boot up the PC and it is stuck on the motherboard's logo screen and...
  6. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...: This is a somewhat unusual problem. I built a friend a new pc and installed windows from a cd onto the PC's ssd. After shutting down the pc after setting up windows I removed the CD drive and proceeded to boot up the PC and it is stuck on the motherboard's logo screen and...
  7. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. clean install of windows 10 on ssd will not re-boot

clean install of windows 10 on ssd will not re-boot: In a new build pc, I did clean install of Windows 10 on ssd. But when I restarted the pc, it will not boot up into Windows. Help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-of-windows-10-on-ssd-will-not-re/a46590d9-a5f8-461f-9457-bc776552992b
  9. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,: Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird this worked for 1 month until tonight . 1903 version (os Build 18362.499) Ideas . thanks [img] [img] 144186
  10. boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD

boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD: I bought a new 250 GB SSD and wanted to perform a clean install of windows 10. I installed windows from a USB stick and all seemed to go well until installation finished and I attempted to reboot removing the usb stick after first changing bios to boot from SSD. It wont boot...