Windows 10: Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update?

Discus and support Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Some days ago Windows Update tried to do the Anniversary Update on my Win 10 Pro 64bit system. The update failed with an error message that said "We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by larrymcg, Aug 10, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update?

Some days ago Windows Update tried to do the Anniversary Update on my Win 10 Pro 64bit system. The update failed with an error message that said "We couldn't update the system reserved partition". I manually retried the update a couple times with the same error message. The error messages do not include an error code.
    After that Windows Update said my device was up to date with no updates available. Hmmmmm.....

And then yesterday an update appeared for the Windows version I was running and now winver shows V 1511 build 10586.545.

Did Windows Update give up on trying to do the Anniversary Update?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Aug 10, 2016
  2. NehaDhuri Win User

Facing some issues while installing Windows 10 anniversary on Windows 10 pro machine.

I am facing some issues while installing Win 10 anniversary version on machine with Win 10 pro. But, I have easily installed win 10 anniversary on machine with Win 10 home. If i am trying to update Win 10 pro for anniversary version then it directly download
    Win 10 pro update only which is higher than Anniversary version.

Kindly give suggestion for installing Win 10 anniversary version.

NehaDhuri, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Anniversary Update issues, reinstalled win 8 - can I upgrade to win10 for free?

The windows 10 Anniversary Update hosed my PC. Tried to reset, and it did not fix the many issues. Reinstall Win 8 from OEM media - can I still get the Windows 10 free upgrade? I liked Windows 10 until the Anniversary update.

TerryGTampa, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. larrymcg Win User
    dalchina, I had seen these posts and others. I think they are all claiming the issue happens when upgrading from Win7/8/8.1 to 10. I've been on Win 10 for many months now. You'd think that once on Win 10 the issue would not happen on a windows update.

I'm not thrilled at the prospect of changing the partitions on my system disk. I'm a fairly experienced user but I've never done any re-partitioning. I guess I'll take a look at that.

My primary question was whether or not Win Update has now given up on updating my system to the Anniversary version? If so, would making the partition of interest bigger cause it to try updating again?

Thanks,
    Larry

larrymcg, Aug 10, 2016
  6. larrymcg Win User
    Here's info on my system disk. Which partition is too small?

Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update? [​IMG]

larrymcg, Aug 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'll simply offer you mine for comparison- I'm not going to claim particular expertise on Win 10's disk requirements- but you might find this of interest. Hopefully someone else will comment if you need more detailed help.

Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update? [​IMG]

Look at what's shown as Disk 2 (my SSD). This is with UEFI.
    This is after the anniversary upgrade, but before any cleanup (i.e. Windows.old still exists on C*Smile- just coming up on the 10 days for the AU rollback limit.

Note there are two 450Mb partitions. In disk management, both are termed 'Recovery'.
    You can see the smaller UEFI and SSD trim partitions too.

Now I have previously also done an in-place upgrade repair, so am not sure when the second 450Mb partition was created. That it was presumes there is space to do so.

On your disk there's no free space. So my guess would be you'd need to shrink your C to leave some.

You may get more from your setup log file- presumably the second of these:
    Log file location Description $windows.~bt\Sources\Panther Log location before Setup can access the drive. $windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback Log location when Setup rolls back in the event of a fatal error. %WINDIR%\Panther Log location of Setup actions after disk configuration. %WINDIR%\Inf\Setupapi*.log Used to log Plug and Play device installations. %WINDIR%\Memory.dmp Location of memory dump from bug checks. %WINDIR%\Minidump\*.dmp Location of log minidumps from bug checks. %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther Location of Sysprep logs.
    To view the Windows Setup event logs

• Start the Event Viewer, expand the Windows Logs node, and then click System.
    • In the Actions pane, click Open Saved Log and then locate the Setup.etl file.
    • The log file contents appear in the Event Viewer.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The 100 MB EFI System partition is too small.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2016
  9. larrymcg Win User
    Does the 100 MB EFI System partition have to be 500MB or even larger?

-- Larry

larrymcg, Aug 11, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    250 MB should be large enough

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Interesting- I upgraded ok and didn't have to worry about that at all.

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    My system partition was increased from the 100MB of Windows 7 to 350MB, when updated to Windows 8, (currently shows 73% used (255.5MB)).

