Windows 10: Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive?

Discus and support Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm new here and a little desperate so if there's a better place to ask this please let me know. I bought a Eurocom (Canadian custom laptop)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thrisp, Oct 29, 2019.

1. /u/thrisp Win User

Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive?

Hey guys, I'm new here and a little desperate so if there's a better place to ask this please let me know.

I bought a Eurocom (Canadian custom laptop) Monster 4 two years ago with an SSD and HDD. Bought a $13 OEM key to save some cash and I didn't have any issues until last spring where it would occasionally crash, sometimes on boot it would say "restart and insert proper boot device" or whatever. BIOS shows that my SSD with Windows isn't there. This problem was intermittent.

Two weeks ago it wouldn't even boot up windows and would take me straight to the troubleshooting screen. Entering BIOS reliably showed that the SSD was there so the issue would have been with windows.

I just got it back from CDC Computers after they wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows. Two days after reinstalling all my software, the problems in the first paragraph are happening again. I'm in design school and not having my computer is making things hard but the stress is honestly worse.

If i have to buy a full copy of Windows, so be it, but I want to know if its common or even possible for an OEM key to fuck up your computer's memory? To the point where Windows breaks and BIOS can't even see a drive?

submitted by /u/thrisp
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thrisp, Oct 29, 2019

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Athlonite Win User
    Western Digital No Longer Honoring Warranties on OEM or Bare Drives.

Difference between WD OEM vs. Retail (RTL) drives
    Answer ID 1352 | Last Updated 04/28/2015
    Online Store sells both Retail and OEM packaged hard drives.

There are no physical or developmental differences between our Retail and OEM hard drives

Retail hard drives (Example: WD1200JBRTL) are sold in a retail package and may include the accessories below:

• Quick Installation Guide
    • Acronis Installation Software (must be downloaded)
    OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer hard drives (Example: WD1200JB) are sold to OEM Computer manufacturers or Distributors in bulk packaging (bare drive only).

• OEM drives are sold without accessories or installation software.
    • OEM drives may not contain a warranty from Western Digital. When Western Digital sells hard drives to OEM computer manufacturers such as Dell, Compaq, Apple, etc, we sell these drives without warranty. The OEM computer manufacturer would include the hard drive under the warranty of the computer system that the hard drive was installed into. For more information about hard drive warranties, please see our Warranty Policy.
    If this is the case then OEM HDD's must be sold only to OEM's anything else must be sold as a retail HDD retail stores should be prohibited from purchasing in bulk those HDD's destined for OEM's and only be allowed to purchase and sell retail HDD's any supplier caught selling OEM HDD's to retail stores should be made to honor any warranty which WD themselves would be legally bound to honor on a same type retail HDD

Athlonite, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive?

little cat, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive?

1. Did my cheap OEM key break my hard drive? - Similar Threads - Did cheap OEM

2. Installing a fresh copy of windows10 any edition with my OEM key on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing a fresh copy of windows10 any edition with my OEM key on a new hard drive: I formatted my old laptop, installed a fresh copy of windows 10 Pro and activated it using my organization's activation service, instead of using the OEM key. Now I have a new hard drive and I want to install another copy of windows10 and activate it using my OEM key. Can I...
  3. Installing a fresh copy of windows10 any edition with my OEM key on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing a fresh copy of windows10 any edition with my OEM key on a new hard drive: I formatted my old laptop, installed a fresh copy of windows 10 Pro and activated it using my organization's activation service, instead of using the OEM key. Now I have a new hard drive and I want to install another copy of windows10 and activate it using my OEM key. Can I...
  4. Installing a fresh copy of windows10 any edition with my OEM key on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cheap OEM Sticker with key

Cheap OEM Sticker with key: Hi, I saw many online sellers on different online platform selling this kind of OEM License and the price just around 10USD. It is legal and suitable for Commercial Use?...
  6. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?: I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB hard drive and have a 4TB one on the way. I talked with the Live help earlier, and the person said the license wouldn't work...
  7. Did my PC break my mic?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Did my PC break my mic?: One day when I was talking to people and my mic was working perfectly fine, my PC decided to shut off randomly on its own, probably due to overheating but it could be another reason. Anyway, ever since I turned my PC back on, my mic no longer picks up my voice. Usually...
  8. Why did formatting an external hard drive make it break??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why did formatting an external hard drive make it break??: I really need your guys' help. I quick formatted an external hdd and it won't let me copy files into it. It says fatal hardware error. I tried testdisk and easeus but no progress even after 10 minutes so I gave up automatically since I am in a hurry. I really need to fix this...
  9. Did I break my computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did I break my computer?: So when I got home from work I turned on my pc and was presented with a blue screen. My mom told me the power flickered and that that could be the reason, so I restarted and forgot about it. I was trying to open Microsoft store and it kept crashing every time I tried to open...
  10. Cheap Windows 10 Licence Keys.... OEM Keys

Cheap Windows 10 Licence Keys.... OEM Keys: I have bought multiple laptops that have had OEM windows 10 packaged. I recently built my own pc and am wanting to activate windows 10. After looking on the Microsoft website I saw that the licenses are rather expensive, however, the trial version I have on my pc is perfectly...