Windows 10: Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key?

Discus and support Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I didn't know what were all these extra popups, all I knew was I am simply adding my yubikey to login twitter.com and I had done this once when the key... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by imajeff, Oct 24, 2020.

1. imajeff Win User

Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key?

I didn't know what were all these extra popups, all I knew was I am simply adding my yubikey to login twitter.com and I had done this once when the key was new in December but it never said all these cryptic things with no explanation what it is talking about.
    It popped up another dialogue saying, ""Set up your security key to sign in to twitter.com as [10-digits]"
    This is Windows Security asking me these things being called up by chrome (I didn't know what it was before)
    I thought... WHAT? All it did before is tell me when to press the button and then it's done. Only thing to click is Ok.
    Then it said something like,
    "Continue Setup
    Please enter your security key PIN" (maybe not those words because that's just what it says now)
    I have no PIN because I've never set one before, so I tried pressing the button on yubikey assuming if that's not what it meant, it would ask for the PIN again.
    Nope it accepted whatever yubikey sent! I am certain it did not say it was creating a new PIN but it did just that!
    Obviously pressing the button sends something (44 chars) changing every time, so I have no clue what the PIN is now.

I've gone to Windows Sign-in options and confirmed that Security Key has a PIN that I cannot change because I cannot guess it.
    Is this true? Would I not even be able to use it to login Windows because of unknown FIDO2 PIN? I'm confused because I have not seen where it asks me to verify the PIN, I had even added the yubikey again to twitter.com but removed it again because I'm afraid it will ask for the PIN.

Previously in Yubikey Manager I was unable to open the FIDO2 application so I don't know what it was like before I set a PIN... I just needed to Run as Administrator...
    Yubikey Manager -> FIDO2 shows PIN is set, 5 retries left, so I did set a random PIN! All because I was stupid enough to press the button when it asked for the PIN.

I cannot reset this because I assume it would lose my credentials already created in the past year for Google and unknown (I didn't write them down).
    Is there not even any way to know which places I would be locked out of by resetting because maybe I could list them only if I had my PIN?
    Would resetting it also wipe out 2-factor accounts I require Yubico Authenticator for on my phone? I did not save most of those secret keys either.
    There is even one site groups.io that I tried to disable two-factor authentication but will not do it.
    I'm stuck until somebody can give me enough information. So thanks in advance for any help *Smile

Yubikey 5 NFC
    Windows 10 Home ver 2004 (OS Build 19041.572)

:)

imajeff, Oct 24, 2020

2. List/Remove Windows Hello FIDO2 resident Keys

Hi,

is there a way to list and delete FIDO2 resident keys stored on a Windows 10 device using Windows Hello?

For example, if you use this WebAuthn demo application ( A demonstration of the WebAuthn specification ) and set the registration with resident key, where the keys
    are saved?

Thanks

Andrea Giacomin, Oct 24, 2020
  3. List/Remove Windows Hello FIDO2 resident Keys

Hi Elise,

thank you for the reply.

I've registered some resident keys using these FIDO2 demo web services using Chrome and Edge:

1. A demonstration of the WebAuthn specification
    2. Passwordless - FIDO2 & Webauthn for .NET
    On credential manager, both web and windows credential, I didn't find any entry matching the keys registered on the demo web application.

The keys are not present even in this credential manager:

Code:
    rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr
    And are not present in the Windows User Certificate snap-in (certmgr.msc).
    Am I missing something?

Bye

Andrea Giacomin, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Passwordless FIDO2 verification on Android for Google Accounts

Source: https://security.googleblog.com/2019...r-with_12.html

Brink, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Did I just randomize a PIN so I can't use my FIDO2 key? - Similar Threads - Did randomize PIN

2. If my "D" key is being held, I can't use the "A" key on my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If my "D" key is being held, I can't use the "A" key on my laptop: Bear with my tech illiteracy please lol So you know when you hold down a key, let's say "X", it will spit out "XXXXXX......" Then lets say you hold on "Y" right after while still holding X it would look like "XXXXYYYYYYY......" For some reason, when I hold down the "D" key...
  3. So, I was reseting my PC and this just happened...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So, I was reseting my PC and this just happened...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Snow344 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hbkd6u/so_i_was_reseting_my_pc_and_this_just_happened/
  4. I can't use my ipad Minecraft key to my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't use my ipad Minecraft key to my PC: Hi, I have minecraft game that I bought on iPad. and I want to play this game with the same license key on my Win10 computer. But I couldn't find how I could do it. Can I use this key to Win 10? Best...
  5. Did I remove my old product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did I remove my old product key?: I had to replace my motherboard and didn't manage to activate my windows afterwards. I found some KMS activation key online and tried that, did this replace my old key or is it still salvageable?...
  6. My pin won't work so now i can't enter the computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My pin won't work so now i can't enter the computer: Okay, so i was starting my computer, and it said that my pin code had "expired", and that i had to make a new one. I did, and then it said that no, i needed now a 6 digit code, which had to be "an actual code" ? so i made a new one, with 6 digits, and now when i try to use it...
  7. Did windows 10 got an update on these logos or did I just catch a virus? If so, what can I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did windows 10 got an update on these logos or did I just catch a virus? If so, what can I...: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/q7s24lqn9lk41.png?width=213&format=png&auto=webp&s=f39bc140632de527b15f774d9a9d5b86354de3de submitted by /u/larguicerdo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fd844i/did_windows_10_got_an_update_on_these_logos_or/
  8. Did I just **** up my Windows 10 license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did I just **** up my Windows 10 license?: Hi, I've been doing some "tweaking" on both my pc and laptop these last days but I think that I screwed it up with the Windows 10 licenses. Basically I wanted to install Linux in both of them which I did sucessfully on my laptop and then I tried to make a dual boot on my pc...
  9. Did I just fry my front USB ports?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did I just fry my front USB ports?: I tried charging a new el cheapo bluetooth speaker on my front USB 3.0 port on my PC. It didn't seem to be charging correctly, as the charge light brightness varied if you wiggled the cord. I moved it to the other front USB 3.0 port, and it was doing the same thing, so I left...
  10. Can't I just buy a product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't I just buy a product key?: I know, people think I am mental. Well you are right. I would personally just prefer to buy a product key and/or hard copy of Windows 10. Why can't I find anywhere to do this? Yes I own 3 licensed copies of 8.1 pro 10037