When updated (through WU as this system has been since win7 to test the update system), to Win10 Anniversary Edition it did create a 450MB partition at the end of the drive.

As I am due for a fresh "bare metal" install, (A standard procedure after the Update has worked), I decided to remove the partition and can report no adverse effects since I did this ( 30th July Release Preview)

So it looks as if, (On this system at least), Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary Edition), will run with just the existing 350 MB system partition, In fact a smaller partition would likely work, but am unaware of the variability of the size required so cannot give a figure .

I cannot state what would happen if I had to use the built in recovery options. ( I would either re-install from a system image or fresh install in the event of problems)

Barman58, Aug 12, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Backup your system with something say like Free Macrium, and then do a clean install is how I'd attempt this.
    Then if it doesn't work you can easily revert to previous OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2016
  14. larrymcg Win User
    Seems to me that a clean install is a very expensive (time wise) thing to do to get a Microsoft update.
    I'm not likely to do that - it takes me many, many days to get my applications and databases working again.
    -- Larry

larrymcg, Aug 14, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    I know how you feel about the time.. here's how to do it quickly. (But expensive if you have to buy a license.. depending on how much you think your time's worth, of course...*chuckle)

Use a Laplink product- or perhaps Easeus ToDo PCTrans - normally conceived of as used to move programs and settings to a new PC. But they can simply be used to move them from the same OS to a clean install of that OS.

I've used these several times.. a great time saver. Most done in a few hours - while you get on with life and you PC does the work once you've got things running. 95%+ success. I have a lot of progs installed, and only a few needed manual installation.

dalchina, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update? - Similar Threads - Did Anniversary Update

2. Cannot login to win 10 anniversary update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot login to win 10 anniversary update: Of course after I set everything to not need password login my PC and MS reset everything back to login with password or PIN. Sure these are all saved, on drives etc. only accessible from the PC environment. There is a lot of bad information on how to successfully recover...
  3. Anniversary update gives haphazard login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary update gives haphazard login: Just received the update from 1511 to 1607 and during the login proceedure,the password is sometimes accepted,sometimes rejected,with no logical reason.The only fix so far is to restart.Has anyone else found this to happen and if so,is there a solution? 65626
  4. did Microsoft enhance NTFS in anniversary update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    did Microsoft enhance NTFS in anniversary update?: did Microsoft update or enhance the NTFS file system in the anniversary update cause i am having severe permission issues cause my puter cant duel boot i boot from a removable HDD's my HDD began to run out of space so i got a 6TB hdd and put w8 on it then upgraded to...
  5. Anniversary update not showing up

Anniversary update not showing up: Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎11:33 AM I upgraded from 7 U to 10 Pro about a month ago, I appear to be running 1511, 10586.494 I haven't upgraded to any preview builds or anything. I haven't seen any new updates since the 17th of july besides...
  6. Win 10 Anniversary update

Win 10 Anniversary update: My Laptop, running Win10 Pro 64-bit, updated yesterday, and I am now on this version. Is this the latest? i.e. the MS Anniversary update? [img] 58665
  7. 4 BSODs since Win 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    4 BSODs since Win 10 Anniversary Update: Hi, I bought the Lenovo T460p a few months ago and since the anniversary update of Windows 10 (not 100% sure if that's the cause), I'm receiving BSODs irregularly (e.g. one yesterday, two today within 15 min). I attached the output of the dm log collector: Attachment...
  8. Font Issue with Win 10 1607 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Font Issue with Win 10 1607 Anniversary Update: Hello *Smile I just installed Windows 10 AU and now my loved Font is messed up. But only some letters. Anyone knows why and how to get all letters back? That Problem is system-wide. How to fix? Screenshot: Before: [img] After Win10 Update: [img] You can...
  9. Problem update win 10 anniversary 75%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem update win 10 anniversary 75%: I have read a lot of people have this problem. at 75% the installation failed. i have try with media tool e windwos update but it's the same i have on the pc avira comodo firewall malware antibytes and malware anti exploit [img] caricare immagini 58685
  10. ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update: Does anyone have a link for the ISO file (to make a bootable DVD) for the Anniversary Win 10 update? Thanks, Gerry 64809