Windows 10: Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?

Discus and support Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Back in October 2019, Microsoft released an update intended for Autopilot-powered devices to its entire userbase; the company pulled the update soon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 15, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?

Back in October 2019, Microsoft released an update intended for Autopilot-powered devices to its entire userbase; the company pulled the update soon thereafter. It appears that Microsoft made a similar mistake in December 2019 when it pushed yet another update designed for Autopilot-powered devices to other devices.

"Windows Autopilot is a zero-touch, self-service Windows deployment platform introduced with Windows 10, version 1703" according to Microsoft. It enables system administrators to configure and set-up new devices to prepare them for use in production environments. The main idea behind Windows Autopilot is to make things easier for administrators and end-users alike, and it may also reduce deployment, maintenance, and management costs.

Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake? windows-10-update-mistake.png

Microsoft acknowledged that the Windows Autopilot update KB4532441 was made available to non-Autopilot-powered devices. An addendum to the Knowledgebase support articles provides further information and the acknowledgement of the issue:

This update was available through Windows Update. However, we have removed it because it was being offered incorrectly. When an organization registers or configures a device for Windows Autopilot deployment, the device setup automatically updates Windows Autopilot to the latest version.

Our colleagues over at Windows Latest spotted the mistake and wrote about it on December 12, 2019. According to the information, administrators who ran a check for updates using the built-in Windows Update functionality of the Windows 10 devices would see the update returned (up to the point at which Microsoft removed the update).

The update would install but it would be offered again on the next check for updates. Microsoft claims that the update has no effect on devices not powered by Windows-Autopilot and that it should not have been offered to Windows 10 Home devices.

Note There is no effect on Windows Autopilot being offered to Windows 10 devices. If you were offered this update and do not use Autopilot, installing this update will not affect you. Windows Autopilot update should not be offered to Windows 10 Home.

Administrators who notice that the update is installed on their devices that are not powered by Windows Autopilot may uninstall the Windows Update like any other update.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 15, 2019
  2. desennium Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Dec 15, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Releases New Update for Windows Vista

Microsoft yesterday released a new hotfix, KB941649, which improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of Windows Vista. This update includes the following improvements:
    • It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
    • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
    • It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page.
    • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
    • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
    • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
    • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
    • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
    DOWNLOAD

Source: Microsoft

malware, Dec 15, 2019
  4. Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?

1. Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake? - Similar Threads - Did Microsoft release

2. update mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update mistake: when i updated my system to win 11, I got this mistake, the code is 0x800f0983. how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-mistake/5e8b4e0f-156e-4407-b558-d1330a7326a6
  3. Did I corrupt my Windows by mistake?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did I corrupt my Windows by mistake?: Reinstalled Windows, I have realized I've selected the wrong language, I have 2 users, one wasn't set up yet, but it was created. I added the language I want to use, tried to remove the one added by mistake. It signed me out, removed it, entered the second account, it bugged...
  4. I did a mistake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I did a mistake: So..I recently reinstalled windows on my laptop and i went for a clean install(the laptop wouldn't boot). I accidentally deleted(unallocated) my D: drive....Is there any way i can get it back? (currently typing this on the laptop with just 200GB of storage) submitted by...
  5. Did Microsoft reveal Windows 10 21H1's release date accidentally?

in Windows 10 News
    Did Microsoft reveal Windows 10 21H1's release date accidentally?: Microsoft is working on the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system. The company will release two feature updates in 2021 for the operating system, but plans to reverse the order in which these get released. In the previous two years, Microsoft released the...
  6. Windows 10 -- Did not detect another display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 -- Did not detect another display: First Problem: Hooked up external display to laptop running windows 10 = worked fine Tried to hook up second external display = Display settings could not be saved It would detect the first monitor as an Acer #### but the second monitor was labeled Generic Non PNP...
  7. Another free wallpaper pack for Windows 10 released by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Another free wallpaper pack for Windows 10 released by Microsoft: Microsoft’s Windows 10 makes it easier for users to customize their desktop appearance as there are multiple ways to change the theme, colour, lock screen background and more. The look and feel of the desktop and apps can be customized directly from the Settings >...
  8. Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10: Microsoft released -- better re-released -- the updates KB4458469 and KB4457136 on September 26, 2018 for Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows 10 version 1803. What makes the re-release rather problematic is that Microsoft provides virtually no explanation as to why the...
  9. Windows Update released Intel Audio Controller 9.21.0.3755 by mistake

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update released Intel Audio Controller 9.21.0.3755 by mistake: An Intel audio driver was incorrectly pushed to devices via Windows Update for a short period of time earlier this week. After receiving reports from users that their audio no longer works, we immediately removed it and started investigating. If your audio broke recently, and...
  10. Microsoft Releases Another Windows 7/8.1 Patch That Forces Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Releases Another Windows 7/8.1 Patch That Forces Windows 10: Microsoft Releases Another Windows 7/8.1 Patch That Forces Windows 10 Upgrade KB3150513 seems to re-enable upgrade nags Yesterday we reported that KB3035583 has been re-enabled on a number of Windows 7 PCs in order to force the Windows 10 upgrade and it turns out that...