Windows 10: Did Windows change the windows key search function?

Discus and support Did Windows change the windows key search function? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Up until a few days ago, the search function (with Cortana turned off) ran smooth as silk. Any search through all my PC files took no longer than a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/heavyfuel, May 19, 2020.

1. Did Windows change the windows key search function?

Up until a few days ago, the search function (with Cortana turned off) ran smooth as silk. Any search through all my PC files took no longer than a few seconds.

But now something's changed.

https://imgur.com/FUbPx5d

A simple search now takes FOR-EVER. Quite literally. It's been searching for "paint" for over 5 minutes now.

Also, when the search bar is empty (if type something and then backspace it), it says "Search your computer, the Cloud, or the Web" (translating into English, dunno if it's precisely that)

I don't want to search the Cloud or the Web... I just want my quick PC-only search back.

I'm sure Cortana is disabled. I just checked her settings.

Any help? Thanks!

submitted by /u/heavyfuel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/heavyfuel, May 19, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 search function not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic

Method 1: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, May 19, 2020
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, May 19, 2020
  4. Did Windows change the windows key search function?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Did Windows change the windows key search function?

1. Did Windows change the windows key search function? - Similar Threads - Did change key

2. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: My windows taskbar can't search anything, it crashes instantly and consistently regardless of how many times I try to search anything, the file explorer search function is also broken in the same way, windows troubleshooting could not find any problems with the system, when I...
  3. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: Earlier this month I had good advice from JohnDev about updating an elderly laptop and the non-working Window search function. I though I'd solved that problem but things haven't quite turned out as I'd hoped. The laptop Compaq Presario V6500 with 4Gb RAM is now running...
  4. Keys randomly change functions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keys randomly change functions: The keys on my laptop randomly start doing different things. It's kind of like a shortcut I guess? I tried to press 'T' to talk in a game, but it just put the game in windowed mode and brought up the taskbar. I restarted my laptop and it's working again, but it will most...
  5. Windows search not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not functioning: Is it only me or others are also having problems. my windows search is not working when i type in some app name...even fully it's only showing files but not apps...can someone please help me with this? Thanks.... I'm a windows insider...btw...up to date... updated. submitted...
  6. Change function keys?

Change function keys?: What would be the best way about doing this? I want to change my function keys so when I press F1 it would register as windows+G to open game bar or F2 for game bar to take a screen shot or F3 to record video. I do use some function keys but other then F11 I never use these...
  7. Did they change Windows Key + Tab?

Did they change Windows Key + Tab?: I always remember it making all your tabs show in a folder style and every time you pressed the tab key it would bring a new application to the front. Now it just zooms out to my desktop (Showing my applications in a panel form) and if I press tab it just goes back to the...
  8. how to change function keys?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to change function keys?: I just bought a new asus laptop and would like to change how the function keys work. I don't wanna have to press Fn+ f11 to increase the sound. I want to just press f11. How do I go about this?...
  9. Changing functions on keys on mouses

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing functions on keys on mouses: I have recently bought a Logitech pro mouse with 3 buttons in the thumb area. I am trying to use these to improve my gaming skills in different games. But one of the button are preset to open a recent window that has been opened.(EX: I'm on Fortnite I click this button and it...
  10. the search function is unresponsive (search windows)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    the search function is unresponsive (search windows): when go to type something in the search box, it brings up the requested program. but, when click it, nothing happens. I would have to go to start menu and click from there*Shock 78448