Windows 10: Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

Discus and support Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just right now, as I was writing a Kali Linux on my pen drive using Rufus for testing the Operating System. I got several notifications from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ShaileshSingh91, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

Just right now, as I was writing a Kali Linux on my pen drive using Rufus for testing the Operating System. I got several notifications from Windows defender of Trojan Downloader, Ransomeware etc getting detected and quarantined.Are these false positives? I am adding the screenshots here:

:)

ShaileshSingh91, Nov 12, 2023
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. defender false positive

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, kindly verify the following:

• Where did you submit the file about Windows Defender being false positive?
    • Right after the recent Windows 10 update, your Zara Radio stopped working?
    • Regarding the 404 error, what application were you using when you got that error?

Let us know.

Joanna 777, Nov 12, 2023
  4. Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

database of malware producing false positives or false negatives

Many months ago I communicated with Malwarebytes about a trojan that was detected by Defender that was not detected by Malwarebytes. They indicated that Microsoft Defender is likely a false positive and to wait weeks or months for Microsoft to update their
    database. To date the Defender continues to detect a trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

Defender does not detect any malware on quick scans. However on full scans it detects this trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

How does an end user determine whether one antivirus program is producing false positives or false negatives?

questions_, Nov 12, 2023
Thema:

Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

1. Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb? - Similar Threads - Did defender detect

2. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Bug - False Positive: So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected your PC" when you run the .exe. I have already submitted my .exe here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission and...
  3. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Bug - False Positive: So off late our company software was getting a false positive from Windows' virus and threat protection where it gives a prompt "Windows has protected your PC" when you run the .exe. I have already submitted my .exe here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission and...
  4. Windows Defender Bug - False Positive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?: Just right now, as I was writing a Kali Linux on my pen drive using Rufus for testing the Operating System. I got several notifications from Windows defender of Trojan Downloader, Ransomeware etc getting detected and quarantined.Are these false positives? I am adding the...
  6. Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?

Did Windows defender detect False Positives while writing Kali Linux on my usb?: Just right now, as I was writing a Kali Linux on my pen drive using Rufus for testing the Operating System. I got several notifications from Windows defender of Trojan Downloader, Ransomeware etc getting detected and quarantined.Are these false positives? I am adding the...
  7. False positive in Defender?

False positive in Defender?: Defender has just identified an alleged Script/Wacatc.B1Ml trojan in a zip file that has been on my system for many years. It didn't object to the unzipped version, a vbs file. I don't know where the zip file has been put, to send a sample and I can't remember how to send...
  8. A false positive detected by Windows Defender

A false positive detected by Windows Defender: I need help on my computer's built-in Microsoft Antivirus system. Although I have already deleted the files that caused the false positive to be detected, my pc still gave me this notification NON-STOP.This is not a virus. This is actually a false positive detected by Windows...
  9. Windows Defender False-Positives loop

Windows Defender False-Positives loop: After spending all day on this literally my patience has worn out. I have been using Windows Defender for many years on many different computers, they've done their job and never given me grief-until now. I've been able to download several tools/programs without issue and...
  10. Windows Defender False Positives

Windows Defender False Positives: I received an alarming message from WD which says all antivirus providers are disabled, which I think was a false positives. So I went on a check. And the result: [ATTACH] Protection is on, license is active and my firewall is on too. Can you tell why that message is...