Windows 10: Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?

Discus and support Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? I have a Windows 7 computer I use everyday for 10 years in my den. Maybe over 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by FrustrationNeverEnding, May 7, 2022.

1. Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?

Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? I have a Windows 7 computer I use everyday for 10 years in my den. Maybe over 2 years ago Microsoft said they would stop sending updates to Windows 7 computers. I got an update from Microsoft within the past 2 months. Took maybe an hour to install after I turned the computer off. Could this damage my computer? Did Microsoft make a mistake? Here is my proof they did send and i was sucessful install. I copied the information it allows you too, in the update history page. Why is Microsoft sending updates?Windows Malicious Software

:)

FrustrationNeverEnding, May 7, 2022

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, May 7, 2022
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, May 7, 2022
  4. btarunr Win User

Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?

Microsoft to Test Windows 7 Update System

Having propagated Windows 7 RC to a sizable amount of users, Microsoft has created an ideal environment to test the operating system's update system. To test it, Microsoft will release up to ten mock updates this week, starting from Tuesday. The updates do not affect the system in any way, except that they are used by Microsoft to test how the update system itself is able to deal with the various kinds of updates to the OS and its components, in various scenarios generated by people's different hardware configurations and software environments.

These however, won't be the first updates Windows 7 RC received so far. On May 7, Microsoft released a critical-update that fixes an important stability issue with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC. Most mock-updates will install automatically. A certain mock-update will also test a notification feature. This particular update will not install automatically, but rather the user will be prompted to install it (which is what is being tested). To decline from testing the updates, users must toggle Automatic Updates to a setting other than what the OS recommends. Under the hood, the mock-updates simply replace system files with their exact duplicates that are downloaded, hence the system isn't affected in any way. Tests such as these will help Microsoft come up with a much more stable OS when it finally releases.

Sources: WindowsTeamBlog, PC World

btarunr, May 7, 2022
Thema:

Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?

1. Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? - Similar Threads - Did anyone recently

2. Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft?: Did anyone with Windows 7 recently receive updates from Microsoft? I have a Windows 7 computer I use everyday for 10 years in my den. Maybe over 2 years ago Microsoft said they would stop sending updates to Windows 7 computers. I got an update from Microsoft within the past 2...
  3. Did not receive a microsoft purchase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did not receive a microsoft purchase: I did not receive my order 'order:8371292491'. it states that the purchase was completed but after an hour it still has not been added into my 'Gears 5' game....
  4. Did not receive a microsoft purchase

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Did not receive a microsoft purchase: I did not receive my order 'order:8371292491'. it states that the purchase was completed but after an hour it still has not been added into my 'Gears 5' game....
  5. Did not receive a microsoft purchase

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  6. Recent Update from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Update from Microsoft: Just today I accidentally clicked on an update that popped up on my notifications. Post update, the color scheme seemed extremely weird. I even uninstalled the update but nothing has changed. The update said that it had new features for windows 10. There were 3 updates in the...
  7. Did not receive a Microsoft Order

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Did not receive a Microsoft Order: Hello, i didn't get this item "Your Microsoft order #7452490410" which i bought last night, or i do not see it in my Minecraft game. Can you please check what went wrong, or send me my money back. Alexandar ***Modified title from: Microsoft order #7452490410***...
  8. Did anyone here upgrade to windows 10 from Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did anyone here upgrade to windows 10 from Windows 7?: submitted by /u/theking4mayor [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fq3jzz/did_anyone_here_upgrade_to_windows_10_from/
  9. Did not receive rubies from a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did not receive rubies from a game: I need some help with order. 6307587124 It was a purchase for Seekers Notes. Bought rubies and did not receive them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/did-not-receive-rubies-from-a-game/cb45c243-1d0c-48e9-ac1b-44626d9323bc
  10. Has anyone received these two updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Has anyone received these two updates?: Good afternoon folks, I decided to take the plunge, and now have Build 10130 as my everyday Windows installation. So far, it's not been too bad a migration from Windows 7 - I upgraded and haven't lost anything, but it took ages... I digress. Reading here - Issue in...