Windows 10: Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key?

Discus and support Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I didn't know what were all these extra popups, all I knew was I am simply adding my yubikey to login twitter.com and I had done this once when the key... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by imajeff, Oct 24, 2020.

1. imajeff Win User

Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key?

I didn't know what were all these extra popups, all I knew was I am simply adding my yubikey to login twitter.com and I had done this once when the key was new in December but it never said all these cryptic things with no explanation what it is talking about.
    It popped up another dialogue saying, ""Set up your security key to sign in to twitter.com as [10-digits]"
    This is Windows Security asking me these things being called up by chrome (I didn't know what it was before)
    I thought... WHAT? All it did before is tell me when to press the button and then it's done. Only thing to click is Ok.
    Then it said something like,
    "Continue Setup
    Please enter your security key PIN" (maybe not those words because that's just what it says now)
    I have no PIN because I've never set one before, so I tried pressing the button on yubikey assuming if that's not what it meant, it would ask for the PIN again.
    Nope it accepted whatever yubikey sent! I am certain it did not say it was creating a new PIN but it did just that!
    Obviously pressing the button sends something (44 chars) changing every time, so I have no clue what the PIN is now.

I've gone to Windows Sign-in options and confirmed that Security Key has a PIN that I cannot change because I cannot guess it.
    Is this true? Would I not even be able to use it to login Windows because of unknown FIDO2 PIN? I'm confused because I have not seen where it asks me to verify the PIN, I had even added the yubikey again to twitter.com but removed it again because I'm afraid it will ask for the PIN.

Previously in Yubikey Manager I was unable to open the FIDO2 application so I don't know what it was like before I set a PIN... I just needed to Run as Administrator...
    Yubikey Manager -> FIDO2 shows PIN is set, 5 retries left, so I did set a random PIN! All because I was stupid enough to press the button when it asked for the PIN.

I cannot reset this because I assume it would lose my credentials already created in the past year for Google and unknown (I didn't write them down).
    Is there not even any way to know which places I would be locked out of by resetting because maybe I could list them only if I had my PIN?
    Would resetting it also wipe out 2-factor accounts I require Yubico Authenticator for on my phone? I did not save most of those secret keys either.
    There is even one site groups.io that I tried to disable two-factor authentication but will not do it.
    I'm stuck until somebody can give me enough information. So thanks in advance for any help *Smile

Yubikey 5 NFC
    Windows 10 Home ver 2004 (OS Build 19041.572)

:)

imajeff, Oct 24, 2020

2. List/Remove Windows Hello FIDO2 resident Keys

Hi,

is there a way to list and delete FIDO2 resident keys stored on a Windows 10 device using Windows Hello?

For example, if you use this WebAuthn demo application ( A demonstration of the WebAuthn specification ) and set the registration with resident key, where the keys
    are saved?

Thanks

Andrea Giacomin, Oct 24, 2020
  3. List/Remove Windows Hello FIDO2 resident Keys

Hi Elise,

thank you for the reply.

I've registered some resident keys using these FIDO2 demo web services using Chrome and Edge:

1. A demonstration of the WebAuthn specification
    2. Passwordless - FIDO2 & Webauthn for .NET
    On credential manager, both web and windows credential, I didn't find any entry matching the keys registered on the demo web application.

The keys are not present even in this credential manager:

Code:
    rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr
    And are not present in the Windows User Certificate snap-in (certmgr.msc).
    Am I missing something?

Bye

Andrea Giacomin, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Passwordless FIDO2 verification on Android for Google Accounts

Source: https://security.googleblog.com/2019...r-with_12.html

Brink, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key? - Similar Threads - Did randomize PIN

2. So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.: So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11. After installing all available updates, I ran a dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, and it says it found component corruption and is repairable. Why is it saying this when I just did a clean installation? I found this in...
  3. So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.: So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11. After installing all available updates, I ran a dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, and it says it found component corruption and is repairable. Why is it saying this when I just did a clean installation? I found this in...
  4. Did a fresh start, now can't use my pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did a fresh start, now can't use my pin: Did a fresh start and now my pin is unavailable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-a-fresh-start-now-cant-use-my-pin/913a7546-0186-44ce-bb92-a190386a1ad5
  5. Did a fresh start, now can't use my pin

Did a fresh start, now can't use my pin: Did a fresh start and now my pin is unavailable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-a-fresh-start-now-cant-use-my-pin/913a7546-0186-44ce-bb92-a190386a1ad5
  6. I just did a windows update now I can't use my computer at all.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I just did a windows update now I can't use my computer at all.: I downloaded and installed Microsoft updates but when the computer restarted all I got was a black screen with no display at all. I reset several times as was advised in several other support issues I read trying to trigger windows repair. Did this about 5 times now when I...
  7. I just did a windows update now I can't use my computer at all.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just did a windows update now I can't use my computer at all.: I downloaded and installed Microsoft updates but when the computer restarted all I got was a black screen with no display at all. I reset several times as was advised in several other support issues I read trying to trigger windows repair. Did this about 5 times now when I...
  8. I just did a windows update now I can't use my computer at all.

9. I can't sign in W10 using my PIN.

I can't sign in W10 using my PIN.: The laptop does not recognise my PIN for W10.Also there is no option to reset my PIN.I need help please.Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-sign-in-w10-using-my-pin/4897cad6-a6c6-4434-a658-fea6d7f1b0be
  10. I can't use my usb key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't use my usb key: Hello, Recently I've got an problem windows think that my keys are usb disk drivers ! submitted by /u/Gaetan_Chartrer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mmemro/i_cant_use_my_usb_key/