Windows 10: Did I really clean install?

Discus and support Did I really clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just noticed I may have not perform a real clean installation: I created a bootable USB stick using Rufus, which wasn't detected by my BIOS,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Sep 13, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Did I really clean install?

Hi,

I just noticed I may have not perform a real clean installation:
    I created a bootable USB stick using Rufus, which wasn't detected by my BIOS, so inside Windows I simply plugged the USB stick, double-clicked on the drive under "This PC" and clicked on setup.exe that appeared inside after creating the bootable USB stick.

It did install Windows, but is it a clean install?

:)

mibaup, Sep 13, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Clean Install - Not really?

If you have a windows.old folder then you performed an upgrade, not a clean install. In a clean install your hard drive is erased so there's nothing left to put in to a windows.old folder.

To start a clean install you boot your computer from Microsoft's install media. When you get to the "Which type of installation do you want?" window, you choose "Custom"

Did I really clean install? [​IMG]

Keep in mind that a clean install is one of the most difficult things you can do on a computer. You are starting from scratch, so you must have the technical background to set everything up on your own.

BulldogXX, Sep 13, 2016
  3. JasonRug Win User
    Clean Install - Not really?

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7 but have had all kinds of problems with updates not being downloaded.

I tried pretty much every posted solution found but eventually decided to give up and start again from scratch.

I tried the 'Reset this PC' method but it failed before even starting so I downloaded the install media and ran it tonight. I selected remove apps and my data to give a 'clean install' but I've been left with a windows.old directory full of gigabytes (29Gb)
    of programs and data.

What else was left and how should I have performed the install to remove everything?

JasonRug, Sep 13, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Does Windows boot, load, and come up with a nice desktop? While maybe not an absolute clean reinstall, it might be good enough. If the software "asked" you to reboot one time or two, it could have very well reinstalled quite nicely.

RolandJS, Sep 13, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    That would be considered a repair install with an in-place upgrade.

You would have to boot from the USB stick and install Windows that way, keeping nothing.

simrick, Sep 13, 2016
  6. mibaup Win User
    I found out why the USB wasn't recognized by the BIOS:
    I used Rufus to create the bootable USB, and I chose "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI", which didn't work. so I now chose "GPT scheme for UEFI" , and it is recognized.
    The installation looks different. and this time it is a more "clean" one, because without using it at boot, it leaves some remnants on the PC.

mibaup, Sep 14, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Good to hear. Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Did I really clean install? - Similar Threads - Did really clean

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...

I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...: i recently hade problems with my audio drivers, i had uninstalled my audio drivers and didn't know how to get them back. I installed other drivers but still no audio. I was wondering if i did a clean windows 10 install would all my default audio drivers reinstall and would...
  6. So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.: So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11. After installing all available updates, I ran a dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, and it says it found component corruption and is repairable. Why is it saying this when I just did a clean installation? I found this in...
  7. So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.

So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11.: So I just did a clean installation of Windows 11. After installing all available updates, I ran a dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, and it says it found component corruption and is repairable. Why is it saying this when I just did a clean installation? I found this in...
  8. Just did a clean install of Windows 10....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Just did a clean install of Windows 10....: Hey guys, I have a 128gb SSD that I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on and now my second hard drive my 2TB drive is not giving me permissions to move or view any of my files on this hard drive. Is there a quick and easy way to give my computer access to these files...
  9. hey did a clean install and i have errors..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hey did a clean install and i have errors..: Hello. After I did a clean install of windows 10 a lot of errors started popping up.Most of them are kernel-power errors like this :The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power...
  10. hey did a clean install and i have errors..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hey did a clean install and i have errors..: hello.Thanks to the people that work here I finally clean installed windows 10!*Smile but I ve got some errors.like this The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced...