Windows 10: Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future?

Discus and support Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Is it possible to keep a win 10 machine running unattended for months, even after Windows updates? In two weeks I leave town for 3 months.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AliT3, Oct 22, 2020.

1. AliT3 Win User

Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future?

Hello,

Is it possible to keep a win 10 machine running unattended for months, even after Windows updates?

In two weeks I leave town for 3 months. And I need to connect to home machine every day. The house will be locked up and no one can come in and start the machine if it shuts down. Am I doomed or it is possible to keep win 10 running all the time regardless of updates? I do have UPS for power fluctuations

Here's why I am concerned:

I left town last week and the very next day my win 10 Home Edition stopped responding to my RDP calls.

When I got home tonight, the computer was shutdown.

I noticed that the following updates were performed the very day that computer stopped responding last week.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4578974/kb4578974-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577671/windows-10-update-kb4577671

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4580325/security-update

My conclusion is that the updates shutdown the machine and didn't restart.

Is my conclusion correct? And how do I avoid this in the future?

I've read it is no advisable and not even easy to keep win 10 from updating.

So is there a built-in setting to always restart the machine after shutdowns?

:)

AliT3, Oct 22, 2020

2. Shutdown problem on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hello,

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issues with the shutdown function of your laptop:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar beside the Windows icon.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the results.
    • Under System and Security, select Fix Problems with Windows Update.
    • Choose Troubleshoot as an Administrator.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Oct 22, 2020
  3. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

FreeBooter, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future?

Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future? pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future?

1. Did the updates shutdown my laptop and how do I avoid this in future? - Similar Threads - Did updates shutdown

2. Error 0x8071771 on USB, How do I open files & how do I avoid this issue in the future?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x8071771 on USB, How do I open files & how do I avoid this issue in the future?: During the past 10 years, I have used 4 laptops to save files word, pdf, excel... to USB. Now on my current 4th laptop, I am unable to open, copy or attach files saved in USB through earlier laptops. Getting message>Error 0x8071771. Also tried>Select File > Properties >...
  3. Error 0x8071771 on USB, How do I open files & how do I avoid this issue in the future?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x8071771 on USB, How do I open files & how do I avoid this issue in the future?: During the past 10 years, I have used 4 laptops to save files word, pdf, excel... to USB. Now on my current 4th laptop, I am unable to open, copy or attach files saved in USB through earlier laptops. Getting message>Error 0x8071771. Also tried>Select File > Properties >...
  4. Error 0x8071771 on USB, How do I open files & how do I avoid this issue in the future?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I make feature requests for Future Updates?

How do I make feature requests for Future Updates?: Hi, I want to make a big request for Microsoft to add inside a Future Update. How do I do that?If the answer is that you post it here, and MS will read it and submit it for feature additions to future versions: Here's my message:There's a lot to like about Windows 11, but for...
  6. Why did sync center delte these files, and how do I prevent in the future.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did sync center delte these files, and how do I prevent in the future.: I came in today to find that I was missing a large number of files on my office PC. The folders containing these items had been modified about 2 hours after I left the office Friday, which would be the same time I logged on the VPN from my laptop at home to continue server...
  7. Why did sync center delte these files, and how do I prevent in the future.

Why did sync center delte these files, and how do I prevent in the future.: I came in today to find that I was missing a large number of files on my office PC. The folders containing these items had been modified about 2 hours after I left the office Friday, which would be the same time I logged on the VPN from my laptop at home to continue server...
  8. Why did sync center delte these files, and how do I prevent in the future.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Question on what this BSOD means and how to avoid this in the future

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question on what this BSOD means and how to avoid this in the future: So, long story short I was messing around in my Windows 10 Virtual Machine and I was noticing visual artifact in the vm which was strange. After restarting the VM windows immediately gave me this error (https://pasteboard.co/JSTqC4x.png), I'm aware there is nothing I can do...
  10. How do I update and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I update and shutdown.: My update and shutdown option it's gone now all I have it's update and restart, that would be fine, but I'm having problem with my PC boots files, and I have yet to managed to resolved the problem fully. For some reason my PC when restart instead of shut down, it would get...