Windows 10: Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so.

Discus and support Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As the title says, I encrypted a folder and when prompted to back up the key, I did not do so, but that also meant I skipped adding a password to the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DeathKorpGuardsman, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so.

As the title says, I encrypted a folder and when prompted to back up the key, I did not do so, but that also meant I skipped adding a password to the folder. Which was the whole reason I encrypted it in the first place, how do I add a password to an already encrypted folder?

:)

DeathKorpGuardsman, Jun 5, 2021

2. How find Private key of EFS?

Hi VijayKumhar,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Follow these steps to back up the private key using the Command Prompt as the option ‘export the private key’ is not available.

1. Open CMD or Command Prompt in Admin mode.
    2. Type ‘cipher /x "%UserProfile%\Desktop\EFSCertificates".
    3. You will now get a prompt confirming if you are sure if you want to back up the certificates associated to your files encrypted with EFS Encryption. Click on OK.
    4. It will work as you to enter a password to protect your .PRX file from unauthorized users. Enter the password and hit Enter.
    5. Now, enter the same password to confirm it and then hit Enter.
    Once this is done, a file by name ‘EFSCertificates.PRX’ will be saved on to your Desktop.

Further, if you still face issues, suggest you to post your question in the
    TechNet Windows 10 IT Pro Security where we have support professionals who are
    well equipped with the knowledge and skill to handle queries regarding EFS Certificates issue.

We look forward for your response.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

Windows 10 Pro

Hi Folks,

I am trying to export my EFS certificate as a backup, however I am having no joy.

Note: I can encrypt and decrypt files using EFS no problem using my account.

Trying in Certificate Manger:

certmgr.exe (As Administrator)
    Personal / Certificates
    Right click the EFS cert / Export

The option to export the private key is greyed out, with a note:

The associated private key is marked as not exportable. Only the certificate can be exported

Using cipher.exe:

cipher /x c:\temp\EFSCertBack

Error: Key not valid for use in specified state.

Before I decrypt all of my EFS files and start a fresh any ideas?

Cheers

SuperPlay-UK, Jun 5, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so.

Try3, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so.

1. Did not export my EFS encryption key or add a password, no longer prompts me to do so. - Similar Threads - Did export EFS

2. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  3. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  4. EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  7. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer: One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer instead we are using BitLocker to encrypt all volumes on this computer.Double checked and run "CIPHER.EXE /U /N" and result...
  9. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Hi Folks, I am trying to export my EFS certificate as a backup, however I am having no joy. Note: I can encrypt and decrypt files using EFS no problem using my account. Trying in Certificate Manger: certmgr.exe As Administrator Personal /...
  10. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...